GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,311
2 members and 2,309 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment starts this weekend, too late for Recs?

So I decided last minute to rush this year. Everyone else was, and they sucked me into it. I have friends from high school who have graduated and are sorority alumnas of organizations on my campus. Is it too late for them to submit recs for me? First rounds are tomorrow night!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm nervous and excited, and not exactly sure what to expect.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM

I had to go check and see if you were rushing at Ole Miss. Because if you were I was going to tell you you were pretty much screwed.

But as you are not...better late than never. Have your friends go ahead and send recs in.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I would also tell your Rho Chi, just to see what she says. Since she's at your school, she'll know how important they are moreso than we do on your campus.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I would also tell your Rho Chi, just to see what she says. Since she's at your school, she'll know how important they are moreso than we do on your campus.
Agreed. It seems to me that most recruitments starting at this time of year (except obviously Ole Miss) are probably ones that don't place a lot of emphasis on recs.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly if I were you I would probably just feel bad asking friends to submit a rec immediately. It's not very polite. And recs are usually sent via mail, so it might not even make it on time.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Nah. If you just decided to go through, they'll understand the lateness. However, I would only ask people who you know well enough that they'd gladly jump through hoops for you. Your Mom's best friend, for example, would probably be glad to do it. But I wouldn't contact your local Alumnae Panhellenic. THAT would be rude. You'll have to decide how close these high school friends are and whether they'd be glad to help, or annoyed that you've made a request with such a short window of opportunity to get it finished.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It also depends on the timeframe for recruitment. Does it last one week? Two weeks? Where in the process would your recs arrive?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I was able to get one of my friends to send in a rec for me. She didn't have the form, but she sent a letter to the chapter on my behalf. Rounds start tonight, and I find out on Monday if I get a bid! Wish me luck!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2BGreek View Post
Well, I was able to get one of my friends to send in a rec for me. She didn't have the form, but she sent a letter to the chapter on my behalf. Rounds start tonight, and I find out on Monday if I get a bid! Wish me luck!
I hate to be Debbie Downer about this, but this "she didn't have the form" seems a little questionable to me. Most, if not all, NPC sororities have recommendation forms on the members only side of their websites, so I have a hard time believing that your friend "didn't have the form."

Also, recommendation form =/= recommendation letter. But hey, if your campus is one where recs aren't absolutely necessary, it may not even make a difference.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

At least it's an introduction. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
I hate to be Debbie Downer about this, but this "she didn't have the form" seems a little questionable to me. Most, if not all, NPC sororities have recommendation forms on the members only side of their websites, so I have a hard time believing that your friend "didn't have the form."

Also, recommendation form =/= recommendation letter. But hey, if your campus is one where recs aren't absolutely necessary, it may not even make a difference.
if her friend is a recent graduate, she may not be savvy as to her sorority's national website. she may not even have signed up as a sister on the website,may not have joined an alumnae chapter yet and her sorority magazines may still be going to her parents home, so i can see her not having a recommendation form.

good luck to you OP.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
if her friend is a recent graduate, she may not be savvy as to her sorority's national website. she may not even have signed up as a sister on the website,may not have joined an alumnae chapter yet and her sorority magazines may still be going to her parents home, so i can see her not having a recommendation form.

good luck to you OP.
Indeed. The first time I tried to access my national website, they wanted my member number, and I had no idea how to get that, so I had to e-mail someone for it, and it took a few days.