GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,812
0 members and 1,812 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Under The Table Business?

Greetings!

It's been a long time coming for me, and with a lot of soul-searching, research, observing, and waiting, I have reached a crossroads that I have yet to overcome. So I thought why not go straight to the source with my inquiries!

I am a prospect of XYZ, and after getting myself in the best position to be the most competitive and desirable applicant possible I was ready to take the first step to seeking membership.

Then the problem arose.

I attend an institution in the south that is infamous for having an almost non-existent minority population. Due to this fact, the NPHC orgs on campus post fliers, tweets, and Facebook updates about upcoming interest meetings. There will be fliers on every flat surface you can see! All of the orgs except the one I am interested in.

In a way, this sort of offends me. Semester after semester a new line of girls magically appear. Even other greeks are confused!

To get to the point, is there something I'm not understanding about seeking membership? The university requires certain documentation be submitted a set amount of days before the interest meeting and more afterwards, but how am I to do so if there is never a meeting! Or for a different perspective, if the interest meetings aren't made known to the general public?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You have posted this in the AKA forum, so I don't think this is about XYZ.

Membership questions are not discussed.

I observe an inconsistency in your story that leads to the answer to your question, hopefully. The minority population of your school is small, yet the org keeps initiating new members.

Surely you know the members.

Surely you can ask them your questions.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
You have posted this in the AKA forum, so I don't think this is about XYZ.

Membership questions are not discussed.

I observe an inconsistency in your story that leads to the answer to your question, hopefully. The minority population of your school is small, yet the org keeps initiating new members.

Surely you know the members.

Surely you can ask them your questions.

1) There doesn't seem to be a specific grouping of topics just for NPHC orgs, and members from all orgs seem to have input in multiple places, so the placement of this thread isn't for specific reasons.

2) I apologize if that fact seemed to be an 'inconsistency' but it stands true. There is a very small population of minorities at my institution, but I never said how many members are being initiated at a time, nor did I specify the ethnicity of these members. Those facts are irrelevant to my question.

3) I do not consider this a question of 'membership'. Rather I consider this a question of protocol. If I'm not mistaken, an official Rush (or interest meeting) must be attended before someone is considered. Are there exceptions to this rule? Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

I'm not asking for someone to tell me 'how to get into XYZ'. I feel if I'm right for the organization, I can do so on my own. My question boils down to, who do I need to contact to make sure the chapter of the org at my institution is doing things appropriately? I feel justified in questioning this.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
I feel justified in questioning this.
You aren't.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You aren't.
Not in the least.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You aren't.
Maybe there is more I have yet to uncover, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Would you feel comfortable purchasing a new car without the dealer revealing how much you'd be billed each month? The condition of the engine? The miles on the car?

It could be possible that my six years of the military has put me in a strictly upfront, business-like mindset because the responses I have received so far on this forum are not what I expected.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, don't mind my last post.

I see this is not a community where aspirants are embraced or educated. This has opened my eyes to the nature of these organizations. Thank you for your time and opinions. Be blessed.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Greetings!

It's been a long time coming for me, and with a lot of soul-searching, research, observing, and waiting, I have reached a crossroads that I have yet to overcome. So I thought why not go straight to the source with my inquiries!

I am a prospect of XYZ, and after getting myself in the best position to be the most competitive and desirable applicant possible I was ready to take the first step to seeking membership.

Then the problem arose.

I attend an institution in the south that is infamous for having an almost non-existent minority population. Due to this fact, the NPHC orgs on campus post fliers, tweets, and Facebook updates about upcoming interest meetings. There will be fliers on every flat surface you can see! All of the orgs except the one I am interested in.

In a way, this sort of offends me. Semester after semester a new line of girls magically appear. Even other greeks are confused!

To get to the point, is there something I'm not understanding about seeking membership? The university requires certain documentation be submitted a set amount of days before the interest meeting and more afterwards, but how am I to do so if there is never a meeting! Or for a different perspective, if the interest meetings aren't made known to the general public?
Quote:
1) There doesn't seem to be a specific grouping of topics just for NPHC orgs, and members from all orgs seem to have input in multiple places, so the placement of this thread isn't for specific reasons.

2) I apologize if that fact seemed to be an 'inconsistency' but it stands true. There is a very small population of minorities at my institution, but I never said how many members are being initiated at a time, nor did I specify the ethnicity of these members. Those facts are irrelevant to my question.

3) I do not consider this a question of 'membership'. Rather I consider this a question of protocol. If I'm not mistaken, an official Rush (or interest meeting) must be attended before someone is considered. Are there exceptions to this rule? Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

I'm not asking for someone to tell me 'how to get into XYZ'. I feel if I'm right for the organization, I can do so on my own. My question boils down to, who do I need to contact to make sure the chapter of the org at my institution is doing things appropriately? I feel justified in questioning this.
Quote:
Maybe there is more I have yet to uncover, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Would you feel comfortable purchasing a new car without the dealer revealing how much you'd be billed each month? The condition of the engine? The miles on the car?

It could be possible that my six years of the military has put me in a strictly upfront, business-like mindset because the responses I have received so far on this forum are not what I expected.
Quote:
Actually, don't mind my last post.

I see this is not a community where aspirants are embraced or educated. This has opened my eyes to the nature of these organizations. Thank you for your time and opinions. Be blessed.
The community where you need to be educated is the community in which you aspire to be a member. There are members on campus. That is who you need to befriend.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get over here anymore.

@ OP, If it's not about AKA, then why are you here? What could we possible have to say about the machinations of some other organization? Maybe you are clueless because you keep looking/posting/asking in the wrong place?

@Sen, thanks for holding it down pham. I know my sorors are not here are often as we used to be.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I don't get over here anymore.
I do my best to get over here, but I somehow still missed out on this one. The OP writes well, and I'm always a fan of a well-written inquiry post.
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASista View Post
I do my best to get over here, but I somehow still missed out on this one. The OP writes well, and I'm always a fan of a well-written inquiry post.
Look at you, saying something nice. .
I defer to the nicer than me Soror.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
Look at you, saying something nice. .
I defer to the nicer than me Soror.
LOL! We have to continue to show our light, soror!

Besides, I'm an ol' skool greekchat-er (since 2000 ... (which sounds weird being referred to as ol' skool at all ... )), and the replies from sorors back then were always so much more patient and inviting to new posters.

I don't know what happened between then and now, but I guess sorors got a little fed up with having to repeat themselves over and over and over again. It happens sometimes, I guess.
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASista View Post
I don't know what happened between then and now, but I guess sorors got a little fed up with having to repeat themselves over and over and over again. It happens sometimes, I guess.

That and the Internet Generation. In general, the Internet Generation is more annoying than previous generations because in some regards technology and the Internet have eroded their brain cells. This results in the desire for quick and easy fixes via typing and clicking on the Internet rather than talking to people in real life and doing extensive research and reading.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello Friend,
Allow me to shed some light on the situation for you. Just because you do not see the flyers, that does not mean that they do not exist. It would be a great idea for you to attempt to connect with the members of the organization in which you are interested. They can give you the best and most accurate information about how to continue your membership pursuit. I hope that this information helps!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Pardon my swerve and my off-topic-ness, but from the title of the thread and reading the first few lines, I thought that the OP was going to say that the flyers for all the other organizations are taped to every flat surface, but the one she was interested in taped them on the underside of tables, and how were people supposed to know to look for flyers "under the table". Thus turning it into "the people who need to know, know".

Yeah, ridiculous, but it just popped into my head.

/getting back into my lane and just off the highway because I shouldn't be "driving" right now.