GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,436
1 members and 1,435 guests
naraht

Old 05-13-2021, 12:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Think it can't happen at your school? THINK AGAIN!

Today, it was announced that Bloomsburg University has terminated their fraternity and sorority programs effective immediately. The University has cut ties with all national and local fraternities and sororities.

Back at the beginning of the spring term, the University put out a statement stating that due to the plethora of risk management issues, students injured and deaths and hazing, that they were giving Greek Life organizations one last opportunity to get their stuff together. They stated that if any fraternity or sorority broke rules (Hazing, risk management, etc,) and were found responsible, the entire Greek System would be shut down.

Well, this past weekend, a member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority passed away after falling down steps at a suspended fraternity's party, and today it was announced Greek Life is over at Bloomsburg.

So there you go...it can happen.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:45 PM

Wow. Just, wow.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy cow. Won't this just send orgs underground and make it even worst?

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 05-13-2021, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks like the Greek Life page on the university's website has already been removed...

@~/~~~~
Old 05-13-2021, 01:42 PM

It was removed today, right before they sent an email out to the entire student body stating they were shutting it down.

Because Bloomsburg already had a thriving underground Greek Life community due to 8 groups being suspended in the last two years, this will likely drive the rest of them there now.

I truly hope that NPC will help this sorority community to continue, because the sororities at Bloomsburg were thriving and doing things the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
It looks like the Greek Life page on the university's website has already been removed...
Old 05-13-2021, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Good grief.
Well...here we go. Now other colleges and universities have a lodestar to follow: “Because we have determined our current Greek system to be in crisis, we are following the lead of Bloomsburg University and immediately disbanding....”

Ladies, in this case, “It just takes one...” now has a whole NEW meaning.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
I truly hope that NPC will help this sorority community to continue, because the sororities at Bloomsburg were thriving and doing things the right way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post

Well, this past weekend, a member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority passed away after falling down steps at a suspended fraternity's party, and today it was announced Greek Life is over at Bloomsburg.
Don't most NPC sororities ask their members to 'do things the right way' by AVOIDING parties at suspended Fraternities homes?
Old 05-13-2021, 04:55 PM

Nobody knows why the young lady was at the party, and frankly, it's not my concern. What happened to her could've happened to any person at the party. It just so happened she was a member of Phi Sigma Sigma. The Greek system was shut down because a person died at Pi Lambda Phi's fraternity party, period. Whether she was in an NPC sorority or not is not the issue.

The SORORITY should avoid having a party with an suspended fraternity. THAT was not what THIS was. Maybe her boyfriend or brother or whatever was a member of Pi Lam. I don't know, and it doesn't matter.

This whole situation is bad on so many levels. If your university has even talked about a scenario like this, well now the precedent is set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Don't most NPC sororities ask their members to 'do things the right way' by AVOIDING parties at suspended Fraternities homes?
Old 05-13-2021, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if this applies to ALL Greek organizations or just NPC/ NIC/ IFC? There are quite a few NPHC and other organizations at this school that I am not familiar with.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 PM

It means ALL local and national NPC, NIC, NPHC, MGC social organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I wonder if this applies to ALL Greek organizations or just NPC/ NIC/ IFC? There are quite a few NPHC and other organizations at this school that I am not familiar with.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 PM

I know I sound dumb here but what would keep the sororities from functioning like they do at say Santa Clara University in California? They are not recognized by the university but are still allowed to exist and function. Can someone explain that to me?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

School says ban is not related to recent student death: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp
Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 PM

Kutztown did this in the 80s and it didn’t stick.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the school, there are no houses on campus, housing is not at a premium (ie people do not join GLOs as a means to a housing end) and half of the groups are local and have been around longer than the nationals (ie “we won’t be national anymore!!” is not an innately terrifying thought).

This is probably the dumbest decision the school could have made. There are probably a good amount of people in the system who are glad the school is “out of their hair.”

APhi4Ever - there is nothing that would keep the nationals from doing that, but it depends whether what they are getting from the chapters in terms of membership #s and $$ is worth it.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:22 AM

And because this is covid and my time sense is shot -

How does doing this before school is out for the year help anything? No one is going to be there, and more than likely everyone has leases signed already - that is, a local landlord is not going to kick a group of paying customers out because they aren’t “recognized.” More than likely one of two things will happen over the summer; the national groups will work with the college to reattain recognition, or everyone’s charters will get pulled and the college will have a fully underground system that neither they nor the HQs can control.

Dumb, dumber, dumbest!!
Old 05-14-2021, 01:36 PM

This story came out much later in the day yesterday, almost as if they were backpedaling off of the death of a student story, which they were using as their justification. After speaking to some other folks, it appears that ALL GREEKS are gone, including groups like APO or Phi Sigma Pi. I don't know which of those actually still exist there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
School says ban is not related to recent student death: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp