GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,047
2 members and 1,045 guests
LarryByday

Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi O Chapter on Interim Suspension (UCF; Alleged Hazing); 3 Resign

Central Florida has placed the Chi Omega chapter on interim suspension; see

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5860827.story

excerpts from ^^:

“By Denise-Marie Ordway and Tiffany Walden, Orlando Sentinel
5:57 p.m. EDT, April 16, 2014

UCF has suspended its Chi Omega chapter over hazing allegations against three members of the sorority, who are accused of blindfolding two pledges and taking them to woods on campus to drain an entire bottle of rum.

The University of Central Florida police department also is investigating the April 4 incident.

After the two drank the bottle, the pledges were taken to a school parking garage and abandoned, . . . . The only injury reported involved a pledge who scraped and bruised her hand and arm after she fell while trying to find her way home.
. . . The three Chi Omega members involved have resigned from the sorority, said a spokeswoman for the sorority's national headquarters . . . .
UCF sent a letter to the president of the sorority chapter Monday saying the group was being placed on interim suspension, effective immediately. . . . “
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Good. Not only should the 3 members who hazed the NMs resign their membership, but UCF should expel them.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, now....

I have a family member who is a recent alum of Chi O at UCF, and I can say wholeheartedly that they are one of (if not the single) best chapter at that school. UCF Greek Life is all sorts of horrible - many of my other family members are currently Greeks there, and the stuff they tell me has me livid. The entire Greek system was recently on suspension for their outrageous behavior. Chi O is a model chapter, and it really saddens me that they're going to take the fall for the errant actions of a few members. UCF is going to be tough on them too, given their national reputation right now for out-of-control Greeks. But I was very proud of Chi O and doing the right thing by self-reporting the incident to the school and their nationals and handling everything in a mature way. If they go (and I think they might), UCF will be losing their strongest sisterhood. In my experience, the rest of that school is full of the most stereotypically selfish, vapid, and substance-obsessed people I've ever seen wearing letters, and they give Greek life in general an awful name.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheLyre View Post
I have a family member who is a recent alum of Chi O at UCF, and I can say wholeheartedly that they are one of (if not the single) best chapter at that school. UCF Greek Life is all sorts of horrible - many of my other family members are currently Greeks there, and the stuff they tell me has me livid. The entire Greek system was recently on suspension for their outrageous behavior. Chi O is a model chapter, and it really saddens me that they're going to take the fall for the errant actions of a few members. UCF is going to be tough on them too, given their national reputation right now for out-of-control Greeks. But I was very proud of Chi O and doing the right thing by self-reporting the incident to the school and their nationals and handling everything in a mature way. If they go (and I think they might), UCF will be losing their strongest sisterhood. In my experience, the rest of that school is full of the most stereotypically selfish, vapid, and substance-obsessed people I've ever seen wearing letters, and they give Greek life in general an awful name.
Perhaps you mean well, LovetheLyre, and mean to sound supportive of Chi Omega, but throwing shade on every other GLO at that school (which you don't attend) isn't very Panhellenic. Nor is it appreciated. And you don't know all the facts or details. None of us do.

I have confidence that Chi Omega can manage its own chapters and members, just as my own chapter can and does.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 AM
GreekChat Member

What gives Greek life a bad name?

Hazing.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Kudos to the chapter for self reporting.

The culture of UCF has changed completely. Not just the Greek system, but the entire school.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
What gives Greek life a bad name?

Hazing.
And RMF.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Adpiucf, do you mean that the university culture has changed for the worse or the better? I am not familiar with the school. I have always envisioned it as tilting toward party school status.

Last edited by pinksequins; 04-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Adpiucf, do you mean that the university culture has changed for the worse or the better? I am not familiar with the school. I have always envisioned it as tilting toward party school status.
Yes. I wouldn't be interested in attending now if I were looking at undergrad schools. I chose UCF over FSU and UF because I was looking at Florida public schools and didn't want to go to a party school. The school has gotten too big for its britches: is it any wonder the Greek System has changed so much? When I was there, we were voted the number one Greek System in Florida.

I can speak for UCF sororities that they are committed to preventing hazing. Unfortunately, the actions of a few members going rogue because they thing it's fun ruin things for the whole bunch. Similar incidents, although not involving alcohol, happened among a couple UCF chapters when I was in school, and were a couple of members who decided, along with their little sisters, that this was a "rite of passage" and who lost their membership as a result.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Update:

The police investigation has been ended. The alleged victims have indicated they do not want to prosecute. (The alleged perpetrators have resigned from Chi Omega.) The university, it seems, will still do its investigation. All this is "reportedly"; see:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/featu...,3366568.story
Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Chi Omega HQ statement

http://www.chiomega.com/flourish/chi...chapterleaders
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheLyre View Post
Wow, um... what? How did I miss this?

You should not be so quick to judge other orgs or campuses. You have no idea what really went on.

And slamming other orgs in order to build one up is not the way to go about things. Ever.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad Chi Omega is standing up for it's chapter which followed procedures and self reported this activity. Unfortunate.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
The latest...

http://knightnews.com/2014/05/chi-om...types=og.likes
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunate Truths

The actions of a few impact all. As Greek Life Organizations we are responsible and held accountable for EVERY member in our chapter. Consequences are always far more extensive than what they initially may seem.