GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,282
3 members and 2,279 guests
Cookiez17, Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
In using the word "absolutely" I was referring only to the chapter side of things - not considering the PNM side. Taken in context, we were discussing Kappa Delta, a chapter. Carry on...
Cool. I didn't mean to seem so nitpicky.

And from that perspective, you're completely right. It was harder on KD because they had to make more cuts earlier and didn't even get to pref the same number of women as other chapters. The number of women they got in regular bid matching likely reflects a higher percentage of matches within the first 100 girls on the list than most of the other chapters. Other chapters got to keep going down their lists. KD's probably stopped much sooner because they were limited by release figures.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-22-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=irishpipes;1506344 And I don't believe I said anything which implied that I didn't think the chapters were fabulous.[/quote]
I was not disagreeing with you and did not think that you were you were implying that any group was “unfabulous!”

All I was trying to say is one or two chapters, and not necessarily those one might expect, probably will miss quota under the new RFM and so what?

I know we can all agree that in a sorority it is the love for each other and your organization that truly matters. There are a lot of factors that make a great chapter, but we alums only really ever hear about recruitment results and naturally, make judgments based on recruitment numbers alone.
We can all agree that all that these chapters had a great recruitment, right? It did seem to me that some earlier posts implied that some horror had occurred … a popular chapter missed quota …which I just don’t think is that big of a deal, even at Alabama, especially in light of the way the new RFM works…in any given year, it could happen to any chapter. To me, that story about a sorority wearing t-shirts to poke fun of a another group is ghastly. Talk about conduct unbecoming of a sorority woman!

I think we can all agree that the core principle behind the new RFM…is not just to help smaller chapters. The intent is to strengthen the entire sorority system nationally and internationally and deflate some of the criticism from outsiders that the whole recruitment process is strictly superficial… the goal is that nearly all chapters on every campus should be pledging quota or very near to it in formal recruitment…and nearly every PNM that wants to have a sorority membership experience and who sticks it out to the end of recruitment, playing fair, should have the opportunity to get a bid somewhere. If she chooses not to take it and drops out, that’s her choice.

Sure there will be some minor kinks as a new system gets underway, as DukeDG pointed out… but in the big picture this is so much better for all parties involved. Case in point, in the last 15 years, 5 very respectable NPC chapters have left a large university campus not too far from me. Those chapters probably did fall victim to the old system, which allowed the largest chapters to just keep getting bigger and bigger until the disparity in chapter size was probably too much to bridge no matter how hard they worked or how much the other groups wanted to support them in the sense of “Panhellenic spirit.” Every year flaws in the way the recruitment system worked continued to suck them out Losing those chapters has hurt the whole system and it makes me sad. I hope they all get the chance to come back and thrive.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that KD probably got used to having PNMs want them. If you don't have to work hard to make people want you, you probably won't work hard enough. It is only a matter of time before the people you want don't want you in return. As for the release figures, if everyone is releasing women in large chunks, many of the same "top" chapters are probably keeping the same women. If three sororities are competing for the same 200 "top" PNMs, missing quota can happen easily. In the past, you'd just fill in with the "extras" that you strung along for the week, and no one would know the difference. Hopefully, KD will take a look at what happened and make changes where they are needed. I'm sure they'll bounce back. What hurts one chapter has the potential to hurt us all, so i never revel in someone else's failures (not that you can call bidding 50 some odd women a failure!) I think the best thing they can do is be humble but not embarrassed. Bad years happen.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

For Zillini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
*sigh* Yeah, it must be all our fault.

Same sorority , same situation only many years ago when I was in FRC for my chapter and I received a phone call from my district advisor at 4a.m. wanting to know why we released a legacy. Apparantly the legacy's mother called the district advisor at 3:30 in the morning when her daughter was released from rush so I too was blessed with a phone call.

My heart goes out to you since I am a part of the village I too am to blame !
Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Zillini,

That legacy situation is beyond ridiculous, but I think that there are any number of goofy folks out there who think that the actives should just know stuff that, unless they sat around memorizing old composites, they'd have no way of knowing. I'm sorry it happened to you and to you too Violet14

Let's kick 'em out of the village since they act like they were raised by wolves anyway.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejazd View Post
We can all agree that all that these chapters had a great recruitment, right? It did seem to me that some earlier posts implied that some horror had occurred … a popular chapter missed quota …which I just don’t think is that big of a deal, even at Alabama, especially in light of the way the new RFM works…in any given year, it could happen to any chapter. To me, that story about a sorority wearing t-shirts to poke fun of a another group is ghastly. Talk about conduct unbecoming of a sorority woman!
Holy Jebus, that is soooo not cool...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there any ZTA pictures out there you might want to share??
Old 08-22-2007, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaggie View Post
I know earlier people were asking about pictures! here is DZ's new pledge class they are so cute! there is 80 of them!
Goody! Goody! Thank you! Forwarding to my darlin' DZ daughter, an alum of your chapter.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabelle99 View Post
That said, if KD wanted to meet quota, they would've. They are very selective, they have the right to be...and like a previous poster said - they know years in advance who is going to be in the house.
Jeepers! This almost makes it sound like recs are a waste for rushees who have not already been identified as future Bama KD members??
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
Jeepers! This almost makes it sound like recs are a waste for rushees who have not already been identified as future Bama KD members??
I have no idea if what was claimed about Bama KD was true on any level, but I think even the strongest groups who know who they want end up taking some great girls they met in recruitment, even when they get a high percentage of the girls they wanted from before recruitment.

My guess is that it's no more a waste to write KD Bama recs that it is to write them for the girls for who drop out. You just can't know in advance which ones are worthwhile.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

thank you for posting the photo of the new delta zeta pledges. they are adorable.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to the new DZ New Members! So cute!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

DZ Did Well

Glad to see DZ secured another group of wonderful young ladies. Congratulations, DZ!
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas rush still at ease now that my daughter has found a greek home in Alabama.

Quick update of TT returns were 95% after first period and almost 92% for today - Panhellenic called at 2:30 this morning and told us we are having to add another party today - there are 5 and now we are having 6 - because we have so many people coming back. GREAT PROBLEM!!!!

Last edited by Tex-A-Bama; 08-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

ADPi

I stole these ADPi pictures from my friend

honey, just cause i talk slow doesn't mean that i'm stupid

Last edited by notmanhattan; 08-23-2007 at 06:00 PM.