GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,350
1 members and 1,349 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-30-2019, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Swarthmore

Can’t figure out how to link the news article in today’s Washington Post titled “CLOSE THE RAPE ATTIC” ( caps theirs). Don’t know how this iPad works and will be very happy to get my MacBook back.

Anyway perhaps someone can link it.

Holy COW is all I got right now.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy cow is right. Yikes.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

"The 116 pages of documents reportedly came from the “historical archives” of Swarthmore’s chapter of Phi Kappa Psi, which is not nationally affiliated, and contains meeting minutes and details of pledge tasks." So....they are not affiliated with Phi Kappa Psi? Phi Kappa Psi says that there hasn't been a chapter at Swathmore for 50 years: https://www.phikappapsi.com/2019/04/...ege-statement/

On their FB page, they clearly call themselves "Phi Psi", use the Phi Kappa Psi colors, and claim to have been there since 1888. It's not clear if they are still going by the full "Phi Kappa Psi" name on campus. If so, methinks these GLOs need to start threatening legal action against local organizations which are using their name in deceptively similar practices. Because all of the articles make it sound as if this is a chapter of Phi Kappa Psi national fraternity.

Next, what's the deal with 100 students rushing into the house and staging a sit-in? Isn't that trespassing? Even if the house is leased from the university, no one is allowed to perform a home invasion because they feel it's justified. Why aren't the police removing these people from the premises?

Finally, and most importantly, if these members were promoting sexual assault, then they need to go. There's no place for that in today's society. However, right now, it's not clear that this was a practice of the current members. If I understand correctly, it sounds like the documents were at least 3 years old. Though, I'm skeptical that no one knew about the "tradition".

True and Constant
Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Bezos won’t let me read his rag for free and the Phi Psi site gives me a 404, so can someone summarize?

All I think of when I see this school name is “when Cass was a sophomore, planned to go to Swarthmore.”

ETA Zippy Zamboni thread

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=70636
Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are some free articles about Swathmore Phi Psi:

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...-fraternities/

https://www.insider.com/swarthmore-f...minutes-2019-4

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/fr...ge-rape-attic/
Old 05-01-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

All I think of when I see this school name is “when Cass was a sophomore, planned to go to Swarthmore.”

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=70636
Same here.

"But she changed her mind one day.."

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the ear worm. NOT. Never liked them or their music. Still don’t.

If you’ve used up your five free articles a month, 33, there are other options for reading the WaPo online. Try the suggested ideas here, for starters.

http://http://money.com/money/467185...shington-post/

Read the comments section under the article. Very anti-Greek, and that’s concerning. We all get tarred and feathered. I expressed my opinion about having a chapter at that campus a long time ago, and my opinion hasn’t changed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Both Phi Kappa Psi (unaffiliated with the national fraternity) and DU announce they will close.

Swarthmore Fraternities to Close
Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I don't understand why the police would allow a sit-in on private property. The professors who participated should at the very least be reprimanded. It appears both of these chapters were rando locals whose nationals cut ties with a number of years ago. Those national organizations need to do a better job of policing their brand. The minute a national headline read "Phi Kappa Psi at Swarthmore did something terrible," cease and desist letters should have been in the mail.

And maybe they were.

And maybe that's why these groups are disbanding.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If you read the actual documents they are primarily from 2013. Basically a sophomoric vulgar embellished summary of the weeks events. At a school this size if half was true it would have been all over campus. The current members where basically bullied by the protesters for things done years before they enrolled. They got what they wanted.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It appears both of these chapters were rando locals whose nationals cut ties with a number of years ago. Those national organizations need to do a better job of policing their brand. The minute a national headline read "Phi Kappa Psi at Swarthmore did something terrible," cease and desist letters should have been in the mail.

And maybe they were.

And maybe that's why these groups are disbanding.
Where did you get that the DU chapter was not affiliated with the national organization? As far as I have read, the DU chapter WAS currently affiliated with the national organization. DU still lists their chapter at Swarthmore on their web site.

Let me know if I missed something....
Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
If you read the actual documents they are primarily from 2013. Basically a sophomoric vulgar embellished summary of the weeks events. At a school this size if half was true it would have been all over campus. The current members where basically bullied by the protesters for things done years before they enrolled. They got what they wanted.

I did, because I read voraciously. I also scroll through comments on articles for a quick snapshot of what people who respond are saying. Bottom line is not exactly the one you drew. Not a great idea to minimize this if you have a grasp of the much bigger picture. I’m not on site and don’t know what is the impetus for this action at this time.

FWIW the Phi Psi fraternity was a local. That is clearly stated in the linked Rolling Stone article as well as in navane’s post. Seems like discussing this point is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. In addition, there is likely much more to the story. 2013 docs surface six years later and protests now? Hello???

Onward.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:54 AM

I pulled up the thread about Theta coming to Swarthmore and one of the linked articles said there was a referendum to abolish Greek life in 2013 but it failed. Wouldn’t you think they would have brought all this up then? I mean, we did have the Internet and social media then.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
The sad part is that even alumni members are coming out and saying that they knew this is how it was, and they should've done something but didn't.

https://swarthmorephoenix.com/2019/05/02/2013-du-minutes-past-members-provide-window-into-culture-of-frat/
Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Swarthmore ends Greek life: https://www.philly.com/news/swarthmo...-20190510.html.