GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,302
1 members and 2,301 guests
MSKKG

Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias85 View Post
12 Parties

I don’t have pictures from Day 2, but on Day 1 I had on a bright yellow miniskirt and an oversized white t shirt with three buttons at the neck and multicolored drawings of the Eiffel Tower all over it. In addition, I belted the t shirt with a wide turquoise colored leather belt slung low around my hips. White sandals completed my snazzy ensemble. I don’t remember if this took place before or after Labor Day so I’m not sure if the white sandals were appropriate or not. Oh, and Lord help me, I had a leather turquoise headband holding my bangs back.[/FONT][/SIZE]

That is a true 80's ensemble! And yay for bangs! At our last Founder's Day where I was the emcee, all the sisters from the various eras (70's, 80's, etc.) are asked to stand up. I joked to the collegians that the sisters from the 80's were easy to pick out because we all still had bangs!

I would love to see pics from these retro stories!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

8 Parties

At my school, at least back in the day, they didn’t do a Philanthropy Round. The parties were just like the first round except that they were longer and we didn’t have to go to as many. Like with Round 1, the parties were distributed over two days. It was fun in that I was able to get more of a sense of what every house was about. Sagittarius prided itself in kicking butt every Greek Week. Cancer usually won Derby Days. Virgo had what I remember as my favorite philanthropy; providing therapy to help critically ill children cope with their illness. Aries had sisters involved in high profile positions all over campus.

When it came time after Round 2, I remember putting Gemini and Taurus at the bottom of my choices partly because they each had half of a floor in the sorority dorm instead of having a whole floor each. I knew I eventually wanted to live in the suite and it didn’t seem that would be a possibility since they had half as many beds as the other houses. Plus, I felt like the sisters at Taurus were following a script when they were talking to me and asking questions and the conversation didn’t really flow very well. I liked Capricorn a lot, but they were such a small house; about 1/3 as big as one of the large houses.

4 Parties

So for the next round, my schedule read:

Sagittarius
Aries
Cancer
Virgo

This is where it got tough because I really liked all four of these houses and it was hard to decide on just two for Prefs.

Sagittarius really seemed to have a big presence on campus. It seemed like there were large groups of them, in letters, EVERYWHERE. I could see myself there, and a big reason for that was because they all looked like me! Medium height, curvy, dark brown bob (the only variation: some with bangs, some without). Their skit was amazing. According to fraternity friends, they were a force to be reckoned with during Greek Week and they took their fundraising very seriously. I really liked Sagittarius, but in the end I worried that I would feel claustrophobic there. It was almost like they expected sisters to be “on” at all times.

Aries seemed like a bunch of fun girls who genuinely liked each other. During the party, their interactions with one another seemed genuine and affectionate. The skit wasn’t perfect, but it was fun and they were enthusiastic. I remember noticing during the week that their table at the cafeteria was always loud and raucous, with tons of people stopping by to say hey and they seemed to know everybody! Aside from the fact that many of them looked like Barbie dolls, they seemed very friendly and down to earth. Their attitude during rush was kind of “wink, wink, yeah you know and I know that this whole thing is kind of silly, but we have no choice.” I found that kind of endearing, actually. Plus, I already knew two or three of the older sisters and liked them.

Cancer, I absolutely loved. I think part of that was, in addition to having some lovely sisters, they were expert rushers. I almost felt like they had a dossier on me or something! I remember a sister I’d never spoken to before making recommendations on which professors were the best in my major and thinking, “How did she know what I want to major in???” Everyone I met was adorable and welcoming and I felt comfortable there but I had to wonder how they interacted without being in such a structured atmosphere. I wasn’t sure I saw the “real” girls.

The girls at Virgo were so sweet and nice and their skit was cute. I was a little bothered to find that several of the sisters on the rushing side of things were actually from another school’s chapter because the chapter at my school was very small. I understand the need to shore up numbers so you don’t have rushees without anyone to talk to, but it felt a little like false advertising to me.

What to do, what to do?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Lovin' your story!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Lovin' your story!
Is she now caught-up in nostalgia, forgetting to continue her story?! PLEASE COME BACK!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe she didn't like her selections and she withdrew from rush?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope it's in the stars for a happy ending!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope we get an update today!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever happened to the OP of this thread? She said she was a longtime poster.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I was so sure this was going to be a whole story. Sigh.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Something says she's busy elsewhere among these GC threads, and may return to her story when GC isn't as abundant with New Member happiness/reports/pictures.