GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,811
2 members and 2,809 guests
asydneytianov33, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down Telemarketers & your cell phone

I don't know if this is just for Pennsylvania or not, but within the next few days your cell phone number(s) will be open to telemarketers. If you do not want to be on their list call 1-888-382-1222 or go to https://www.donotcall.gov/Register/Reg.aspx & register your number(s) online.

Pass this on to anyone that you think necessary.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I do not believe cell phone numbers will be published or sold. You can only get the number by calling 411.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Believe it or disregard it - I got this from a very good source, or I wouldn't have posted it. As I said, it might just be a state thing.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I've been getting calls from Nevada telling me that I have been approved for a grant.

KLTC
Old 12-07-2004, 10:55 PM

As with many things, it varies from state to state.

Connecticut has a do-not-call list, and you can list your cell phone as well as your landline. When the federal do-not-call list was introduced, Connecticut's list (along with several other states' lists) was included.

Now, what we really need is a do-not-text-message list.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 AM

Our fax machine at work get an average of one telemarket/junk fax a day. Sometimes more. Wastes paper and ink.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The1calledTKE
I do not believe cell phone numbers will be published or sold. You can only get the number by calling 411.
According to snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp), the list is being compiled but for purposes of a 411 registry of cell phones, it is not at this time going to be given to telemarketers. And, you can call your wireless company at any time and be removed from the list. Though if people do register now on the national Do Not Call list, if the 411 numbers do ever get sold to telemarketers in the future, they will be covered.

That's my summary of the snopes link...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Unregistered-

I'm bumping this thread to the top because even though it's not about telemarketing, I wanted to let all of GC know what just happened to me right now.

I'm at work, and my phone goes off. The number's 866-448-8558. Now, I've been getting a lot of Unknown numbers and 800 numbers lately...all telemarketers, but for some reason I decided to take this call.

It was from a guy from a "law office" in Georgia, claiming that I owed money. They were persistent in trying to get my personal information (Bank info, SSN, etc. etc.) so I hung up on them. They then proceeded to call me back three times, each time leaving an obscene voicemail.

I Googled the phone number, and my trusty friend www.800notes.com showed up. Turns out, this "law office" belonged to a Gerald E. Moore and Associates, a sleazy con-man based out of Marietta. I know who I owe money to, and he's not one of them.

I know all of you know not to give out your personal information over the phone...but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up in the event you find yourselves terrorized over the phone like I was today!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I'm bumping this thread to the top because even though it's not about telemarketing, I wanted to let all of GC know what just happened to me right now.

I'm at work, and my phone goes off. The number's 866-448-8558. Now, I've been getting a lot of Unknown numbers and 800 numbers lately...all telemarketers, but for some reason I decided to take this call.

It was from a guy from a "law office" in Georgia, claiming that I owed money. They were persistent in trying to get my personal information (Bank info, SSN, etc. etc.) so I hung up on them. They then proceeded to call me back three times, each time leaving an obscene voicemail.

I Googled the phone number, and my trusty friend www.800notes.com showed up. Turns out, this "law office" belonged to a Gerald E. Moore and Associates, a sleazy con-man based out of Marietta. I know who I owe money to, and he's not one of them.

I know all of you know not to give out your personal information over the phone...but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up in the event you find yourselves terrorized over the phone like I was today!
DUDE. i am so glad you posted that 800notes site, I thought I was crazy, i mean, i know i have some debt out there, but they call CONSTANTLY, it starts sometimes at 7 am until 9 or 10 at time 7 days a week. I haven't done anything about it... until now.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^^Wow, that is ridiculous, OTW! How does that guy get away with it? Did you see this link in "granny's" comment in your link? It suggests you report him to the GA Bar and send him a cease & desist letter -- http://www.budhibbs.com/debtcollecto...associates.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

From what you guys are saying, it appears that this person (or persons) could seriously be violating the Fair Debt Collection Act.

Report to bar, report to your state attorney general (most have online forms), do some reading on the internet about the laws involving debt collection. There are very specific do's and don'ts they must follow.

Right now I'm dealing with Phillips & Cohen Associates for a client, and they are horrendous to deal with.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

now if only we could get a do not email list .

yes i know there is spam but not everything gets sent to the spam folder
Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Middle of nowhere (or right in the middle of the U.S. if you wanna look at it like that...)
Send a message via AIM to KonfidentOne Send a message via Yahoo to KonfidentOne
A bit of advice for those who recieve telemarketing calls... Don't get irate, or hang up in their face. All they will do is call back. Ask politely for them to remove you from their calling list and to send you something in writing. They can not remove you from their calling list if you do not ask them to (and don't yell "don't call here again!!!" ; that doesn't count) If they contact you again after that, you can take legal action.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I get calls from some Spanish speaking company telling me that I have won some prize. How do they know I speak Spanish, I am not sure. There are a lot of Spanish speakers where I live, but it would be pretty fruitless and inefficient of them to send this to people who know nothing about this language.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Y'all need to check out Tom Mabe and Willie P. Richardson for some great ideas to use when telemarketers call.

p a w e a since 1899