GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,125
0 members and 1,125 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Student leader at SIUE is shocked by allegations of torture with hot cookies

Student leader at SIUE is shocked by allegations of torture with hot cookies

BY MARIA BARAN AND JENNIFER HASAMEAR

News-Democrat

EDWARDSVILLE --

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/story/172367.html

A fellow student leader said Tuesday he is shocked by allegations that a Southern Illinois University Edwardsville student kidnapped and tortured a man with hot cookies.

Jordan E. Sallis, 20, who lived on campus, was the vice president of the SIUE National Pan-Hellenic Council, the governing body of the eight historically black fraternities and sororities.
Sallis and Rosario A. James, 23, of Edwardsville, both were charged Monday with two counts of aggravated kidnapping and one count of robbery and aggravated battery. They allegedly held and tortured a man, paddled him and burned him with freshly baked cookies, after a drug deal went bad. The house where the alleged crime took place is unofficially known as the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity house, university officials confirmed.
"It really just shocked me," said Richard Mann, a 22-year-old SIUE senior.
Mann, president of the SIUE National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, said he has known Sallis for three years and called him a "stand-up guy."
"I hope these are false charges, because this doesn't fit his character," Mann said.
According to Mann, Sallis was elected as vice president of council in April by fraternity members of the eight groups. He had been nominated for the position by his own fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi.
Police said three men arrived at James' house at 3840 Wanda Road to buy marijuana, but two men grabbed the drugs and fled, leaving the third behind. The suspects held the third person, who is in his late teens, against his will, and told him he needed to find $400 for the drugs, according to police.
Madison County Sheriff's Detective Sgt. Gary Burns said police had been called to the house a few times in the past for loud parties, but nothing more serious.
Four members of the fraternity are listed as the renters of the home, which is owned by Sugarloaf Landscape Nursery, Burns said.
Mann said the case, as well as that of another former fraternity leader who was arrested last summer, damages the groups' reputation.
"This hurts our school name as a whole," Mann said.
In July, 22-year-old Olutosin O. Oduwole was charged with attempting to make a threat against a university and storing a gun on campus after a note was found in the back seat of his car. Oduwole, who was serving as the president of the SIUE fraternity Iota Phi Theta at the time, has pleaded not guilty.
According to the SIUE student newspaper, The Alestle, Sallis was a member of the student senate during the 2006-2007 academic year, but was removed from office in February for missing more than two meetings.
University officials said James had been a member of the fraternity in the past, but they were unsure whether he was still a member.
Contact reporter Maria Baran at mbaran@bnd.com or 659-0985. Contact reporter Jennifer K. Hasamear at jhasamear@bnd.com or 692-1149.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry but this headline just made me spit coffee all over my computer.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

A followup article in the same regional newspaper that had the story noted in the original post mentions the amount of bail for the men who were arrested, as well as the university's action in banning them from campus:

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/story/174331.html

Last edited by exlurker; 11-09-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
I want to know who was baking the cookies??!?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess someone had the munchies...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

If this is true, it is very sad, too many reasons to mention on this board.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Psi? Who are they?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Google is your friend.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Some black fraternity...

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thats some very creative hazing
Old 12-09-2007, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FrattyVegas
Kappa Alpha Psi's should be disbanded. At every school that had them they create nothing but trouble. We had a situation here with them during intermural football when they played a fellow IFC fraternity.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it doesn't seem like it was necessary to even bring up his affiliation. The incident appears to be non-fraternity related (ex. he didn't torture a pledge/NM with the cookies), so it just sounds like sensationalism.

If he's guilty, I hope he gets punished accordingly, but they should have been able to report this without bringing up the fact that he's a Kappa.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattyVegas View Post
Kappa Alpha Psi's should be disbanded. At every school that had them they create nothing but trouble. We had a situation here with them during intermural football when they played a fellow IFC fraternity.
Yea, we all know how serious intramural football can get. Let's shut down the entire fraternity because of it.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattyVegas View Post
Don't you think thats a bit extreme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it doesn't seem like it was necessary to even bring up his affiliation. The incident appears to be non-fraternity related (ex. he didn't torture a pledge/NM with the cookies), so it just sounds like sensationalism. If he's guilty, I hope he gets punished accordingly, but they should have been able to report this without bringing up the fact that he's a Kappa.
I think one of the reasons they included his affiliation is because it happened at the frat house or the house unoffically known as the Kappa Alpha Psi frat house. Still papers are going to put affiliations in the article, no matter how relevant, it makes for a better scandal.