GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,304
4 members and 1,300 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 01-17-2021, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 -- Moderna -- Yesterday morning, I posted that I couldn't move my arm, struggled to take a shower, and cried again. I took the ibuprofen 600mg and lied down on my bed with my arm propped on a fluffy pillow. That did the trick - I fell asleep for a 3 hour nap. When I woke up this morning, my arm pain was reduced. Probably 3 or 4 out of 10 - I took a 600mg ibuprofen after waking up. So far today, it appears that my arm pain has finally gone! I am so relieved! There is a slight soreness in the injection site; but, nothing too remarkable.

I do not regret it. I will still go back for the second dose and take it like a champ.

I post my experience so that others can have realistic expectations. I saw a lot of people posting pictures on Facebook, proudly holding up their vaccination cards with big smiles on their faces. Some people are saying, "Oh, it's just a little soreness and a little headache, no big deal." I believe I read on the official materials that 16% of people will have side effects strong enough to prevent them from going about their daily activities. Apparently, I am one of the 16% and a good number of my immediate coworkers were too. It was painful and I would categorize the pain as "severe".

My coworker said that he had a sore arm only; but, his wife was in so much pain that she was on the floor, crying. Our other coworker (same fire station) and her husband were behind me in line for the vaccination. She and her husband were previously positive for covid. She had debilitating arm pain like I did and he told me that he had fever and body aches so bad that he ended up on the floor as well. One supervisor reported debilitating arm pain. Bummer. My best friend got the Moderna vaccine at her workplace (hospital group) and she had just a basic sore arm.

Again, I do not regret it and I am definitely doing the second shot. Just be prepared with ibuprofen or Tylenol and get your vaccine at a time when you're not planning to move houses or go on a road trip.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 01-17-2021 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-17-2021, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a nurse. I am a very healthy 60 years young. I got my first dose before Christmas and my second dose 9 days ago. My arm was sore after the first one for 2 days (similar to a tetanus shot) and moderately more sore after the second one (couldn't sleep on it that side for one night.) Ibuprofen helped. No redness or swelling.

I had a low grade fever and felt like I had the flu for about 3 hours the day after the second shot. Flu like symptoms had resolved by the time I went to bed that night. Side effects after the series of 2 shingles shots that I got 2 years ago were much worse. (My arm was sore for well over a week and felt really lousy for over a day) Husband is a doc, also vaccinated, had similar sore arm but he had no systemic effects.

I will say that we both got Pfizer vaccine. ANECDOTALLY I have heard of more side effects from the Moderna vaccine. Also, interestingly, younger nurses seem to have had more reactions/side effects than those of us that are more. . . seasoned. LOL. I absolutely would take it again in a minute (either of them). I have my 90 year old mother on a list with her primary care doctor. I am politically conservative and have no medical reservations about it.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Man, you don't want a doctor to do your shots. Any of them. My father was a doctor and his always HURT.

His nurse said it was because he hardly ever gave any.
She speaks the truth. Both hubby and daughter are doctors. They never give shots. Let the nurse do it!

navane, sorry you had such a rough time of it.

Last edited by wildcatfan; 01-17-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you all for being candid about your experiences. I hope that those of you who have suffered intense side effects soon find relief. And I hope those of us who are waiting can avoid COVID until we can get the vaccine.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Day 4 -- Moderna -- Yesterday morning, I posted that I couldn't move my arm, struggled to take a shower, and cried again. I took the ibuprofen 600mg and lied down on my bed with my arm propped on a fluffy pillow. That did the trick - I fell asleep for a 3 hour nap. When I woke up this morning, my arm pain was reduced. Probably 3 or 4 out of 10 - I took a 600mg ibuprofen after waking up. So far today, it appears that my arm pain has finally gone! I am so relieved! There is a slight soreness in the injection site; but, nothing too remarkable.

I do not regret it. I will still go back for the second dose and take it like a champ.

