GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,527
1 members and 1,526 guests
navane

Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

boots to one of the rush days?

I was thinking for philanthropy night I would wear this dress

http://www.dillards.com/product/GB-G...header_juniors

with these boots. It will be October

http://www.stevemadden.com/Item.aspx...077&np=127_282

Do you think this is alright?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Boots are OK in October, but that dress looks really summery.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

From a guy's point of view: You are kidding, right?

My sister, who was reading over my shoulder said, "Pond life?" (Brit for 'bottom feeder').

Comment: Please don't. I think it could hurt your chances.

Ladies, Please back me up or tell her that as a guy I just don't get it. I think she needs guidance on what floats during rush.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
From a guy's point of view: You are kidding, right?

My sister, who was reading over my shoulder said, "Pond life?" (Brit for 'bottom feeder').

Comment: Please don't. I think it could hurt your chances.

Ladies, Please back me up or tell her that as a guy I just don't get it. I think she needs guidance on what floats during rush.
Stay in your lane. I'm willing to hazard a guess that "from a guy's point of view" doesn't mean jack shit in sorority recruitment.

To the OP, I love love love the boots, but agree with 33girl that the dress looks summery. Now, it might be appropriate in, say, Georgia, but October recruitment in the North could make it a bit chilly, and such a summery dress would be inappropriate. There are some cute updated sweater dresses with longer sleeves out there that might look good with the boots.

This is all from a northern standpoint, I'm sure some of our other posters from differing regions can give some region-specific advice in terms of what may or may not be appropriate for recruitment in that region in October.

Last edited by agzg; 08-12-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

i love the dress-i am not a fan of boots and dresses, but that is just me(and dekeguy and sister!).

october though......depends where you are. i agree with 33 and agzg that, up north, the dress should be retired until spring. down south, where it can still be as hot as blue blazes, you probably could get away with it.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Stay in your lane. I'm willing to hazard a guess that "from a guy's point of view" doesn't mean jack shit in sorority recruitment.
Thank you for your gracious comment!

I do, however, recall that I have never seen any thread titled as "A question for the boys" or "I need a guys thoughts on this" etc. that wasn't filled with many comments from the distaff side of GC. So, I wonder why I am ordered to stay in my lane when gender restrictions apparently do not apply to the ladies.

As to the value of my opinion, please note that I politely requested either agreement or disagreement to serve as useful advice to the one asking for it, not vulgarity. If one wishes to be respected as a lady one must conduct herself as such. The thought crosses my mind that the gracious content of your commentary might cause your advice be called into question as to its value in sorority recruitment.

I am more than willing to stipulate that my point of view might well have very limited value in this issue, although my sister tells me that my input was a good call. She tells me that because of the very limited time available for the chapter to get to know a prospective new member the candidate must be careful to project her persona in every respect in the most positive way.

So, as limited as the value of my comment might be, my original submission stands as posted.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
Thank you for your gracious comment!

I do, however, recall that I have never seen any thread titled as "A question for the boys" or "I need a guys thoughts on this" etc. that wasn't filled with many comments from the distaff side of GC. So, I wonder why I am ordered to stay in my lane when gender restrictions apparently do not apply to the ladies.

As to the value of my opinion, please note that I politely requested either agreement or disagreement to serve as useful advice to the one asking for it, not vulgarity. If one wishes to be respected as a lady one must conduct herself as such. The thought crosses my mind that the gracious content of your commentary might cause your advice be called into question as to its value in sorority recruitment.

I am more than willing to stipulate that my point of view might well have very limited value in this issue, although my sister tells me that my input was a good call. She tells me that because of the very limited time available for the chapter to get to know a prospective new member the candidate must be careful to project her persona in every respect in the most positive way.

So, as limited as the value of my comment might be, my original submission stands as posted.
The deal is that your "advice" is basically worthless, especially since you have to qualify it and ask for reinforcement. You also come across extremely pretentious.

