GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,426
2 members and 1,424 guests
FSUZeta, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
things got even stranger when I got home and did a more thorough check. Went through all the fuses, checked the battery connections, and nothing was amiss. I then got intermittent abilities that required battery power, and a whining clicking noise when the key was in the "on" position. The brake lights wouldn't work every time I pressed the pedal, but the radio and heater/fan worked every time. Since it was dead in the garage and I have a steep driveway I wanted to get the car out to the street, and getting it out of park took an hour.

I had it towed to Subaru today and I need a new battery, but the battery isn't dead. It tests at 12v but has 0 cranking power, and I'm getting the connectors and such to the battery replaced as well. My oil change was due the 23rd so I got that done as well, though I'm well under 3,000 miles. They do a wash and interior vacuum so going to the dealer is well worth it.
Sounds exactly like what happened to my car not too long ago. I'd never had the battery replaced. 5 year old car = 5 year old battery. My husband took the car in (I love my husband ), and sure enough, all it needed was a new battery. It's purring like a kitten now
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Sounds exactly like what happened to my car not too long ago. I'd never had the battery replaced. 5 year old car = 5 year old battery. My husband took the car in (I love my husband ), and sure enough, all it needed was a new battery. It's purring like a kitten now
My car is a 1999 that has lived in some rough places, so it definitely isn't the first battery. The cranking charge was at 0, and since we're still getting snow and day and night time freezing temps my battery depleted faster than usual. The connections from the battery terminals are what needed replacement more than just a battery as they were not in the best shape and contributed to lack of charge and drain. I keep battery terminal cleaner in the car but it needs to be rinsed off with water and that can be a problem when it is super cold. Diet soda can remove corrosive build up in a pinch and one could use regular, but diet doesn't get sticky.

Considering my car sat in my garage for most of summer and fall 2010, as well as spring 2011, I got a lot more life out of it than expected. The one from Subaru isn't that much more expensive than Costco or Walmart and since the Subaru dealer is closer to me now, and the two other places I'll be likely living in the next five years, it is a good value. The new battery has a better warranty than the last one, so I'm rather pleased.

When I checked the fuses one was actually not pushed in all the way, and though my car is built to hold spare fuses, they are in the second fuse box under the hood. I think I'll spend the couple of dollars and buy a box to keep in my car so I'll not need to get under the hood if I don't have to.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I was without a kitchen for a few months during a renovation, but I cannot imaging being a bathroom down. Not sure I would handle that well.
It has been quite trying, especially since my kids aren't sleeping here through this. The contractor ensures that I have a working commode every night. I wash my hair in the kitchen sink every morning. I go to the gym for showers. However, my usual treatment for neck/back tension is a shower, no matter the time of day. I'm afraid to do anything that might make me sweat or get dirty since I can't shower here at home. It's really getting on my nerves.

Which leads me to my vent. We are on week 3 of the bathroom remodel. The contractor told me last Monday that he would start tiling on Wednesday. On Wednesday, he said he would be tiling by Friday. There are no tiles up yet, in the shower or on the floor. Today he said "You leave on Saturday?" I said "Yes" and he said he would start tiling the tub/shower area tomorrow but he was just going to wait to do the floor until I'm gone because it is best not to walk on it the day it is laid. It makes sense, but this project was supposed to be done before I left. He guaranteed it will be completely done when I get back. However, I'll still have to put everything away in there! I get back late Sunday night and have to work Monday. I'm tired of my house being torn up. I'm tired of construction dust. And now, apparently, my vacuum is dead too.

At least on the cruise I can shower as often as I want!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It has been quite trying, especially since my kids aren't sleeping here through this. The contractor ensures that I have a working commode every night. I wash my hair in the kitchen sink every morning. I go to the gym for showers. However, my usual treatment for neck/back tension is a shower, no matter the time of day. I'm afraid to do anything that might make me sweat or get dirty since I can't shower here at home. It's really getting on my nerves.

