GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,475
2 members and 2,473 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you get a flu shot?

Every year I read about how important it is to get a flu shot. I've never gotten one (I've had the flu only once in my life, so I've never felt the need), but I re-evaluate that decision every year. Who here gets the shot? And who makes it a point not to? Any medical field people here want to chime in on why it is/isn't important?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2006, 12:48 PM

It's important if you're old or if you're young; but, if you're in between it's not so much important as it is convienient to avoid the actual flu. I never get one. I'm so rarely sick and I'm so practically OCD with the hand washing that if I were to get the flu I'd be more distraught over the "OMG, when did I mess up on the hand washing?" than over actually being sick.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't because I feel as a non-necessary worker (non police/emt/MD, etc) I don't need one. I'm 22 and about as healthy as I"m going to get. I've heard it suggested that the real priorities need to be necessary workers, followed by kids, then the average american, then the elderly. Mostly because the elderly get sick from the rest of us, and from a heartless cost-benefit analysis, society loses less if a retired person gets sick. But I figure there's no point in taking shots away from people more at risk for the flu and complications from it than I am. There always seems to be a shortage...
Old 10-19-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I get a flu shot every year, mainly becuase I have two small kids (1yr & 4yrs) and I don't want them to get sick any more than they already do! So we usually go as a "family" and all get shots (although I would rather get the FluMist stuff, but then what kind of example would that be for the 4yr old?).
Old 10-19-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, the FluMist means you're contagious (shed the virus) for about 2 weeks. Health care workers are usually prohibitted from getting it. Unless things have changed in the past few years.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm supposed to as I'm high risk (EMT with bad asthma) but I never do. I've managed to avoid the flu completely for quite some time now without the shot.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 10-19-2006, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I am high risk too (asthma). last time I got the flu shot, I got the flu twice that winter
Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 PM
cutiepatootie

I am asthamtic...that is my primary reason for getting it, plus i have a child who brings everything home from school and being a single parent it sure isn't wise to be sick as a dog with a 6 yr old.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

I get both the flu & pneumonia shots. Being both in geriatrics AND the ability to catch just about anything that comes down the pike, it only seems prudent.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRose View Post
I had a flu shot once several years ago, and got the flu from it. I've never gotten the shot again.
I had the same experience. My mother was on my case to get the shot my freshman year of college. I finally gave in, and the shot gave me the flu.

I had never had the flu before I had the shot, and I haven't had it since. Unless I think I'm going to be at high risk, I don't think I'll ever get it again.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
I got one this year. I work with kids (between the ages 3 and 6) who have behavioral health disorders, such as autism and ADHD. Those kids come down with everything during the winter and I wanted to protect myself.

Last edited by EagleChick19; 10-21-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to get one because I'm ashtamatic and because I've had pneumonia I have to get that one too.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't. I'm 21, and I've never had the flu, and so I've never really felt the "urge" to get a flu shot.

Plus everytime i have gotten the shot i've gotten sick (but not with the flu---just "flu like" symptoms).

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I always get one and so do my kids. I'm on meds that suppress my immune system and both of the kids have asthma. They've never gotten the flu in a year where they got the shot.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:07 PM

I get the flu vaccine because I have asthma. And for what its worth, although I'm going to get a million responses that I'm worng, you can't get the flu from a flu shot. It uses a dead virus. You may have been exposed before the shot or you may have gotten a nasty cold, or you may be the 1 in million people who get Guillain-Barré (a disease in which the body damages its own nerve cells, resulting in muscle weakness and sometimes paralysis).The nasal spray, yes, cause that is a live virus. But the regular ol' flu shot. No.

Sorry, its one of my pet peeves.