GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,165
4 members and 1,161 guests
flamboyanttree, John, LaneSig

Old 01-26-2023, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Abigail Zwerner JMU Delta Gamma Alumna

Madness abounds.. You can google Ms. Zwerner's name for a plethora of news.

Ms. Zwerner, a JMU graduate, has been released from the hospital. More than thoughts and prayers are needed, IMO. Way, way more.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 01-26-2023 at 11:12 AM. Reason: grad date
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2023, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

She truly is to be commended…even after she was shot, she made sure every child in her class was safely out of the room.

There’s an ugly lawsuit brewing and there should be. School personnel either ignored or missed SEVERAL opportunities to discover and take that weapon—I hope she’s able to heal in every way.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read that she is a Delta Gamma alumna. As a former elementary school teacher and now substitute, I cannot imagine the shock and terror that she faced that day. She is to be commended for ensuring that her students had safely evacuated the room despite her injuries.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Abby has now given an interview to the Today show in which she gives details of that day and her recovery.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...dent-rcna75336
Old 04-03-2023, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

She has filed a $40M lawsuit against the Newport News schools.
https://t.co/kwPK8p2eIm
(You’ll need Apple News to read it.)
Old 04-03-2023, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
She has filed a $40M lawsuit against the Newport News schools.
https://t.co/kwPK8p2eIm
(You’ll need Apple News to read it.)
Here's an article on NPR about it too.
I know it doesn't take the trauma away, but I hope she gets every penny. Every detail I read horrifies me - that administration was told at least 3 times and did nothing but dismiss staff concerns is awful.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
Here's an article on NPR about it too.
I know it doesn't take the trauma away, but I hope she gets every penny. Every detail I read horrifies me - that administration was told at least 3 times and did nothing but dismiss staff concerns is awful.

I too hope that Abby receives every single cent that she's asking for in her suit. I'm also hoping that the two administrators have their credentials pulled as well.

The administration was well aware that this was a first grade student with a history of violent outbursts towards faculty and peers but chose to not search his clothing. He had been previously transferred to another site for his kindergarten year. He had already had been placed on a modified day schedule which required a parent to be present on campus with him. I'm very concerned that he was permitted to be there without a parent on that day. The parents had declined placement in a special education (SPED) class and insisted on his being placed in a general education class. The SPED class would likely have fewer students as well as aides to assist.

Based upon what I have been reading for years now (prior to the pandemic), too many students, teachers, aides and other school staff members are facing increasing levels of violence from students in elementary school. As a former elementary teacher and now substitute, I am increasingly reluctant to recommend teaching as a career due to my concerns for their personal safety.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

My husband used to teach psychologically disturbed high school students. What he dealt with was horrific but almost none of the teachers would agree to teach the 3-5 year olds. They were far worse than the high schoolers and that is terrifying to me.
Old 04-10-2023, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The mother of the six year old shooter has been indicted by the grand jury on felony charges of neglect. This is a sensible action and I am glad that the parent is facing consequences.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne...8-b5f036e8c3eb

Quote:
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The mother of the 6-year-old who shot a Richneck Elementary School teacher in January was indicted by a grand jury in Newport News Monday, the city's Commonwealth's Attorney's Office announced.

Deja Taylor was charged with felony child neglect and a misdemeanor count of recklessly leaving a firearm that endangers a child.

The charges come after an investigation by the Newport News Police Department and the city's Commonwealth's Attorney's Office. The office said it "determined that the facts and the law" support charges against Taylor for those two offenses.

"Every criminal case is unique in its facts, and these faces support these charges, but our investigation into the shooting continues," Commonwealth's Attorney Howard Gwynn wrote.

Gwynn also announced that he filed a petition in Newport News Circuit Court to create a Special Grand Jury, which will continue an investigation into "any security issues that may have contributed to this shooting."

The investigation is set to continue until it is determined whether or not anyone else involved in the situation will face charges as well.

This comes in the aftermath of increased security measures at schools across Hampton Roads, as well as a $40 million lawsuit that was filed on behalf of the injured teacher, Abby Zwerner, against multiple administrators within Newport News Public Schools for alleged negligence.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

https://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-m...ry?id=98479923

Quote:
The mother of a 6-year-old boy who allegedly shot a teacher at his Newport News, Virginia, elementary school turned herself in to police Thursday.
A grand jury returned two indictments charging Deja Taylor with felony child neglect and misdemeanor recklessly leaving a loaded firearm as to endanger a child, prosecutors said Monday.

Last edited by TLLK; 04-13-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

“There were failures in accountability at multiple levels that led to Abby being shot and almost killed," said Zwerner's attorney, Diane Toscano.

This pretty much sums up everything about this case, and so many other areas in society today. God forbid if anyone actually has to be accountable for their actions or decisions.

I hope this lady gets every last cent from the school district that enabled this psychotic child's attendance and behavior, and I hope she goes after the parent(s) in civil court too.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Update: Ms. Zwerner has resigned her teaching position. I am disgusted by the school board’s “response”.

https://apnews.com/article/abby-zwer...1bd01083c16ec8
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-14-2023, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Update: Ms. Zwerner has resigned her teaching position. I am disgusted by the school board’s “response”.

https://apnews.com/article/abby-zwer...1bd01083c16ec8

Thanks for sharing that, and the way she has been treated all around is awful!

This is just my own opinion, I feel like that entire school board needs to resign. I also say this from a place of my friend's so was killed in the parking lot of a high school in that same district following a high school basketball game. I feel like they need a whole new board and really look closely of finding ways to try and prevent things like this from happening for all of their students.

My heart goes out for Abby, I just can't imagine beyond the physical trauma but the emotional trauma as well.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's the latest information on this case.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-gun-rcna98995

Quote:
New details emerge on how 6-year-old boy who shot Virginia teacher got mom's gun

The child told a teacher after the shooting at Richneck Elementary School that "I did it" and "I got my mom's gun last night," according to newly unsealed court documents.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I logged in to post the latest updates, and see that you’ve done so, thanks. If it’s true what the six year old is alleged to have said, this is so far beyond anything that can be excused or blamed or whatever spin someone might try to put on his actions. And his family as well. Yes those are poorly worded sentences. I’m seeing red and that’s my excuse. No time to rewrite or edit.

This is not going to end well. All the money in the world can’t restore Ms. Zwerner to who she was prior to the shooting. And I don’t have the professional training to address the multiple issues in the shooter and his family.