GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,343
0 members and 1,343 guests
No Members online

Old 10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Sprinkler Saves Lives -- Arson Fire at Michigan State Theta Chi

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/a...._fire_marshal

Excerpt from much more detailed story on Michigan State student paper's site ^^:

The fire was contained to one room after an automatic sprinkler system at the house turned on. Without the sprinkler system, the fire could have ended in tragedy, [East Lansing fire marshal] Pratt said.

“We dodged a bullet here,” Pratt said. “Had the building not been (protected by) sprinklers, there very easily could’ve been multiple deaths.”

This is why I – and plenty of other GCers – keep preaching about getting sprinklers.

As a separate issue, the arson aspects of this situation are very troubling, as are the reports of people being too intoxicated to get out on their own, or unwilling to get out of the building.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
http://www.statenews.com/index.php/a...._fire_marshal

Excerpt from much more detailed story on Michigan State student paper's site ^^:

The fire was contained to one room after an automatic sprinkler system at the house turned on. Without the sprinkler system, the fire could have ended in tragedy, [East Lansing fire marshal] Pratt said.

“We dodged a bullet here,” Pratt said. “Had the building not been (protected by) sprinklers, there very easily could’ve been multiple deaths.”

This is why I – and plenty of other GCers – keep preaching about getting sprinklers.

As a separate issue, the arson aspects of this situation are very troubling, as are the reports of people being too intoxicated to get out on their own, or unwilling to get out of the building.

I'm very glad nobody was injured or killed.

As to your last paragraph.. it's State.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

People being too intoxicated to get out on their own is not a surprise, no matter the college. Refusing to leave is just stupid. I'm also an advocate of sprinkler systems in mass housing. It has everything to do with updating building and fire codes. My husband actually has already responded to several fires at Ohio States greek houses (he can never remember which) this school year, not to mention all the off campus houses. He said none of the fraternity houses he's seen so far have sprinklers, or even automatic fire alarm systems that work. He said off campus houses are death traps, and it's really only a matter of time before another deadly fire happens there.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
People being too intoxicated to get out on their own is not a surprise, no matter the college. Refusing to leave is just stupid. I'm also an advocate of sprinkler systems in mass housing. It has everything to do with updating building and fire codes. My husband actually has already responded to several fires at Ohio States greek houses (he can never remember which) this school year, not to mention all the off campus houses. He said none of the fraternity houses he's seen so far have sprinklers, or even automatic fire alarm systems that work. He said off campus houses are death traps, and it's really only a matter of time before another deadly fire happens there.
More news: reportedly the Theta Chi house had failed the fire inspection that occurred prior to the night of the party and fire. The article (below) seems to bear out IrishLake's observations about alarms that don't work (too often because they've been turned off). Thank goodness the sprinklers in at least one room at Theta Chi did work. See

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/a..._prior_to_fire

Having a party with lots of guests when you've failed a fire inspection doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Even updating building and fire codes may not effect existing housing. It will only apply to them if they remodel or add on. I like the idea of sprinklers for businesses and communal living spaces (condos, apartments, dorms). Although I don't think it should be mandatory for single family homes. Sure recommend it but if the home owner doesn't want to then don't force them.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

iChuckled at "The house did not pass the October 31st inspection." After an October 28th fire? Shocker! They were damn lucky the fire was contained so quickly. This could have been a mass tragedy.

Mevara, I agree. Depending on the city and the codes, some places don't have to conform to current standards for whatever reason. To me though, communal living spaces (dorms, apartments, greek housing) should all have sprinklers, though. There is no way that can be enforced in privately owned single family residences, though.

For anyone who doesn't remember: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/ap...dly_fire_near/ The young man mentioned in the article was from my hometown. My husband, and the superiors that are mentoring him since he's a rookie, say it's only a matter of time before this happens again.

Last edited by IrishLake; 11-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi IrishLake,

The pre-fire inspection that they didn't pass was Sept. 29, according to a report.

". . . did not pass a city inspection Sept. 29 partly because some fire alarms were missing. "

The Oct. date was the deadline for adddressing the multiple violations found Sept. 29.
See

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/a..._prior_to_fire

Quote:
iChuckled at "The house did not pass the October 31st inspection." After an October 28th fire? Shocker! They were damn lucky the fire was contained so quickly. This could have been a mass tragedy.

Mevara, I agree. Depending on the city and the codes, some places don't have to conform to current standards for whatever reason. To me though, communal living spaces (dorms, apartments, greek housing) should all have sprinklers, though. There is no way that can be enforced in privately owned single family residences, though.

For anyone who doesn't remember: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/ap...dly_fire_near/ The young man mentioned in the article was from my hometown. My husband, and the superiors that are mentoring him since he's a rookie, say it's only a matter of time before this happens again.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-02-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. I got that. They were scheduled for another inspection on the 31st. 3 days after a fire. And they didn't pass. Imagine that.

Last edited by IrishLake; 11-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.