GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
4 members and 1,430 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Xidelt

Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Why beer??

Must we always be put in the beer corner? Expected to wait in lines, feet sticking to the floor?? I always prefer to have rum, vodka and mixers... or better yet...a little jungle juice. ANy recipies??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2003, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Why beer? because it's cheap.

I'm going to make the assumption that you are a girl, based on your preferences. But I have to believe that as long as guys are providing the alcohol and girls get to drink for free, that beer will remain the drink of choice for parties put on by college students. I mean if given the choice of a keg for $70 bucks with enough for over 150 drinks, or a handle of hard liquor at $30 with only about 50 shots. Throw in money for mixers and having hard alcohol at parties becomes very expensive.

Further, and more importantly, most inter/national fraternities ban the prescence of hard alcohol at chapter sponosored events as part of their risk management policies. For even the most Animal House of Greek chapters, this is an easy thing to get rid of and to help manage their risk.

As for Jungle Juice recipes:

This is kind of a general one that I've had and made.

Get a large new (ie clean) garbage can: one of the ones you would use to take the garbage out in or put grass clippings in...like 25 gallons or something.

2 handles of everclear
2 handles of fruit flavored schnapps
enough kool aid (any flavor) to fill up the garbage can about 3/4 full, or to taste. Once your about 1/2 full, start tasting to make sure you get the taste you want, then add another pitcher
2-5 pounds of dry ice

Mix all the liquids together and then put in the dry ice. The dry ice will cool it down pretty quick and while it sublimates it will carbonate the jungle juice. The more ice you add the more fizzy it will get.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SKgirlS02
$30 for a handle of hard alcohol??? maybe if you want the name brand but i've gone to TONS of parties put on by frats where there's jungle juice... which they usually use $10-$12 cheap vodka or some other type of alcohol... that's usually the norm.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SKgirlS02
$30 for a handle of hard alcohol??? maybe if you want the name brand but i've gone to TONS of parties put on by frats where there's jungle juice... which they usually use $10-$12 cheap vodka or some other type of alcohol... that's usually the norm.
it's not 10-12 for a handle. You're probably talking about stuff like skol or dimitry.

And anything more than 50 for a keg is ridiculous boys. Check out costco if you don't have any places near you having kegs. I think can are better though personally because they add a huge convenience factor.

-Rudey
Old 11-05-2003, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SKgirlS02
i did say cheap... did not say it was always good
Old 11-05-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Well theres a big difference between alcohol you'd use for jungle juice and what you would have for shots...pretty pointless to buy horrible liquor for shots if no one is going to take any b/c it's so bad.

I don't know what kind of weak ass jungle juice you all drink, but you have to do it right and use everclear...and that's not something youre going to find for 10-12 bucks, unless your grandfather has his own still, or you want to go blind.

As for keg prices...no costco here, and sam's doesn't carry kegs here in Lincoln. About the cheapest we can do keg wise is 58 bucks for a keg of PBR, and all the girls just complain when we do that...nevermind taht they're drinking for free, so I don't know what they are complaining about.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Natural Light is usually the cheap beer of choice here in the kegs! Of course Bud Light is very common too. It would be nice to have a party with mixed drinks and stuff. kinda stray away from the norm.

Nichole
Old 11-14-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sigep533 Send a message via AIM to sigep533 Send a message via Yahoo to sigep533
heaven.....hill..
Old 11-18-2003, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking why beer when you can drink vodka?

Exactly: Why beer? And why not vodka? And not just any old bootleg. I think the clear liquors are much better. And you do not have aweful beer breath. Has anyone tried that new vodka in the aluminum bottle? It looks so cool at parties, and you do not have to worry about gettin rowdy. It doesn't break...
Old 11-18-2003, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Generally speaking, most college parties will have beer b/c it is the most affordable. If hard liquor is purchased, it is usually for a punch/jungle juice and is usually the cheap stuff. If you just cannot do beer, as silly as this may sound, perhaps you should carry a flask. It'll have enough alcohol to make you a few good drinks.

I'm a beer drinker, and I'm a girl. I can do hard liquor, but for the sole reason of affordability, beer is the way to go. Coors Light is my beer of choice. Being the proud Texan I am, can't forget to mention the good ol' Shiner.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: why beer when you can drink vodka?

Quote:
Originally posted by Adonis9
Exactly: Why beer? And why not vodka? And not just any old bootleg. I think the clear liquors are much better. And you do not have aweful beer breath. Has anyone tried that new vodka in the aluminum bottle? It looks so cool at parties, and you do not have to worry about gettin rowdy. It doesn't break...
Again I'll mention the fact that many organization have prohibited the presence of hard alcohol at any chapter event without a third party vendor, as part of their risk management policy...It's not a matter of solely being rowdy, but rather more likely a stipulation of insurance policies. Same thing with most common containers...in that case the chapter is likely to get beer b/c it comes in cans.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Betarulz!
Why beer? because it's cheap.

I'm going to make the assumption that you are a girl, based on your preferences. But I have to believe that as long as guys are providing the alcohol and girls get to drink for free, that beer will remain the drink of choice for parties put on by college students. I mean if given the choice of a keg for $70 bucks with enough for over 150 drinks, or a handle of hard liquor at $30 with only about 50 shots. Throw in money for mixers and having hard alcohol at parties becomes very expensive.

The girls get to drink for free at your mixers??!!!
damn, we're getting ripped!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
The girls get to drink for free at your mixers??!!!
damn, we're getting ripped!!!!!!!!!
That's how it worked when I was an active at FSU. All 16 of the NPC sororities made it clear that they were prohibited from buying alcohol.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Does anyone know a beer to try for a person who doesn't really like beer? I feel like an idiot whenever I'm out and I'm the only one drinking mixed drinks.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Does anyone know a beer to try for a person who doesn't really like beer? I feel like an idiot whenever I'm out and I'm the only one drinking mixed drinks.
You need to try a variety of different types of beer. I used to think that I hated beer, because I was drinking the same low quality American beer as everyone else. Then I started to experiment, and I realized that I love dark beer. You should try ales, lagers, wheat beers, etc. Eventually, you'll find something that you like.