GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,350
2 members and 1,348 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Rush

-

Last edited by luckyclove; 02-27-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyclove View Post
Rush just didn't work out for me and due to bad circumstances I was cut completely. I am going to go through the whole process over and rushing for formal recruitment in the fall again. However, this time with all of the incoming freshman. I have been trying to meet all the girls and conveying my interests in several sororities, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Over the summer I will get the proper recommendation letters, but what are my chances this time around? Should I get several... maybe 5-10?? (I went through rush first time with none since I wasn't familiar with the process) Would that show my interest fairly well? Would it also help if I make a monetary donation to the chapter I really like? I know it sounds pretty bad, but I am placed in this situation and I am very desperate. Would it help if I did make a donation?????
QFP.

No, it will not help if you make a donation. Has anything changed? Did your GPA suck and now you've done better? Are you participating in any orgs now?

Also, can you give us a bit of info about your school? Not the specific school you go to, but more like "I go to a small northern school with a not-very-competetive rush" or "I go to a large southern school with a pretty competetive rush".

What were the "bad circumstances" that you talk about?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:35 PM

To answer your questions:

No. A donation doesn't make you more likely to receive a bid. There have been girls whose parents are influential alumnae and big time donors who didn't get bids. From a PNM, I think it may look like an attempt to "buy your way in."

Also, as far as recs go, I feel like 10 recs may be overkill.

Some advice about rushing a sencond time:

I'm sorry that things aren't working out.

Whether you should rush again is up to you.

My biggest advice would be to consider your school. Is it competitive? Do very many girls re-rush and have success? Do chapters favor freshmen?

Also, consider YOU. Ask yourself: "What is going to be different next time that will make sororities interested in taking a 2nd look at me?"

For example: Did you have a low GPA or something? Going through with the same grades isn't going to yield a different result. Were you shy? Going through and not improving your conversation skills isn't going to make things any different. Something has to be different the second time.

Good luck to you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you elaborate on the "bad circumstances" that caused them to cut you completely?

Are you saying that after a particular round, you had zero invites?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM

You do seem to get it, but I just want to state, if a PNM who got cut made a donation to our chapter, or ANY chapter, unless the donation was naked Clive Owen, she'd be cut so fast her head would spin. It's beyond creepy and it would make her a complete pariah on campus.