GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,440
1 members and 1,439 guests
indygphib

Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Antique / Unique GLO Treasures

If you have come across any fantastic finds, whether antique or just plain cool, post them here so we can all "ooh" and "ahh" in their glory. Could be from your organization or another GLO- think jewelry, badges, books, framable items, or other memorabilia. Pictures please!

Note: This is a spin-off of the Badge Trends thread.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

AGD Cookbook - 1934

Here is an Alpha Gamma Delta cookbook I found in an antique shop this weekend. I initially picked it up due to the cover (not knowing it was published by AGD), expecting to find funny anectdotes that you may expect from a 1934 "The College Woman's Cook Book". Some of the pages in the back of the cookbook are damaged, but otherwise it's in good condition.

The cover and title page. I'm curious- is the lantern a symbol of AGD that isn't ringing a bell for some reason? It makes for a beautiful cover.

A story of AGD's summer camps (where I'm guessing the proceeds were donated?) and the index:

The first page of recipes:
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a library of college and fraternity materials. The oldest is the October 1829 Brunonian of Brown University. This 180 year old publication is issue #4 of a literary magazine that ultimately became the Brown University yearbook. The second oldest is the 1833 Catalogue of Officers & Students of Williams College in which all of the founders of Delta Upsilon are listed. It is on loan to the D U national headquarters. Another very prized possession is the First Edition of Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities, published in 1879. I now have in excess one hundred items more than one hundred years old and am actively seeking more. I do not have any sorority materials that old, mainly because most sororities are much younger and did not publish much early. However, I do have an 1889 yearbook from Wellesley College.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I have Alpha Xi Delta pledge manuals from 1932 and 1950. Both include sample pledge tests and sample pledge class lessons.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Very neat and interesting cookbook. I found this book online the other night. Does anyone know if this is the first book by Baird? Just curious.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8f4...age&q=&f=false
Old 11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Moved this post from Badge Trends to here.

This seller has a bunch of engravings for sale. I am pretty sure he is the same one I bought an AOII engravings from a couple of years ago.

On Ebay right now:

Item # 250535481783

Here is my AOII one from a couple of years ago.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Very neat and interesting cookbook. I found this book online the other night. Does anyone know if this is the first book by Baird? Just curious.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8f4...age&q=&f=false
No, this is the fifth edition in 1898. It says so on the title page and on page v it describes each of the editions. (But still quite fun to read) I'd love to see the contents of the first edition in 1879.

A mapping of the year to edition can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baird%2...e_Fraternities

Looks like the ones that google has up are
Fifth- 1898 http://books.google.com/books?id=8f4BAAAAYAAJ
Seventh - 1912 http://books.google.com/books?id=_f4SAAAAIAAJ
Ninth - 1920 http://books.google.com/books?id=2iErAAAAYAAJ

Last edited by naraht; 11-24-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Adding which ones google has.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:

This seller has a bunch of engravings for sale. I am pretty sure he is the same one I bought an AOII engravings from a couple of years ago.

On Ebay right now:

Item # 250535481783

I love these - I bought a DTD one for my husband and I've been considering buying one for ZTA as well but went for the official banner instead (still might get the other one though). It's so neat to see these old renderings.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I found this 1952 Sigma Kappa badge online, and think it's absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately, it's already been sold.

Sigma Kappa - 1952
Length: 9/16" Width: 5/8" Mass: 2.7grams
Here is a Sigma Kappa pin surrounded by an embellished border of gold and 1 seed pearl in each point. This Sigma Kappa pin has a great maroon enamelling. Actual pin is in mint condition; scanner photo shows slight discoloration which is guaranteed to not be on the actual pin. The back of the pin is engraved with "M. E. S. 1952 Gamma Gamma." The Gamma Gamma chapter was founded at Indiana State University (Terre Haute) in 1951. This near founding member pin has an older knuckle clasp with the bunny earred spinner (in working order) and helps to confirm dating of pin.

$old

@~/~~~~
Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an old mesh purse I bought off eBay with the ATO crest (my husband is an ATO). I also have an old Kappa songbook, a few old Kappa cookbooks and two different charm bracelets. My favorite, though, is an old Kappa COA ring. It's been loved so much, the COA is worn down.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
A story of AGD's summer camps (where I'm guessing the proceeds were donated?) and the index:

That's really interesting, I'mm feeling closer to my Syracuse Triad sisters! I didn't know Alpha Gamma Delta had summer camps. Gamma Phi Beta had several camps over the years, the last one was Camp Sechelt in British Columbia. Are there other NPC groups that had summer camps?

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

On Ebay right now:

Item # 250535481783

The AOII engraving is gorgeous, OleMissGlitter - well done!

Another ADPi history lesson: for a very brief time, the dragon was our mascot. Our Washington State University has the crest with the dragon on its fireplace (posted by CougADPi):

Fireplace (Upsilon of Alpha Delta Pi is engraved in it, and the charter is actually for Alpha Delta Phi with a dragon instead of a lion...I love our chapter's history)

Living Room

Now, off to ebay!

PS: Bless you for including the item number!

Last edited by honeychile; 11-24-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, this thread is just made for me! I'm a big fan of history in general, and I love collecting historical stuff. So I've got a few things to share.

This first pic is vintage issues of The Crescent. The far left two are from 1914, the next four are from 1934 & 1935, the next three from 47, 48 & 49, and the last is from 1951.

This next pic is the various histories of Gamma Phi that have been published over the years. From left to right: 1921, 1965, 1985 and 2002.

This pic is two of the editions of the song book, from 1936 and 1964.

Two Pledge Manuals from the 30s.

These aren't technically Gamma Phi items, but they are plays written by Lindsey Barbee, who was Editor of The Crescent from 1910-1938 and Grand President from 1919-1924. She also wrote the first history book of Gamma Phi, the one from 1921 pictured above.

Will put the rest in the next post...
Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This Panhellenic Guide Book is filled with all the dos and don'ts of rush, along with the schedule and info on each sorority.

From the inside of the Guide Book:

1914 Postcard from Syracuse University. Clockwise from the top left are houses for Gamma Phi Beta, Phi Delta Theta, Psi Upsilon and Delta Kappa Epsilon. (The post card was written from a member of Phi Delta Theta to his Aunt.)

Playing cards from the 30s that were sold to members as fundraisers for individual chapters, along with an ad in the May, 1931 issue of The Crescent.

This picture is of two dance cards from 1945 and 1946, and a wallet purchased between 1944 and 1948. Below are pics from the inside of the second dance card.

And that's it. Well, that's the good stuff that's not specific to our local alumnae chapter.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE IT! Wish all my song books weren't in storage . . .