GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,528
1 members and 1,527 guests
naraht

Old 12-20-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My Very 80's wedding I've been meaning to scan these and post them for a while now.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-20-2008, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Ohhh Dee what is on your head!!! And are those fan bouquets? Cuz I definitely carried a fan bouquet a double wedding I stood up in back in the 80s. I'm trying to post a pic of the dress I wore but it's not working. How do you post pics in here now? I keep putting the URL in the insert image thing and it won't put the code in.

KLTC

Last edited by PM_Mama00; 12-20-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of veil is that? I'm not mocking or anything but I genuinely like to see the styles that have evolved over the years and I haven't seen a veil like yours.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Weren't the 80s SUPER!

Memmmmmories . . . like the corner of my mind.

I need to find my beautiful pink and grey 80s wedding pictures. Oh, yes, it was something.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

OMFG I love the eyeshadow, it looks pink and purple.

Is the attendant in the hat one with a special title?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 AM

Dee, you made my night. The veil, the sleeves, the eyeshadow, wow.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep, totally late 80's, May 13th, 1989 to be exact. Those veils were pretty common actually! Like a head band with the big poof above and it was very long in back. Yep, big poofy sleeves, the eyeshadow WAS pink and purple! The hair is spiral permed. My hair is naturally pin straight.

The bouquets weren't fan bouquets, but a cascading bouquet.

The one with the hat is my maid of honor (and sister-daughter). She was also the maid of honor for my second wedding.

The disaster is that the veil came unsewed in the middle of the top of the top during the reception so the top part drooped backward and it was only poofy on the sides. Thankfully, my aunt had thread in her purse so I sewed it in the restroom. I wish I had the pic of the veil over my face, because it came from the back, up and over the big poof and over my face..lol. I destroyed most of the pics from that wedding when I got divorced. My mom had these in her stash of pictures.

ETA: I just found one more of the whole bridal party (I'm going through all my pics to scan some and load them on the digital picture frame I got for my dad for Christmas).

PM_Mama: I put them on photobucket and then click on the picture and it gives you the Image code to copy and paste into here.

Last edited by AGDee; 12-21-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
My cousin, who got married in NY in I believe 91? She had big poof sleeves, a mermaid style bodice and the bottom was big and poofy. There was no bustle. She had to walk around holding the train all night. Her headpiece was the V style, where it comes on your forehead like a V, with a big poof in the back. Her bridesmais wore purple dresses with matching purple V poofs lol.

Here's the dress from the double wedding. Us flower girls (I think there were 4 total?) wore these dresses, and the bridesmaids dresses were the same but no lace. What you can't see is that there is a train that bustles really pretty with the lace. The groomsmen wore grey tuxes with blue bowties and cumberbuns. Oh and they had tails. I can't remember if the two brides wore the same dress. I wana say they were different. It was crazy. I have a large extended family and every single one of my cousins stood up, and the bride and groom weren't even family. Dee who knows. You might have been in the wedding too!

KLTC

Last edited by PM_Mama00; 12-21-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Mine was bustled. I swear that dress weighed 50 pounds total though. My back was killing me by the end of the night!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Mine was bustled. I swear that dress weighed 50 pounds total though. My back was killing me by the end of the night!
And that's why I got a dress with a detachable train. Once the ceremony was over, I just got my MOH to unhook the damn thing. No way did I want to go through a 5-hour reception with that much material hanging off my @$$.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
RE: The China Pattern.

My mom gave me the same advice. I saw some really great snazzy new patterns at Macy's...but decided to go with a simple double platinum band on the rim and one band on the inner bowl (and we ordered it at BBB, rather than Macy's because it was about $20 cheaper for the same place setting (go figure?)). It just seemed like we could use it as a nice plain "base" and then have fancy table linens or decorations to jazz it up.

My everyday china, however, was a bit more colorful. We got the Martha Stewart Maidenhair fern pattern in blue ,with a mix of plain blue dinner plates, white and blue patterned salad plates, a mixture of blue, white, and patterned bowls, and a set of patterned cups. Matchy, but not matchy matchy.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My sister and I both chose Wedgwood patterns that have never been discontinued (knock on wood). I chose Osborne which has a gold band and a very tiny flower motif. The colors are dark so it isn't too feminine despite the flowers. Our maternal grandparents started us off with 8 place settings as college graduation presents. Our silver was given to us in high school by one of our great-grandmothers on our dad's side. My daughter inherited my maternal grandmother's china when she was about 5. It is a Lenox pattern that was used in the White House at some point. I can't remember the pattern name and I'm too lazy to unearth storage boxes to check. Daughter can take it when she graduates from college.
http://images1.hdpi.com/product/Os.JPG

Last edited by alum; 12-23-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I'm just giving the advice of the plain-ish china; I didn't listen myself although at times, I wish I had. I think knowing that I'm inheriting at least two other patterns helps. Mine is Mikasa's April Rose:

This is from ebay, where the color is somewhat truer than Replacements Ltd. I also turn the rose about 3" counterclockwise.

AGDee, I know those pictures and outfits all too well! My hair was short, though, and my bridesmaids wore pink.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

China Patterns

This is one of the two Lenox patterns I have - I was trying to match my mil's pattern, which is the same colours as this (Essex), but has a more solid garland around the edge.
Found it! Lenox Royal Maroon.

This is Wedgwood Medici, my wedding china. It is going to daughter #2.
Below is Wedgwood Chester - Gypsyboot's china. It was my mother's.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 01-02-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:41 PM

I have my mother's china, which is Royal Doulton Burgundy.