GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,243
3 members and 1,240 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 10-12-2014, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

For second rounds it was the sisterhood round. Two days combined into one post. I got back three sororities:

Journey of The Little Mermaid
Space Ranger Spin
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Again, wasn't too upset. A lot of girls in my Rho Chi were really upset. (Massie only got four, and the only she liked was her legacy Incredible's Dance Party). A lot of girls were crying and thinking of dropping. I tried to convince girls that they should go to the rounds, because I knew a lot of girls dropped last year in between first and second rounds.

It really stank not getting back Haunted Mansion and Laugh Floor since I really really liked them. I wasn't too surprised I didn't get back Tom Sawyer Island even though I was legacy, since I didn't really feel a big connection (although it would have been nice to join the same one my mom was in!). But I was really surprised Journey of The Little Mermaid asked me back but I wasn't complaining.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom - Talked to two girls here. The first was really nice but talked a little smack about other chapters before backtracking herself. I don't think she meant it cruelly but eh. Second girl was really nice and peppy and seemed to really love her sorority, which I really appreciated. She was someone I would want to be friends with. I don't remember what I talked about with the third girl.
Space Ranger Spin - I like this one but I don't really remember how the conversations went. The video they showed us was cute.
Journey of The Little Mermaid - I was really surprised I Got this one back. I talked by myself with a girl who apparently missed some meeting where they told the sisters what to do during rush so she was a little lost but the conversation went pretty well. I couldn't hear her much but she was really talkative. Their video was well-done and unique; it definitely showed the vibe of their sorority.

Similar to the last round, you were supposed to eliminate five when you had a max of eight, leaving three for preference night. I only had three so didn't have to make any decisions ranking. I hope I get three back so I have more choices and experiences for preference night but what happens happens. My Rho Chi's said that on preference night if you rank all the sororities you get, you are guaranteed a bid. So it's nice to know I will be in a sorority if I get asked back to any of them on preference night.

P.S. I realized how unfortunate I keep getting back Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom due to its color. But I am keeping it for consistency! Hahaha.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad you could encourage the other girls in your group. Looking forward to more of your story.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like you kept an open mind to all the groups...good decision for your second time through!

Can't wait to hear the rest!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally it was here! Preference Night!
I got all dressed up and came in time to get my list. I was really nervous when I got it back. I almost didn't want to open it, you know that feeling?
Well anyways, I opened it and I got back.....

(No longer having some of the color now; it's killing my eyes).

I was upset that I only got one but honestly was not that surprised. Even though I loved (or thought I loved) Space Ranger Spin, I obviously didn't have as much as a connection as I hoped since I didn't remember much of their second rounds. And with Journey of The Little Mermaid, I thought they were nice girls but did not really see myself there in most of the rounds. Even though I didn't always have good conversations there, the best connection I had last round was with the second girl in Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, so like I said, it made sense I got that one back.

It's funny because the night before I was wondering what I would do if I had to decide between the three. Honestly, I wasn't sure. Journey of The Little Mermaid is pretty high in rankings and it surprised me that they asked me back last round. The appeal of being in a better house was very large in my "what-if" scenario. Guess it didn't really matter though, because I didn't have a choice.

This house I got back was known as the "bottom" house. A lot of girls were tent talking about it and it sort of made me mad. Like who's to say that one sorority is better than another when no one is even in one yet? Also there's the social stigma, which I was well aware of and trying my best to ignore. I did want to be in Greek life though. If last semester and the summer taught me anything it was that I wanted to be in a sorority.

I still wasn't sure if I wanted to be in Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom though. It was comforting to know that if I ranked them, I would get them. So I had a guarantee of getting in a sorority, which is what I wanted. Although I was unsure, I made the obvious decision of going to their pref party and see if I felt better about them as whole.

I don't remember what time my party was, but I had time to go home and relax. When it was time, I got ready and went to wait to enter Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.

The room was really beautifully decorated and the girls looked really nice. They had yummy treats and we got paired one-on-one with a sorority girl. I hadn't met the girl who preffed me before, but she was very nice. I had friend from freshman year in this sorority. She rushed last year and I remember talking to her on preference night about her rankings. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom wasn't her number one but she ended up in it and obviously stuck with it. I was looking for her in the room but wasn't sure if she was on shift this preference party.
After everyone got in the room, we all went to the sisters own rooms. There were four pairs of us in the room. One of the other sisters in the pair was the girl I had a good conversation with last round! Again her personality was really bubbly and the strange quasi-group-pair convo we had in the room together was not bad. You could really tell the sisters loved each other and would periodically mention inside jokes.

On the way back to the main room I saw my friend who joined last year. I asked her honestly if she liked it, and she said she loved it. She said she felt like she could truly be herself around her sisters. And that really stuck in my mind. After we went back to the main room a few sisters shared some personal stories. At the end of the party I had an idea of what I was going to do.

