GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,542
2 members and 2,540 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 04-13-2000, 10:47 AM

Question Masons

Did I imagine I heard this, or is there/was there a GLO specifically for sons of Masons? I was watching a documentary on Masons the other week and that reminded me of it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2000, 10:52 AM
Tammy

Acacia may be the one that you are thinking about. However they dropped that requirement eons ago.

FYI - There was a former NPC Sorority who could only pledge members of the Order of the Eastern Star. That sorority, Phi Omega Pi, had to drop the requirement in order to get into NPC. About 20 years later, they merged with Delta Zeta.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:14 AM
cutiepatootie

Lightbulb interesting fact!

I never knew that about masons and the Eastern Star.

I am from a avery active masoinc family and i am also a member of Eastern Star and a past Job's Daughters. I had two friends who were friends from college but since have all gone seperate ways, but none the less ,they were Delta Zetas.
I never was told of that connection when i was heading off to college and filing out scholarship applications of a connection there. Thats ok I am very happy in my alumnae initation pursuits with xyz sorority to even consider pursuing that coincendential connection.

Laura
Old 06-06-2002, 01:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to TPASteph
It isn't a requirement to be the son of a Mason to be a brother at Acacia, but they become members of the masonry when they are initated into Acacia.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Silly question: what's the Order of the Eastern Star?
Old 06-06-2002, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Masonic connection to ACACIA

TPASteph
As I understand it ACACIA used to have a requirement that in order to join one had to either be a Mason or a Masonic legacy. That requirement was relaxed some years back but there is still a close bond of friendship between Acacia and Masonry much like deMolay and Masonry although probably not as close. However, I am reasonably sure that when one is initiated into ACACIA one is not made a Mason by doing so. The organizations are seperate and while the one was founded by the other it does not automatically confer mutual membership. Since ACACIA was founded on Masonic principles it would seem logical that lots of ACACIAS join a Lodge of Masons later in life. Anyway, maybe we can get a brother from ACACIA to reply to this thread and see if he would explain the history and present relationship between Masonry and ACACIA. There has to be a lot of open information that could be shared. Any other Masons or Acacias out there care to join in? Thanks,
dekeguy
Old 06-06-2002, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RockChalk
Silly question: what's the Order of the Eastern Star?
It's kind of like a female branch of masonry.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-06-2002, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

^ thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 03:47 PM
cutiepatootie

Wink Demolay and masons

Oh boy do i remember the demolays! those were some great dances we had with them while i was in Job's Daughters!

Laura
Old 06-06-2002, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

lol.. I remember those dances too.. cutie... I was both a rainbow girl and Job's Daughter.. I'm going home in a couple weeks to be installing officer for 2 installations in 1 day!!!

dekeguy- do you come from a masonic family? are you active in mason right now?

Sarah
Old 06-06-2002, 08:42 PM
cutiepatootie

sounds like deja vu!

I had that same weekend last weekend i am a PHQ/MM and PBG at 33 and i have been making the installation round the last few weekends and heading into it againthis weekend. When you play piano your attendance is requested HEAVILY!

Laura
Old 06-06-2002, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Masons

confusedgrl83,
Do I come from a Masonic family? Sort of, I suppose. My Dad is not a Mason but both my Grandfathers are.
One Great-Grandfather was and one wasn't. Yes, I am a Mason and I am as active as I can be right now, but Law School doesn't leave a whole lot of time. I did my JYA in England where I joined my Great-Grandfather's and Grandfather's Lodge. After graduation I went on active duty and was stationed in the UK. While I was there I picked up an MA from my old University where I did my JYA and I had the very unusual chance to serve as Master of the Lodge due to several Lodge Officers having to defer their succession through the chairs leaving a big gap in the line up that I was lucky enough to fill. Now I am back in the US and trying to keep my head above water in Law School.
dekeguy
Old 06-06-2002, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Laura-
I play piano as well! When I was more active in Job's.. I always was musician at official visits (each bethel did initiation).. now my mom plays at some or is installing musician for some bethels!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this thread is from so long ago but i want to make one correction, Eastern Star is not a female form of Masonry. If you knew anything about it you would know that women as well as men join. Its a branch off of masonry just like rainbow and Demolay. I am currently Adah in my Eastern Star chapter and Grand Drill Leader in Rainbow. My dad is a 32rd degree Mason, a Shriner, member of the Scottish Rite, and anything else affiliated with Masons. From the time I was born I was brought up around all this and every member in my family has some tie to Masonry and the many branches of it.

Last edited by cantwait08; 04-17-2008 at 10:38 PM.