GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,647
3 members and 1,644 guests
g41965, PGD-GRAD, Sister Havana

Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
There is no definitive evidence that shows it helps at all. Like we have said repeatedly, it cannot hurt your chances, but it will not guarantee you a second round invitation. There are too many other factors at IU that get in the way: bed rush, high school connections, legacy policies, RFM, etc.
Perfect, thanks! We should update this in the thread about absolutely needing recs.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

This is the thread about absolutely needing recs!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation...are you the mod for the forum? If so, can you remove Indiana from the list of schools where you absolutley, positively have to have recs? It should be listed as more of a recs can be helpful, but not must have.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

OK!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
This is the thread about absolutely needing recs!
Wow! Haha! How did I totally miss that one? Sorry. Carry on.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
There is no definitive evidence that shows it helps at all. Like we have said repeatedly, it cannot hurt your chances, but it will not guarantee you a second round invitation. There are too many other factors at IU that get in the way: bed rush, high school connections, legacy policies, RFM, etc.
I 100% concur with IndianaSigKap...recs are NOT a must have at IU. More like a nice to have, feather in your cap type of thing. However, they do not guarantee you an invite back to skit round. They are just a 'nice' way of having the chapters know something about you going into recruitment...but you still need to bring your A+ game. And you can still socially torpedo yourself in the semester going into recruitment even if your rec letter says you're Sally Smith, Queen at crafting, Fundraiser of $1 million for XYZ's charity, and want to be RVP
Old 03-18-2015, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping for 2014

Oops! Make that 2015.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 05-06-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Bumping for 2014
And just in time, too.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM

Recs are best when they come from people who know you personally. An alumna in Maine can write a rec for someone going to Iowa with no problem. That's part of the point of the whole rec concept.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Since this thread has been bumped, I'd like to officially register my complaint about Clemson being on the must-have list for recs. Having gone through recruitment as both a PNM and an active at Clemson, I would say that recs are nice to have but by no means necessary to have a successful recruitment.

Obviously I can only speak for my organization when it comes to how we use them, but there are not so many PNMs coming through that girls are automatically cut for not having them. In my opinion Clemson should be moved to the "up for debate list". Recruitment is just not as cut-throat as at SEC schools.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStatePNM View Post
I have a question regarding recs. I do not come from a greek family, but I am planning to go through recruitment in the fall at Iowa State (which is out of state for me). Would I contact Iowa Panhellenics for recs or people in my local area.

I apologize if this has been answered before. I am still searching this site for info, but there is just so much good stuff!
It's best to get recs from people in your area that know you personally. However, they aren't an absolute necessity at Iowa State. It's more just a nice introduction for the chapters, especially as you're coming from out-of-state.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Based on the information i've read here this is what i've gathered but im probably wrong

If i don't know anyone to give me recommendations i go and find alumna from each chapter at my school to write me one, but since i don't these people it will only be information only and be essentially useless anyway? Or do you sometimes actually meet the alumna writing you the recommendations? I've started emailing each chapter about recommendations but now im concerned that they won't be of much help since i don't personally know these people and they don't know me.

help???
Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucf18 View Post
Based on the information i've read here this is what i've gathered but im probably wrong

If i don't know anyone to give me recommendations i go and find alumna from each chapter at my school to write me one, but since i don't these people it will only be information only and be essentially useless anyway? Or do you sometimes actually meet the alumna writing you the recommendations? I've started emailing each chapter about recommendations but now im concerned that they won't be of much help since i don't personally know these people and they don't know me.

help???
First, you do NOT contact individual sorority chapters about recommendations!! EVER~! Where ever you got that information, don't trust them again.

Please read the sticky in sorority recruitment about how to find recs from people that know you. You DO HAVE sorority alumnae in your life. You just have to ask to find out who they are. And sorority alumnae know alumnae in other organizations. ASK.

If you must go to women who do not already know you personally, then YES, we will try to have coffee with you, lunch or at least chat by phone to get to know you as much as possible.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
First, you do NOT contact individual sorority chapters about recommendations!! EVER~! Where ever you got that information, don't trust them again.
oh no i didn't mean like at my school, i went to the npcwomen alumnae page and found a link there for who to contact about them, and if thats the wrong part then i did something very wrong but i already got some responses about finding people.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will be going through recruitment at Tennessee Tech this fall and we are in need of a DPhiE recommendation. It is a newly colonized chapter and doesn't seem to have many alumni in Tn. She has secured recommendations for the other 4 chapters. She has contacted city panhellanic but the don't have any DPhiE members. Any guidance would be appreciated
Thanks,
J