Side-Massie note: She got:
Space Ranger Spin
Incredible's Dance Party

She disliked Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and didn't really feel Space Ranger Spin. Her legacy, Incredible's Dance Party, she was in love with and really wanted them back. We talked, and she was considering suiciding. I asked her if she honestly felt like she could be in the other two houses and she said no. Although I wanted her to rank them all, it was her choice and she only ranked Incredible's Dance Party. At least she knew if she didn't get a call she was in!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Your friend might have felt a little safer, knowing the only one she listed was her legacy chapter, and the group might give legacies higher bid list ranking, but I'd still be nervous doing that! Can't wait to hear what happened. With both of you!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear what happened! Please post soon.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Me too.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Your friend might have felt a little safer, knowing the only one she listed was her legacy chapter, and the group might give legacies higher bid list ranking, but I'd still be nervous doing that! Can't wait to hear what happened. With both of you!
She was a legacy at the school too, so I think the thought of not being there after falling in love with it was too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYKAT View Post
Me too.
Thanks for the support! Next part coming now!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

So what did I do? I talked to my Rho Chi. Not gonna lie, since I wasn't a freshman, it wasn't hard to know which sorority ]my Rho Chi's were in. My favorite was from Haunted Mansion, and I talked to her. I hadn't cried at all during the process but when I was talking to her I started to cry. Even though I was realistic with the whole process I still obviously wanted to be in a sorority. I wanted to belong to a group and have sisters and do all the fun things that sororities do and just be a part of Greek life as a whole.

After talking with her, I decided to drop. And I honestly would have ranked the one sorority left if for one thing.... that a new sorority was colonizing on campus. I decided I would take my chance with them. Is it shallow that I'd rather take a shot at being in a new sorority than being in the "worst" one? Maybe. But also as someone older it would be cool to be in a new sorority, to be a founder, and to get possible leadership positions right out the bat.

The new sorority's recruitment process ended in October, which is why I couldn't finish my story until now!

While I was talking about formal recruitment, my friend Jane* in my grade became interested. She accidently missed the registration deadline. So as I was going through formal, she was considering the colonization recruitment. By the time I dropped, we decided to go to the information session for the new sorority.

Apparently there were 600 girls who registered for the colonization and/or went to the information meeting, and they only were looking to take 200. This made me worried. Did I screw up my chance of going Greek by not ranking the other sorority? I came into the colonization process thinking it wouldn't be very difficult at all. Regardless, I did my best to say quick hellos to the women from the sorority. It was them I'd have to prove that I deserved to be in their sorority, not girls on campus. I also went to an informal event to talk with some other hopefuls and to say hello again to the sorority consultants (two women from other chapters who recently graduated).

During my interview I was asked pretty basic questions. They went over my resume and I asked a few questions about the philanthropy and leadership positions. I was interviewed by two women. One of them seemed interested, but the other, who was higher up, seemed uninterested. Not unkind, but perhaps bored. On the way out I said a few words to the consultants, trying to be friendly and help them recognize me!

They had another event where we met current sisters from chapters nearby. They were all dressed up and I guess it was a fancy version of second rounds? We talked about everything from leadership to social events to philanthropy. I guess they were getting in as much information as they could! The girls seemed nice and seemed to love their sorority (I think most girls do, though). We didn't have much time with them but I met a girl named Sarah* who I talked to for like 20 minutes before the actual event. She was also my grade and she was a lot more confident about getting in. The next round was preference night and she wasn't even considering the fact that she might not get an invite. Regardless, Sarah seemed sweet!

They told us that we would get an e-mail telling us if we were invited to preference round. We were told not to wait up for the e-mail. Good thing I didn't], because sometime after 2am I got an e-mail from them.

I was invited to preference round!!! I was excited but not tooo surprised. When I entered and left the room from the previous event, the consultants said hello and goodbye, and they didn't say that to everyone. It felt good to know they recognized me and I think they liked me!

My friend Jane also got invited to preference too! She had to buy her dress but I just wore won I wore to a football game earlier that weekend (lol). As they called our names in for preference night, I heard Sarah's name! Yay! She didn't see me yet but it was nice to know there was a familiar face in the room. During preference night they had us talk to current sisters and consultants. The two girls we talked to (there were like four of us PNMs) were very nice. We PNMs didn't get to talk much because they were so talkative and they were from the same chapter so they kept bouncing off each other. They kept talking up the sorority a lot! Even though it was annoying just listening it was really nice to hear all the good stuff they had to say. Another girl came over who I could tell was hilarious and just gave out a cool vibe. During this part I awkwardly took a chocolate they had out to wrap up my gum in. It was really awkward and I should have just swallowed the gum before I entered the room. >.<

Near the end we did a ceremony. It was nice but I didn't get goosebumps or anything. Then we all left and I saw my friend Jane waiting for the next party since her time was scheduled different from mine. She was sort of nervous but I was glad I was done. There was really nothing I could do anymore. Although I really really wanted to get in, I pretty much set myself up for disappointment in the back of my head. Setting my expectations low was a way of not getting overly upset. I guess it's not the best way to cope but this has been a super stressful semester and it was just easier.

Again, they told us not to wait up. Bid day was really quick; the very next day. So I would know when I woke up.

*Names changed

Also! Massie got into her legacy!! Woop woop! She was so happy and I was so happy for her!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

AND....??????
Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

This one is killing me, and I'm usually pretty patient with recruitment stories.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
This one is killing me, and I'm usually pretty patient with recruitment stories.
Me too.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandDone View Post

The new sorority's recruitment process ended in October, which is why I couldn't finish my story until now!

So are you wearing a new member pin? Sure hope so!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm interested, but I'm also annoyed because this one could have been finished up with the last post.

See: The next day I did/did not get a bid to the colonizing chapter. I'm now thrilled to be/sad not to be a new member of ABC!!!! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of my new sisters OR I'm going to try again with informal/COB next semester OR SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME!"
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I'm interested, but I'm also annoyed because this one could have been finished up with the last post.

See: The next day I did/did not get a bid to the colonizing chapter. I'm now thrilled to be/sad not to be a new member of ABC!!!! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of my new sisters OR I'm going to try again with informal/COB next semester OR SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME!"
I'm so with you on this. Was going to type attention whore but I am saving that for someone else on GreekChat.