GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,305
1 members and 1,304 guests
speedsters

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
And in 40 some odd years you'll get to wear it!
Haha yeah, let's see...47 and a half years from now!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
Blondie,
The collector who won this badge IS a THETA and has been seeking an opaled Dyer badge since 1990. Collectors work hard at finding badges and when you have coveted this one as much as she has (and put in as many Theta volunteer hours for the past 2 DECADES), you can't fault her for her winning bid. She did have to overcome another Theta collector AND a collector with DEEP pockets to win this.
I don't fault her at all! I am glad to hear that the collector IS a theta, as it wasn't clear before.

Most of all, I am thrilled that this beautiful badge can be proudly worn and not stored away in a box by a non-member. No doubt she is loving it. Congrats to her.

This is the best news that I have heard all day! I am on cloud nine!

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 11-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I always heard (niece of a jeweler) that opals were only bad luck if you bought them for yourself - if you inherited them or someone you loved bought you one, they were OK.
My mother inherited a HUGE opal ring, because her birthday was in October. She would never allow me to wear it because I'm born in September. So, she decided that she would leave it to a friend of mine, who lived with us while in high school. I cannot find that ring anywhere!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
My chapter president was actually talking to me about this the other day. She asked if I had ever seen Theta Phi's chapter president badge, and informed me that it's a different badge that is passed down when a new president takes office.

Is that practiced in all chapters? Or can a president order her own to keep?

I looked it up on Google and this is the only picture that came up:

Is this the actual president's badge?

If so, I think it's gorgeous
Yup, that's the one. The chapter purchases the badge, and it is then passed down. My chapter follows this practice, but I can't be certain about others. I haven't heard otherwise.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are some more older style Gamma Phi Beta badges...these first two are from the Founders of the Epsilon Chapter (Northwestern)
These are badges that Epsilon Chapter members left to their chapter

(pardon my bad photography)
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Joliebelle, those are some incredible badges - its so interesting to see how the badge style has changed through the years.

A question for Gamma Phis: An acquaintance of mine has a badge with light pink (or mode?) enamel on the crescent instead of black. Is this offered but less popular, a vintage badge, an award badge, or what? I didn't really have the opportunity to ask her, and I didn't want to stare because it's often difficult to admire someone's badge without looking like you're admiring her boobs...
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Oooh, those are really neat, joliebelle! It's interesting how the letters are placed differently now and the crescent used to extend so much more. Cool stuff!

ETA: I guess the crescent goes around about the same amount as those old badges, but it looks skinnier and more pointy on the edges. The jewels are also super neat!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Humm.. I don't understand how you'd get away with not owning a badge at all... I know we are supposed to wear them for formal meetings and such... Phi Sig only has two options... no one really upgrades from the one that is given with dues in my chapter.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
A question for Gamma Phis: An acquaintance of mine has a badge with light pink (or mode?) enamel on the crescent instead of black. Is this offered but less popular, a vintage badge, an award badge, or what? I didn't really have the opportunity to ask her, and I didn't want to stare because it's often difficult to admire someone's badge without looking like you're admiring her boobs...
Gamma Phi Beta badges have black enamel on the crescent. The only alternate color I know of is white for past and present international officers. Is it possible that it was a white crescent?

Here's what it looks like:

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, she is definitely not an international officer! I'll have to ask her about it next time, or make sure I wasn't mistaken...like I said blatant boob ogling is a sure way to get slapped across the face!

ETA: Thanks Kelly!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I just found the site for Alphas to order their ADPi pin, and I'm amazed at the different options! Click here, pick any college (it's there to keep you honest ), then on the next page, click where it says "Click here to see badge and guard options."
I will say again that I half envy those of you who have sooo many badge options. On the one hand, it's nice that all AEPhis have the same exact badge; on the other hand, I'd probably wear my badge more often if I'd had the option of white gold instead of yellow.

There's one item in the catalog that caused me to raise an eyebrow. "The Alpha Delta Pi badge is never worn with formal attire, except at an exclusive sorority event such as Grand Convention or an Installation Banquet." Just wondering why it's forbidden. I've worn my badge at formal events, including those not directly related to my sorority - hey, you're dressed up, why not wear your badge? So... why the prohibition?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Well, she is definitely not an international officer! I'll have to ask her about it next time, or make sure I wasn't mistaken...like I said blatant boob ogling is a sure way to get slapped across the face!

ETA: Thanks Kelly!
To add to what Kelly said, the black crescent was officially adopted by amendment to the constitution in 1902. Prior to that some women (mostly at Beta, in Michigan) would opt for white enamel on their crescent instead. I'm not positive when the International Officers started doing white enamel, but they have been the only ones authorized to do so since 1902.

(One caveat to that - I know that as late as the 40s or possibly 50s there were women who had their own jewelers make them badges, even though that was technically not allowed. So it is possible that someone had a non-uniform badge made post-1901, which is the year that 5 official jewelers were named in the country. But it's much less likely to find unique badges that were made after 1901. Pre-1901 there are a lot of variations, as evidenced by some of the amazing pictures above!)

I'd really be interested to find out more about her badge!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

This is supposedly a picture of AOII's founders' badges. They look a little different in styling than our current badges. Only one is the original I guess since they were plain gold with the ruby at the apex of the A. Three of the founders upgraded. I saw the badges at IHQ. Stella's badge was well worn with the top of her O bent forward.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 11-11-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Here are some more older style Gamma Phi Beta badges...these first two are from the Founders of the Epsilon Chapter (Northwestern)
These are badges that Epsilon Chapter members left to their chapter

(pardon my bad photography)
What a wonderful tradition Epsilon chapter was able to establish with those badges. I'd love to have a collection of chapter badges at Lambda Tau, though, without a dorm, we'd have nowhere to display them anymore

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
What a wonderful tradition Epsilon chapter was able to establish with those badges. I'd love to have a collection of chapter badges at Lambda Tau, though, without a dorm, we'd have nowhere to display them anymore
Well you could just give them to Lambda Tau as honor badges one day Here are two pictures of their two honor badges. One badge is from Kappa chapter and I can't remember where the other one is from.

From Kappa chapter.