GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,838
1 members and 1,837 guests
Joobee

Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Question Your summer garden plans?

How will your garden grow this summer?

I've hardly started. I grew some zinnias from seed and tried to grow a bunch of morning glories and sweet peas from seed and only 2 of each came up. Dang! With this horticulture PhD, I know how to treat the seeds for maximum germination and I still can't get either to sprout. Bluebonnets either. I want sweet peas because my grandmother had lots growing in her back yard and they were soooo fragrant.

My husband has potted a bunch of vegetable seedlings. This awful drought isn't helping our gardens at all.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm moving (probably to a condo) I am looking at getting some nice hanging baskets since I won't have much of a yard.What are good flowers/plants for hanging baskets? I'm partial to pansies, but do they do well in a hanging basket?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been trying to kill the morning glories in my yard since I moved in 6 years ago. They pop up everywhere and make me crazy. When I try to pull them, I find that the root is going all the way under the deck to the other side of the deck. What a nightmare. You might be glad that they won't germinate, carnation, seriously.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well, these were going to go into a giant pot and be trained onto a tepee for the fair in the fall. Too bad! Two morning glories won't do that!

Good hanging basket plants include bougainvillea, petunias, portulaca, lantana, geraniums. Pansies can work but only if it doesn't get too hot. I use them every season except summer.

I seriously think there's a giant laurelcherry root under my yard because when I try to pull up the plants, they seem to be connected to something major and we have 80 zillion seedlings every year.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I would love to grow some pot to make brownies. j/k I'm the girl who kills cacti, so even if I did grow some, it probably wouldn't live long enough to make it into my cuisine anyways. But yea, no gardening plans of any kind, except to amire from afar and not touch anything that's green or alive.

Last edited by cuteASAbug; 06-04-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice Carnation! It can get hot and humid in Ohio in the summer, so I will leave my pansy-planting until next Spring.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I've only planted the front yard. (We have a 1 year old dog who I'm not confident has been broken of his digging habit yet, so I'm not wasting any time/money planting flowers in the fenced in backyard yet. lol)

In the front yard, I have...portulaca, dahlias, impatiens, verbena, shasta daisies, dianthus (which I didn't plant this year - they came back from last year, oddly enough), sweet alyssum...there are a few more that I'm drawing a total blank on the flower name! Could give you a good description - ex. the orange daisy looking thing with the bluish purple center - but can't tell you the name. lol

(Note - the front yard has areas that are almost entirely shaded, along with areas that are almost completely full sun. Our front porch casts a weird shadow.)

I'm hoping to plant some red and buff roses somewhere this year - was recently recommended a climbing variety of buff rose, so I'm thinking perhaps I could put it along the fence? We'll see...

I'd also like to plant some lilacs, but probably won't get to that until next year.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm broke as hell and live in an apartment. No garden plans for me.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
Well I would love to grow some pot to make brownies.
Or you could go to Arkansas and gather it wild...when I was in college there, my mother and her buddies came in enchanted with the beautiful weeds they'd found for drying. They wouldn't believe me when I told them it was wild pot. When they finally did, they were panicking and wondering how to get rid of it and my grandmother--who lived right off the campus of the U of Arkansas--insisted they should burn it in her incinerator! LOL! There would have been 2000 students in the back yard within minutes!

I have some jasmine I want to plant by the front porch this week. What a wonderful smell to sit on the porch and enjoy!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Just this morning, I was thinking I should get out the planters and plant some narcusiss and asters. Being that one's a spring and one's a fall, they should be able to go in the same planter, right?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
my mom and i are doing tomatoes, snap peas, cucumbers and broccoli. we do some of our plants in plastic laundry baskets. it works really well if you have limited sunlight in your yard, and you can move the plants to always have some sort of light. we just lined them with a black plastic bag poked with holes, and filled it with dirt!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

My sons and I planted three strawberry plants along the side of the house about a month ago- and this weekend we were able to have our first harvest. So it was only 4 strawberries, but the boys were so excited!
We also planted gypsy peppers, bell peppers, tomatoes, green beans, parsley and oregano- oh and my garlic chives came back with a vengance.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I've been trying to kill the morning glories in my yard since I moved in 6 years ago. They pop up everywhere and make me crazy. When I try to pull them, I find that the root is going all the way under the deck to the other side of the deck. What a nightmare. You might be glad that they won't germinate, carnation, seriously.
Ugh. That happened to me, too - I had mulch put down, and the morning glories came in with that. They've run completely amok, so much so that in my Christmas cards to my neighbors, I said that the boro had turned down my request to use napalm on them!

Carnation, if you want some, you can have ALL of mine!! It's killed so many of my other plants, I refuse to plant anything else until it's gone.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 PM

My neighbors recommended a great nursery where the plants are good quality and inexpensive - the only drawback is that you have to buy the whole flat. So I have a flat of cucumbers (!), and half a flat each of habaneros and bell peppers (we each bought a flat and then divided them). Also, I got a flat each of marigolds, impatiens, verbena, and some other pretty purple flower whose name I'm blanking on.

Elsewhere, I got basil, cilantro, tomatoes, mint, and some geraniums and petunias in hanging baskets.

I didn't get everything down in time, so a few of the plants died , but everything else is thriving. I am going to have so many cucumbers...! Cucumber salad, anyone?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Carnation--I have a question for you. I live in an apartment with a patio. I try to grow things in long window boxes. My porch gets full sun, and I love to know what I could grow. If it helps, I live in Pennsylvania.