GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 323,996
Threads: 115,401
Posts: 2,191,076
Welcome to our newest member, bobytexaxd4214
» Online Users: 756
0 members and 756 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6556  
Old 02-21-2022, 09:55 PM
RahRah241 RahRah241 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 16
So as promised, here are pictures of the first two members badges that I have saved. (Apologies for the photos, I'm very new to photographing badges.)



Pictured from left to right is our fraternity's gear pin designated to give to family members of significant others, the badge of Robert H. Von Stein from Cedar Rapids who went to Omicron chapter at the University of Iowa. He graduated in 1954 and served in WWII, so he must have been going to school using the GI bill. I saved his badge from fratpin. Next is the badge of William Edwin Bowers whose badge I saved from that website. He graduated in 1948 from Upsilon chapter at the University of Arkansas and he was the artist for the school's engineering magazine. Last is my personal badge.



Here are the backs of each badge. Notice how the placement of the loop that your badge guard would attach to is different on Brother Bowers' badge, which is the oldest. on his badge it is on the back of the gear while on mine and Brother Von Stein's the loop is on the handle of the tongs. The back of each badge contains a brother's name, roll book number, and the year of their graduation. (My badge says I graduate this year which is inaccurate, I still have at least a year left. ). Unfortunately, it seems as if brothers ordering their badges had the option to get their full name engraved on their badge, whereas if I wanted to order myself a new badge today, it only gives me the option to put my last name.



Pictured here is the bird's eye view of the badges. Something interesting that I didn't even think about until I had the older badges in my hand is how much the thickness of the gear on the badge varies. Thinking about it, I can understand why my badge is thicker than the two older ones as mine is just stainless steel plated in gold, but I have no clue why or how the two old badges have different thicknesses. Perhaps it is due to different manufacturers or the type of gold used. Also odd is that only the gear and Greek letters vary in thickness, as the hammer and tongs have a consistent depth on each badge.



Lastly, just for fun, here is all of the badges pictured pinned upon my shirt



Of the two badges that I rescued, I absolutely love how Brother Bowers' badge looks. The pictures don't do it justice but it has an amount of aging that just makes the individual parts of the badge stand out more. I'm glad I could finally contribute to this thread and help keep it alive.
__________________
ΘΤ
Est. 1904

Reply With Quote
  #6557  
Old 02-21-2022, 10:06 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahRah241 View Post
Of the two badges that I rescued, I absolutely love how Brother Bowers' badge looks. The pictures don't do it justice but it has an amount of aging that just makes the individual parts of the badge stand out more. I'm glad I could finally contribute to this thread and help keep it alive.

Yes, I noticed that too. Mr. Bowers' badge has a nice patina to it.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

True and Constant
Reply With Quote
  #6558  
Old 04-02-2023, 04:44 PM
3StringedLyre 3StringedLyre is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 56
So I know this thread is long dead, but itís full of very good info. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some history.

I spotted this miniature badge on EBay (which has sold, unfortunately) and I was very curious as to itís history.


Iíd never seen miniature badges other than a stray mini Kappa key that isnít a standard badge, rather more of an accessory I think. Did Kappa Delta have mini pins? Are they indicative of anything in particular? The badge has initials and chapter engraved on the back, along with a badge number. Not sure if that info is able to be looked up by any KDs? I had heard that miniature badges were stylish for a while, but what time period was that? Badge history fascinates me!
__________________
Real. Strong. Women.
Seeking the Heights since 1885.

Last edited by 3StringedLyre; 04-02-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6559  
Old 04-02-2023, 07:29 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 29,972
Interesting! When I was an active, we had the choice between ordering the standard size and the miniature size badge. I ordered the miniature. I don't thnk they currently have a choice, though. The miniature has three pearls/stones between each point, but the standard at the time had four. Neither of the photos are my pins, although I have a small collection.

The former standard:


The new standard/miniatrue:
__________________
~ *~"ADPi"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #6560  
Old 04-03-2023, 12:32 AM
3StringedLyre 3StringedLyre is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 56
Alpha Chi has had some unique badge designs offered for sale, based on vintage badges created before the design was standardized. But I’m not aware of any miniature badges being sold in recent decades. I’d love to see one if I’m wrong, though!
__________________
Real. Strong. Women.
Seeking the Heights since 1885.
Reply With Quote
  #6561  
Old 05-25-2023, 10:57 PM
KDCat KDCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StringedLyre View Post
So I know this thread is long dead, but itís full of very good info. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some history.

I spotted this miniature badge on EBay (which has sold, unfortunately) and I was very curious as to itís history.


Iíd never seen miniature badges other than a stray mini Kappa key that isnít a standard badge, rather more of an accessory I think. Did Kappa Delta have mini pins? Are they indicative of anything in particular? The badge has initials and chapter engraved on the back, along with a badge number. Not sure if that info is able to be looked up by any KDs? I had heard that miniature badges were stylish for a while, but what time period was that? Badge history fascinates me!
KD doesn't have mini badges, but earlier badges were a lot smaller than current badges.

I can't look up the owner up by that information, but the National office could.

KD gives every member a member number that is your chapter's letters and your initiation number in consecutive order. (Eg. "ZB 101" would be the 101st member of the Zeta Beta chapter of Kappa Delta.) Member numbers are carved on the back of your badge with your initials. I can't tell read the number well enough to tell you a chapter, but if you can you can find a list of active chapters here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Delta_chapters

Single letter chapters are older than double letter chapters. Lower numbers are earlier members.
Reply With Quote
  #6562  
Old 05-29-2023, 05:02 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
KD gives every member a member number that is your chapter's letters and your initiation number in consecutive order. (Eg. "ZB 101" would be the 101st member of the Zeta Beta chapter of Kappa Delta.) Member numbers are carved on the back of your badge with your initials. I can't tell read the number well enough to tell you a chapter, but if you can you can find a list of active chapters here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Delta_chapters

Single letter chapters are older than double letter chapters. Lower numbers are earlier members.
The back of that KD badge has the initials "P.E.P." at the top. Then Sigma and 589 below.

There could be another Greek letter in front of the Sigma; but, it does not appear in a crisp imprint like the Sigma. So that could just be a stray mark on the back of the badge or trick of the camera. Looking at the list of chapters you gave, there is no Sigma single-letter chapter and there isn't a "____ Sigma" chapter that would immediately appear to fit the bill. Possibly Beta Sigma chapter from Univ. of So. Miss.?

At any rate, that's what I got from staring at the photo for a minute.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

True and Constant
Reply With Quote
  #6563  
Old 05-30-2023, 01:02 PM
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,364
^^^ Wouldn't it be great if Gamma Phi did some kind of special 150th anniversary badge. I would love that!
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Badge Trends 2 badgeguy Greek Life 6 03-29-2014 06:18 PM
Trends of the Summer... psychdesire Chit Chat 11 05-13-2009 05:31 PM
Rush Trends... Kevin Recruitment 15 01-02-2004 05:47 PM
Worst trends ever II Dionysus Chit Chat 108 05-04-2003 04:04 AM
Worst trends ever? SH80 Chit Chat 28 08-07-2001 03:35 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.