GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,856
1 members and 1,855 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM

lavienrose, considering you're not a sorority member....

you should probably delete this post ASAP. Someone may read it and not get the humor that I'm sure you intended it to be taken with.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavienrose View Post
These are rumors about certain chapters at my school.

When you go in to XYZ and the president of the chapter greets you she rates you on a scale of 1-10 behind her back and the girls on the stairs record it.
We had a chapter on campus get busted for rating during parties by flashing numbers with their hands, the PNMs saw and figured it out. Still conceivably a myth as I didn't see it happen myself, but amusing nonetheless.

I know we've used a handsign to ask a floater to come help out with a conversation, and something like that could get confused.

/tangent
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
I heard that one too - I lived in O-House, though, so presumably, we were free to hang ourselves in the showers.
LOL!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
lavienrose, considering you're not a sorority member....

you should probably delete this post ASAP. Someone may read it and not get the humor that I'm sure you intended it to be taken with.
It wasn't intended to be taken with humor these are real rumors at my school. I appreciate your advice to delete it but I think just because "I'm not a sorority member" doesn't mean I can't post things that a "sorority member" could post without conflict.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
It wasn't intended to be taken with humor these are real rumors at my school. I appreciate your advice to delete it but I think just because "I'm not a sorority member" doesn't mean I can't post things that a "sorority member" could post without conflict.
Okelly dokelly. Your choice.

Quote:

When you go in to XYZ and the president of the chapter greets you she rates you on a scale of 1-10 behind her back and the girls on the stairs record it.

and When you go in to XYZ there are two trays to put your tea cards on. If you are ugly the girl with the ugly tray steps out and asks for your tea card and if you are pretty the girl with the pretty tray steps out for your tea card.
QFP.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
They hide all the fat/ugly sisters in the kitchen at rush.

I came back at the beginning of my sophomore year with a haircut that was at best, unfortunate. I should have been more specific with the stylist. It was really, really bad. Super short with long, sweeping bangs. There was nothing I could do. And I was terrified they were going to ask me not to rush. They didn't - I just did my best, smiled and got through it.

Now, it should also be said, that hair aside, I was a terrible rusher. I just never connected well at parties.

But, if you needed someone to blow up, tie and place three hundred balloons at 6AM, I was your girl. I could write funny songs, design costumes and sweep up glitter like a champ.

Once we had a new member class, I made friends, and I loved my new sisters, but I just didn't get the rush gene.

My senior year, they put me out of my misery and asked if I'd stay behind the scenes and do paperwork between parties. I was glad to do it.

So, yes, there are people working behind the scenes for a variety of reasons. In my case, it was because I was more effective there.

PS - My hair grew out and looked much better...eventually.
I was a terrible rusher as well. I think I would have been more effective doing paperwork stuff too. Although then I would have missed the chanting and singing which I adored! (not sarcasm, I know it sounds like it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There's a scale underneath the porch and each rushee's weight is recorded as she enters.
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
There's always one chapter "suspended for hazing."

Or "about to be suspended for hazing."

There's also typically a story to go along with it that has been substantiated by the messenger's roomie's brother's cousin.
I read to fast and thought you said "super hazing". I was all "WHAT IS THAT???"
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
When I was going through recruitment, I was told that the reason the shower heads in Brumby, the all-girl dorm at UGA, are so low is because "every year a girl tried to hang herself when she got dropped by the houses she wanted." Nevermind that they were just built that way in 1966, not moved later on...

Some of these "urban legends" that some of you have mentioned can be true, though. Depends on the chapter and the campus culture. But for the most part, they're all nonsense.
Sadly, that IS the reason that there is no greek life at Georgia Wesleyan (and why both ADPi & Phi Mu have no Alpha chapter). Someone didn't get the bid she wanted and hanged herself. This one dates back to something like 1904 or so.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

and When you go in to XYZ there are two trays to put your tea cards on. If you are ugly the girl with the ugly tray steps out and asks for your tea card and if you are pretty the girl with the pretty tray steps out for your tea card.
This is 100% true.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
People are trying to help you here, but I guess you need a smack of the blunt stick to your head. You really need to stop being such an authority on recruitment and sorority matters if you want your upcoming recruitment at UK to turn out any better than your failed recruitment last year.

Quote:
No way! I have many friends in sororities that are nursing majors. Lots of sororities keep study guides, notes, and old exams. Sooo you may be lucky to find that there are other nursing majors in your sorority that can help you out.
Quote:
Just enjoy it! Recruitment did not work out for me last year but I can honestly say I don't regret a thing. You gain so many experiences and meet so many people. I met my best friend during recruitment. Whatever happens listen to your heart. Everyone kept telling me you end up where you belong, this isn't true. I knew the whole week that xyz wasn't for me but if it was where I was meant to be... I guessed I would give it a chance. This ended up being a not so smart move for me and I wish I would have trusted my instinct. If you feel a place isn't right don't just accept a bid for the sake of accepting a bid. Hold out, there is always cr at most schools or spring recruitment or if you're like me you may end up doing formal recruitment int he fall again. But don't drop just because you don't get invited back to your absolute favorite, if you think there is a chance of liking a sorority give it a chance. Good luck! I am nervous and excited too! But I promise whatever happens you will be okay!

Quote:
So I'm going through recruitment as a Sophomore. I didn't do so well in High School, a very stressful year brought my GPA down and it was hard to pick up after that. I worked my butt off freshman year of college to keep good grades and made deans list both semesters. For our recruitment applications we had to fill out both hs gpa and college. Will my high school GPA still play a role when they are considering me? (It should be noted that at my university's recruitment there are many sororities that place an enormous value on GPAs)
I know there is nothing I can do now but if anything comes up in conversation about grades or gpas should I mention why my high school gpa is so much lower than my college gpa?

*High School GPA- 3.3
*College GPA- 3.8
Super Moderator

Okay, the next time my guy looks direputable when we're going out, I'm telling him that he looks like he was hit with an ugly tray!
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Sadly, that IS the reason that there is no greek life at Georgia Wesleyan (and why both ADPi & Phi Mu have no Alpha chapter). Someone didn't get the bid she wanted and hanged herself. This one dates back to something like 1904 or so.
As a Phi Mu, I was told the same thing. Apparently the girl who didn't get the bid was the President's daughter (or something). I wish they would bring back both Alpha Chapters. That would be a dream colony come true!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

- "Members of XYZ only come out for recruitment, they don't really hang out the rest of the year"

- You can tell how much they like you by how early your invite is. As in, the first round each day is the girls they like best, the last for the ones that only just made the cut etc.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
As a Phi Mu, I was told the same thing. Apparently the girl who didn't get the bid was the President's daughter (or something). I wish they would bring back both Alpha Chapters. That would be a dream colony come true!
It used to be in our Pledge Books! When it went online, so much of the fun stuff was left out.

And YES, it would be awesome if the Macon Magnolias could both return to our Alpha chapters!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
People are trying to help you here, but I guess you need a smack of the blunt stick to your head. You really need to stop being such an authority on recruitment and sorority matters if you want your upcoming recruitment at UK to turn out any better than your failed recruitment last year.
You'd have so much more credibility if you posted with your letters and school. Or your real username.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You'd have so much more credibility if you posted with your letters and school. Or your real username.

But agreed.