Which leads me to my vent. We are on week 3 of the bathroom remodel. The contractor told me last Monday that he would start tiling on Wednesday. On Wednesday, he said he would be tiling by Friday. There are no tiles up yet, in the shower or on the floor. Today he said "You leave on Saturday?" I said "Yes" and he said he would start tiling the tub/shower area tomorrow but he was just going to wait to do the floor until I'm gone because it is best not to walk on it the day it is laid. It makes sense, but this project was supposed to be done before I left. He guaranteed it will be completely done when I get back. However, I'll still have to put everything away in there! I get back late Sunday night and have to work Monday. I'm tired of my house being torn up. I'm tired of construction dust. And now, apparently, my vacuum is dead too.

At least on the cruise I can shower as often as I want!
Oh no, that is unacceptable for a bathroom remodel. It shouldn't take more than 3 days to redo a bathroom.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Clint Bowyer is an idiot!
Romans 1:16
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Oh no, that is unacceptable for a bathroom remodel. It shouldn't take more than 3 days to redo a bathroom.
Well, actually... 2-3 weeks is reasonable. He gutted it to the studs, replaced sub floor, re-did the plumbing to switch the tub and toilet, replaced a twisted stud, set the tub, re-did the electrical wiring to add lights, got the fan box in, put the cement board up/down (floor and tub area), put the drywall up (ceiling and walls), and mudded dry wall. It takes 3 days just to tile because you have a day of laying tile, have to let it dry for 24 hours before grouting, then let that dry for 24 hours before sealing. Once it has been tiled and painted, the rest should be really fast... install new toilet, door, vanity, medicine cabinet, light fixtures, towel bar, tub doors, mirror.. that can all be done in a day or so. 3 days would be ok if you weren't tiling, replacing sub floor and replacing all the dry wall.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

My heart is breaking this morning. Just got word of a colleague's three year old whose cancer has spread beyond the reach of chemo and radiation.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

About 45 minutes ago, I thought I was going to die. One of my LVTs gave me a "Ghost Pepper" (never heard of it until now) because last week, I told her that hot foods don't really bother me. I can eat jalapeno peppers by themselves. They are so yummy.

But this "Ghost Pepper" thingie, made me cry. Seriously, I literally cried, that's how hot it was. They had to ask me if I was okay several times. Never again will I eat anything like that. Now they're laughing at me and they haven't stopped. I am so glad I can go home shortly. Thank God for a slow surgery day.

I felt like this video...no kidding.
http://youtu.be/tzludu3CSaA
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Your co-workers are assholes lol

Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well that's her own fault. Jalapenos really aren't that spicy.

((That was almost an unfortunate typo)).
Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
^^ Your co-workers are assholes lol
lol
I know, tell me about it. But I brought it on myself. Last week they saw me eating jalapeno peppers out of the jar, and one of my LVTs said that she can't see how I can eat them. I told her that I can eat anything spicy, and that spicy food doesn't bother me. Then she goes "Anything?" I was like "Yep". Then she goes "Okay, I'll bring something in for you to try". She brought it in today. First I smelled it, then when I ate it, it took a few seconds before it got hot, but it just kept getting worse as time went on. It still hurts. It is so painful and intense.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't mind that you invited yourself over to my house. I don't even mind that you invited yourself over when I had other company. I do mind that you told me you were getting a hotel and then showed up at my house, and then were miffed when I didn't have the other bed made up for you the instant you were ready to sleep. (I might have been faster if I had known you wanted to go to bed at 8:30.) I also wish you would stop telling me about how stressed out my SIL is because she has to take her toddler to daycare and she has to work (LilHQ is also a toddler, and I also work.)

You are also not allowed to expect me to wait on you hand and foot all weekend and then be upset because I served store-bought cake. (It was Good cake.)

<end rant>
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Well that's her own fault. Jalapenos really aren't that spicy.

((That was almost an unfortunate typo)).
It depends, they can vary greatly. I've seen some kick my husband's tail, and he puts habañera sauce on everything. It also has to do with body chemistry. What tastes spicy to one person may cause a completely different reaction in another person. I've always thought Taco Bell's Hot Sauce spicier than the Fire Sauce, but other people disagree.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the 'Delete' function now working? Seems a couple of newbies have deleted posts, which I always thought was impossible (for non-mods). Have I been clueless all these years or is this something new?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always been able to delete posts.