GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,625
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, ArianneW45
» Online Users: 1,544
1 members and 1,543 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Greek Sexual Assault Programs

I'm looking to learn about different sexual assault programs that different universities provide for Greeks on your campus. I have some information from doing a Google search, but I thought I may have better luck here.

Thank you for any information that you have in advance.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Research...

You need to go to Student Affairs of the universities. The schools have a "liable" issue with greek life. Since students choose to live in a house owned by large entities, then is the school still liable? Some instances, yes, some no. Depends on the universities and greek office relationship.

But student violence prevention is a Universal concept. There are rules of conduct while on campus and maybe 5-10 mile radius outside. Then the greek houses have enforcement of their own.

What I would do is start with your school, then see what their policies are, then expand it to other schools and observe the similarities and differences.

You are probably having a tough time because there is no comprehensive comparison. These topics get decided by lawyers for the school and maybe by the national greek organization.

Let me know how far you get. Because it would be interesting to see. Good luck!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand what you are saying AKA, about the variety of policies that are out there. I guess what I am looking for from GC members is a list of what programs they experienced while in school.

Was there something directed towards the Greek Community, like "Safe Sister'? Were they required to attend a general sexual assault program?

I'm more or less trying to stay away from contacting each Greek Advisor on every campus to find out if they have a similar program.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was Intersorority Council President, I hosted a sexual assault workshop for all of Greek Life. I worked with the local women's clinic. They helped me put together a great presentation and supplied the guest speaker. These clinics are often eager to help get their message out, so I would start there. I would also investigate your social work department to see if any students are doing projects on the subject. It would look good on their resume to do a presentation.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrphi View Post
I understand what you are saying AKA, about the variety of policies that are out there. I guess what I am looking for from GC members is a list of what programs they experienced while in school.

Was there something directed towards the Greek Community, like "Safe Sister'? Were they required to attend a general sexual assault program?

I'm more or less trying to stay away from contacting each Greek Advisor on every campus to find out if they have a similar program.
There are very limited mandatory programs on most college campi for only greeks.

There are programs that one can call geared toward organizations in general.

What kind of program are you looking for? What I am unclear on is are you searching FOR a program, or do you have a program in mind to bring forth to your greek community?

No, do not have to contact a greek advisor, it should be listed on the website. You can see if they have a program or not. They will probably tell you the school has one that any group can call upon and have a presentation made to them.

But a comprehensive program geared toward the greek community at every school, write it up and send it to me. I can review it and submit it formally to your school admin to ask questions if it has not already been done...

ETA: Safe sister is a program ONLY at Georgia Tech's Women's Center. I KNOW University of Washington and San Diego State University do not have DISTINCT programs for sororities...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 12-06-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Interesting note.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.rad-systems.com/

Here ya go. This is what we used.