GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,561
0 members and 1,561 guests
No Members online

Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi and a racial slur...again???

https://oklahoman.com/article/564184...ng-use-of-slur

Isn't this the same chapter that was in national media a few years ago because a member dressed in black face?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

This is horrid. National leadership needs to make sweeping changes in SO many areas of operation.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

This one feels particularly icky - previous incidents have been single members and snapchat or instagram posts, which you could argue as just a couple of bad eggs that have been removed. However this was two organizations using a slur as a team name in a public charity soccer tournament. Yuck
Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I just sent a fucking SCATHING letter to EO. I am sick of this fucking bullshit and the silence coming from EO. They need to get off their asses and do something - because obviously there is something in our recruiting, new member or programming that is not only encouraging this, but seeking it out.

I encourage all Alpha Phis to let EO know that you want them to take some harsh action for a change and actually do something - including an internal review of not only our programs (yes, including all their shiny new ones), but also of the people in charge of reviewing these incidents and the entire recruitment team of the organization.

The fact I hear about this on social media and not from EO saying "Hey, this awful thing happened recently and this is how we dealt with it" is gross.

Something is broken.

Last edited by Jen; 09-25-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Bbbut...”Innovation!”
Old 09-25-2019, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The article is actually unclear what role Alpha Phi played in the incident.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
The article is actually unclear what role Alpha Phi played in the incident.
The article is kind of a mess. There are 2 separate racist situations being covered. One involves students and the other involves staff.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
The article is kind of a mess. There are 2 separate racist situations being covered. One involves students and the other involves staff.
This article at least discusses only the APhi/ KSig incident. Students involved do not appear to have been disciplined just yet.

https://kfor.com/2019/09/25/ocu-soro...er-tournament/
Old 09-25-2019, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Let’s see if I read this correctly- it was a soccer team comprised of a group of Kappa Sigs and 1 Alpha Phi.
That name is sooooooo clearly, plainly, disgusting racist. I still struggle with condemning the entire chapters for the acts of a few (booting individuals, hell yes).
That said, Jen, I would love to read the scathing letter to EO, as silence is not the appropriate response here and my heart breaks for what you and your sisters have been dealing with with your EO.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Banned

The article also mentions the event was an Alpha Phi sponsored charity event and it was other students at the event that called for the student conduct investigations. The exact process for naming a team in this event is unclear in the article but the Student Government seems confident that they did the right thing in suspending both organizations and even goes as far as saying the student vote is enough to call for the closure of both chapters if they decline to suspend operations. I don’t know how valid that claim is but they do seem to believe it goes beyond just the single member on the team in question.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I basically said I'd like to see a zero tolerance policy, charters yanked, members kicked out etc when this shit happens. Also, that they need to get off their asses and DO something.

I said I don't feel comfortable donating money to the sorority any longer, because I have no idea what I'm supporting. Am I giving a scholarship to a white supremacist? Backing a program that's turning out racists like an assembly line?

I want EO to stop being wishy washy with lame apologies at best and at worst, silence which is complicity. I want them to stand up and DO something. You know ... show some character, which is supposed to be part of the new values programming.

I wrote over 20 recs this year. Three of those recs (so far) have gone Alpha Phi and two of those PNMs are women of colour.

I am terrified of what kind of organization I just recommended them into.

I am so, so angry.

Last edited by Jen; 09-25-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: these giant old spaces that keep showing up in my damn posts WTF
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I basically said I'd like to see a zero tolerance policy, charters yanked, members kicked out etc when this shit happens. Also, that they need to get off their asses and DO something.

I said I don't feel comfortable donating money to the sorority any longer, because I have no idea what I'm supporting. Am I giving a scholarship to a white supremacist? Backing a program that's turning out racists like an assembly line?

I want EO to stop being wishy washy with lame apologies at best and at worst, silence which is complicity. I want them to stand up and DO something. You know ... show some character, which is supposed to be part of the new values programming.

I wrote over 20 recs this year. Three of those recs (so far) have gone Alpha Phi and two of those PNMs are women of colour.

I am so, so angry.
It was one Alpha Phi and they picked an inappropriate name for a team. I am not sure why your post is so dramatic? I don't think this very poor judgement call by one individual is akin to white supremacy and nationals supporting one. I honestly think you should have more respect for your national officers and not trash them like this on social media. Sending them an email, calling them personally, volunteering to be on a committee on the national level are all better options than talking like this about your organization on a public forum.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Did I tell y’all that I love my little? She rocks.
I was on the way to the airport when I heard about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

I am so, so angry.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Or maybe she was thinking of Alpha Phi January 2019 at Old Dominion University? OCU...ODU?

Link: https://www.wavy.com/news/old-domini...t-allegations/

True and Constant
Old 09-25-2019, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha1872 View Post
Isn't this the same chapter that was in national media a few years ago because a member dressed in black face?
I think you might be remembering a black face incident by a University of Oklahoma DDD member back in January.

Blackface at University Oklahoma