GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,289
2 members and 2,287 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII

Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Even if you from the Northeast where Greek life is maybe something that people don't talk about as much on an alumnae level, look at it this way. You are not going to be wearing the same clothes in Mississippi in December that you would wear in New York in December. You're going to do some homework and figure out what is most fit for the weather, the climate, and the campus in general. Ditto the Atlantan who goes to Yale. Neither of you are going to say "but no one in my town has ever gone there before, so I have no idea what to wear." It's the same with rushing and getting recs.

High school teachers have all gone to college (hopefully). Lots of them were in sororities (since lots of them went to teachers' colleges in small towns where there is not a heck of a lot to do). They are the first people to ask.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Even if you from the Northeast where Greek life is maybe something that people don't talk about as much on an alumnae level, look at it this way. You are not going to be wearing the same clothes in Mississippi in December that you would wear in New York in December. You're going to do some homework and figure out what is most fit for the weather, the climate, and the campus in general. Ditto the Atlantan who goes to Yale. Neither of you are going to say "but no one in my town has ever gone there before, so I have no idea what to wear." It's the same with rushing and getting recs.

High school teachers have all gone to college (hopefully). Lots of them were in sororities (since lots of them went to teachers' colleges in small towns where there is not a heck of a lot to do). They are the first people to ask.
QFT
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Bingo!!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread but I think University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is becoming one of those schools where recommendations are sort of important. I personally know a lot of girls this year that didn't get any bids. They're especially necessary/important for the new colonies coming in.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL94 View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread but I think University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is becoming one of those schools where recommendations are sort of important. I personally know a lot of girls this year that didn't get any bids. They're especially necessary/important for the new colonies coming in.
I think you should double-check your facts.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

UVA

UVA is listed as an "up for debate" school, however I am hearing that their recruitment can be brutal. Can someone familiar comment on how recs are perceived there?

I am deep in SEC country and my neighbor will be rushing in Jan. There are currently no girls in sororities at UVA from our town. I have been helping her obtain a rec for each chapter, but over the weekend her mom was getting messages from some of her sorority alumnae that we should be sending two recs per chapter. My initial thought was these women are approaching it through their SEC lenses, but then I remembered previous comments on GC about UVA being a tough recruitment.

Thoughts on one vs two recs per group? We definitely want her prepared, but without the perceived over-kill.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Two would be better than one at UVA.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Two would be better than one at UVA.
Out of curiosity (not argument), is this still true if neither one knows her personally?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs are important at UVA. Two would be better than one, but one is good.

ETA -- didn't see earlier reply.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Out of curiosity (not argument), is this still true if neither one knows her personally?
It's always better to have personal recs. I can't say what any given chapter at any given school will do with a non personal one. I would never write a totally unknown rec. I always get the information from someone I trust and so state on the rec. Otherwise I decline to do one or make it "information only" which is not a real rec with us.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

So are we at a consensus that UVA isn't really "up for grabs?"

Is more than 2 overkill? The neighbor knows 4 members of my own organization really, really well. In addition, her mom remains close with her own chapter sisters (a different group than me) and these women have watched her grow up and also know her really well.

Again, it's walking the "how are we most helpful without annoying the chapter?" fine line.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say 2 for sure but no more than 3. As for her legacy chapter, the mother needs to notify the chapter in whatever manner her group prefers - it may be a legacy form, a rec of her own, whatever. But she needs to do that as they may find it odd if she doesn't.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would say 2 for sure but no more than 3. As for her legacy chapter, the mother needs to notify the chapter in whatever manner her group prefers - it may be a legacy form, a rec of her own, whatever. But she needs to do that as they may find it odd if she doesn't.
I'm fairly certain the legacy form piece has been taken care of but I will confirm with her mom.

Will just stick with 2 for our group. I know both were very well written recs with lots of very specific details about character, personality, and commitment, in addition to the standard resume stuff.

Thank you for the helpful feedback. I have become well versed on SEC, and being from Texas I know how those campuses work too. UVA was a whole new ballgame for me, and not having any local collegians made it that much more of a mystery.

This PNM is beyond amazing and while I would be over the moon for her to join my group, I mostly want her to have a successful recruitment and find the best place for her. There are few PNMs that I would go to these lengths for, and she is one of them.Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I am familiar with UVa. Two will typically not be seen as overkill. More than two (unless the third is meaningfully different)may not be perceived as annoying but wiith some groups may be seen as trying a bit too hard. Women who keep their options open can find a home. Some chapters are quite similar in personality to others, so a PNM may find she really likes a cluster of chapters. If one does not invite her back, another of the others may (which can help with disappointment).

Last edited by pinksequins; 11-12-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added "typically" for any exceptions
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's always better to have personal recs. I can't say what any given chapter at any given school will do with a non personal one. I would never write a totally unknown rec. I always get the information from someone I trust and so state on the rec. Otherwise I decline to do one or make it "information only" which is not a real rec with us.
That's what I am trying to ask, so let me rephrase: if you don't know anyone, and end up getting them through the AP, is it worth it to get two?