As to why girls comment on guys threads without getting called out:
1. Sometimes we do get called out
2. Guys rush just isn't as systematic and complicated as girls rush, with few exceptions.
3. Many girls here have actively participated (on the Fraternity side) of rush...with even fewer exceptions.than #2, no guys have actively participated in girl's rush.

Back on topic: love the boots, love boots with dresses, agree on the dress being too summery anywhere where boots would be in season.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to a girl's opinion, although one dusty with age. I hate boots with dresses, but if you wanted to wear the combo, they need to both be appropriate for the season. I think that dress is cute cute cute, but too summery for most of the US in October.

Taking in mind my first statement (that I hate dresses with boots), I went looking on the Dillards website to see if there was anything I thought was maybe a bit more appropriate and could possibly be worn with boots, I found this http://www.dillards.com/product/B.-D...header_juniors. Don't shoot me if you think it's ugly - I was just taking a stab.

And here's a caveat for you. Using the pictures from UGA's rush that is currently going on, it looks like hemlines are mercifully dropping a bit. A lot of what I saw on the Dillards website was seriously short. Now part of that is probably that the models are Amazons, but I'd probably follow the lead of those highly stylish girls at UGA and bring it down an inch or two.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone. That is what I've had a hard time with... Rush is in the beginning of October and it is also in California. So I am not used to what people wear. It seems like they still dress summery there in October. I will ditch the boots but they will definitely be worn a lot this season.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I concur with everyone else who says the dress, while cute, might be a bit too summery for October in most places. Also, it's pretty close to white. I won't, however, call you "pond scum" for suggesting it.

I think the mixing of dresses and boots, or wearing boots in general, might be based on where you're rushing. I rushed in February in Rhode Island, so the dresses-and-boots mix was hardly the jawdropper it appears to be in some locales. Some women tend to walk very heavily in boots so, if you're a clomper, I'd stay away from them in favor of ballet slippers or some other cute flats.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I love ballet slippers :-) I'll go with that for pref night then? Any suggestions on pref dresses then? DubaiSis-thanks for the other suggestion for the dress. I do think it's cute, but I'm not sure about the colors on me. I'm quite light with light light blonde hair.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdancer View Post
I was thinking for philanthropy night I would wear this dress

http://www.dillards.com/product/GB-G...header_juniors

with these boots. It will be October

http://www.stevemadden.com/Item.aspx...077&np=127_282

Do you think this is alright?
In October that dress may be inappropriate due to weather, however even if you wore it in summer please make sure the "subtle mesh underlay" isn't a "subtle show of I see London and France" and stand in bright light to be sure.

I'm not a fan of those boots, mostly because of how they look on the model on the page, like they are too big of a diameter for her leg and pants would be better or she's playing dress up.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Try to find pictures of last year's rush at your school or one geographically similar to use as your guide. There were girls in the UGA first round wearing dresses nice enough to be worn at some schools' preference nights. Weather trumps all, so if you're going to school in San Diego, that dress may not be too far off of just right, although probably not for preference. And probably something a little darker/brighter, just to make sure you aren't committing any faux pas. When in doubt, don't wear white.

Straying off topic, Vandal, I agree with you on the diameter of the boot, but if put on an actual human girl who eats more than a cracker a day, they may not look like she's playing big girl dress up. Still, I'd rather see them worn with skinny jeans. But not to rush, of course.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Greekdancer: I just wanted to concur with the previous posters that the dress, while very cute, is probably a bit summery for October. Plus, I would personally not recommend boots with a hemline that high or a dress of that style. (Being perfectly candid: I'm not a big boot fan myself.) Also, while the belt on that particular dress looks nice, I am seeing a lot of very clunky looking belts being paired with otherwise adorable dresses this year out and about. To me it looks uncomfortable and takes away from the overall look.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Greekdancer: I just caught you said "...in California." While there can be a big difference in weather in October (Humbolt area versus sunny San Diego) I would personally stay away from the boots.