I post my experience so that others can have realistic expectations. I saw a lot of people posting pictures on Facebook, proudly holding up their vaccination cards with big smiles on their faces. Some people are saying, "Oh, it's just a little soreness and a little headache, no big deal." I believe I read on the official materials that 16% of people will have side effects strong enough to prevent them from going about their daily activities. Apparently, I am one of the 16% and a good number of my immediate coworkers were too. It was painful and I would categorize the pain as "severe".

My coworker said that he had a sore arm only; but, his wife was in so much pain that she was on the floor, crying. Our other coworker (same fire station) and her husband were behind me in line for the vaccination. She and her husband were previously positive for covid. She had debilitating arm pain like I did and he told me that he had fever and body aches so bad that he ended up on the floor as well. One supervisor reported debilitating arm pain. Bummer. My best friend got the Moderna vaccine at her workplace (hospital group) and she had just a basic sore arm.

Again, I do not regret it and I am definitely doing the second shot. Just be prepared with ibuprofen or Tylenol and get your vaccine at a time when you're not planning to move houses or go on a road trip.
How are you feeling today? We all hope you are feeling better today.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Question for our nurses? My shot was given high up on my arm, near the top of my shoulder, definitely higher than my small pox arm scar. Is this too high to receive the vaccine? I’ve never had a shot given this high up. In fact. I had to take my shirt off in a crowded room and sit topless. Not a good feeling. Lol

Wondering if this was too high of a injection site, which caused my pain and should of been lower on my arm
Old 01-18-2021, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
How are you feeling today? We all hope you are feeling better today.

Aww, thank you very kindly for asking. I had minor soreness last night and this morning. Nothing the ibuprofen couldn't solve. Thankfully, this looks to be the end of it. I am grateful to be moving my arm again.

True and Constant
Old 01-18-2021, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Got my first Pfizer shot today about 3:30. Took 2 tylenol when I got home about 20 minutes later and all is well at this point. Arm not sore, feel fine. I am tired but I could tell I was stressing some all day so chalk it up to that.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Our dentist, who's my age, just got his second shot last week and he wants everyone to know that you probably don't want to get the second shot in the same arm as the first shot.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Got my first Pfizer shot today about 3:30. Took 2 tylenol when I got home about 20 minutes later and all is well at this point. Arm not sore, feel fine. I am tired but I could tell I was stressing some all day so chalk it up to that.
A couple of health care providers recommended to take Tylenol right after you get the shot in order to keep any potential fever from raising.

I still don't know when I will get my vaccine. My guess is March or April.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

My husband got his first Pfizer injection yesterday.He reported slight soreness at the injection site and a slight headache (he never gets headaches). Same this morning.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

arm is a little sore this more - about like a flu shot. No other issues
Old 01-19-2021, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Our dentist, who's my age, just got his second shot last week and he wants everyone to know that you probably don't want to get the second shot in the same arm as the first shot.
That’s good to know. I will receive my second dose on 2/11 and I will definitely receive the vaccine in my other arm.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
A couple of health care providers recommended to take Tylenol right after you get the shot in order to keep any potential fever from raising.

I still don't know when I will get my vaccine. My guess is March or April.
Is Tylenol THE definite choice recommended in these cases by medical professionals, or is regular aspirin okay?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Is Tylenol THE definite choice recommended in these cases by medical professionals, or is regular aspirin okay?
The CDC brochure only seems to reference acetaminophen and ibuprofen. I read that we should NOT take any before the jab; but, instead wait until the immune response occurs, THEN you can take it. Normally, I take aspirin for most everything; but, decided to do Tylenol (acetaminophen) instead. The Tylenol didn't do much for my pain. I switched to ibuprofen (which doesn't usually work too well for me) and it worked pretty good. So, maybe you have to go with the one that your body will respond to.

CDC guideline: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l_12.13.20.pdf

True and Constant