GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,070
3 members and 1,067 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib

Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

If I had to guess its a privacy issue. They have no control over what is done with the transcripts afterwards and so they advise not to send them.

The chapters would obviously prefer a letter from a long time friend or a teacher who could answer those questions about activities or AP classes or a problem outside of class but that is not always possible.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

The 90 number for quota is merely a rumor. And if Panhellenic was to give a number to Chapters to use for planning, I'm sure it would be based on the number of Freshman Women pre-registered and the percentage number that usually enrolls between pre-registration and the start of classes. Remember also that the University has access to the grades of registered Freshman, and knows what percentage would likely be given bids.

In spite of the warnings against going into Recruitment with less than a 3.0 GPA, there are always a number that go through anyway. Some believe they are the exception, and some are doing pre-work for going through their Sophomore year.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

number of recs and or letters of support

How many recs and are letters of support are recommended for chapters at Ole Miss?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoolemiss View Post
How many recs and are letters of support are recommended for chapters at Ole Miss?
2 minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Ole Miss Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment 2013

This is a competitive recruitment campus and Letters of Reference and Recommendations should be considered to be necessary. Some folks suggest two recs per Chapter as a minimum.

Concise advice on how to obtain recommendations:
http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.p...d=15&Itemid=32
(The advice comes from the Unversity of Alabama but applies to any school.)

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

If 2 is the minimum, what number would you recommend they actually send? I mean, is 15 too many? It would be more clear if the answer was 2 or 3, or 2 minimum, but 4 is better and 6 is too many.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
The importance of Letters of Reference, Recommendations, et cetera, is twofold: 1) to check a box that the PNM has one; and 2) to let the chapter know about the PNM. The amount of PNM support a rec/ref provides is dependent on the quality of the rec/ref itself, and therefore dependent on the writer and the PNM. If it's bland or pro forma it will just fulfill that box check requirement.

The crux of the matter comes when the PNM seems attractive to the chapter and the chapter now wants to know more about her. If she is already known to the chapter then the pro forma rec/ref is fine. If she is not well known, or perhaps unknown, then a informational ref/rec is needed. The unknown/less well known PNM needs the additional boost to go beyond the chapters mere interest. Chapters use all information received to study the PNM, they use that information in recruitment to connect with her, and if she is a rush crush to promote her within the chapter.

It is old school to look at the number of ref/recs or letters of support when evaluating an PNM. I cannot speak to how old school any of the chapters here at Ole Miss are as that is clearly a membership selection area. Since recruitment gifts of food and flowers in support of a PNM are no longer permitted, the extra letters and rec/refs may now seem the only avenue available. I cannot know how additional letters and rec/refs would be received at the various chapters at Ole Miss, but I think that I would make certain that there was quality over quantity in any rec/ref, resume', or materials sent in on one of my daughters.
The answer you seek.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I was an AXO at Georgia Tech, and I was clueless about how involved all this rush preparation is and evidently I stumbled through it somehow. Now as my daughter is going to Ole Miss, I realize I am woefully unprepared to assist her.

I have read all the previous year’s information about Ole Miss as well as numerous other postings in general, but I have some stupid questions about the recommendations that I haven’t been able to figure out.

Initially I assumed a recommendation letter was just that – a letter typed on a sheet of paper and written to describe attributes of the PNM. Pretty much like this description on how to write a rec:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
First, I like to start my letters with a sentence stating that I am pleased to recommend NAME, a YEAR IN SCHOOL MAJOR from HOMETOWN and (something outstanding about them; e.g., varsity cheerleader, student council president, regional president of NHS, etc.) for membership in the sorority. Second, I point out what makes her a scholar: list GPA, and any scholarships or academic honors. Third, I talk about leadership/athletics/activities, including any offices held and awards (this is a great place to suggest chapter office positions for which the PNM might be suited based on your knowledge of her and her experiences). Fourth, I'll talk about community service and involvement. Fifth, I'll mention that she's prepared to handle the financial responsibilities of membership and how she'll be paying for dues (parents, scholarship, etc.). Sixth, I'll talk about how I know her and what I know of her personality that would make her a good sister. In closing, I'll wish the chapter a wonderful recruitment and hope they enjoy meeting this special PNM.
But as I discussed the recommendation process with a friend of mine who has written recommendations, she offered to show me a package she received from a PNM to show me what we needed to do when requesting a rec. She protected the person’s personal information, but showed me the basic documents the PNM provided her, and I was surprised to see a 3 page blank sorority recommendation form the PNM included.

While I can appreciate the form provides a consistent format for the sorority to evaluate, it seems the letter would be more personal from someone who really knows the candidate. Yet I followed a link in one of the posts to the University of Alabama guidelines for recommendations, which describes such a letter as ‘letter of support’ and is flatly discouraged.

So will all the recommendations actually be each sorority’s standard form rather than real letters?

What if someone actually sends a letter? My mom’s very close friend is 90 years old, attended UGA, has been active in her sorority her entire life, but I can’t imagine her filling out a form rather than writing a real letter. I know she would write a beautiful recommendation for my daughter, and I was glad to have someone from a SEC school, but will her letter be discounted as a ‘letter of support’?

Sorry for these really basic questions. Thanks for all I have learned through all the posts.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolkr View Post
While I can appreciate the form provides a consistent format for the sorority to evaluate, it seems the letter would be more personal from someone who really knows the candidate. Yet I followed a link in one of the posts to the University of Alabama guidelines for recommendations, which describes such a letter as ‘letter of support’ and is flatly discouraged.

So will all the recommendations actually be each sorority’s standard form rather than real letters?

What if someone actually sends a letter? My mom’s very close friend is 90 years old, attended UGA, has been active in her sorority her entire life, but I can’t imagine her filling out a form rather than writing a real letter. I know she would write a beautiful recommendation for my daughter, and I was glad to have someone from a SEC school, but will her letter be discounted as a ‘letter of support’?

Sorry for these really basic questions. Thanks for all I have learned through all the posts.
Each organization uses a different form. From the ones I've seen (not all are available to the public) they all allow for comments. Some have more room including an entire page, others have smaller spaces. Your mother's friend may belong to sorority that does things in a certain way. However, we can't tell you how things work without knowing which organization you are talking about. Also, some organizations are private about their letters, for whatever reason. This may be because it is part of membership selection, which is private information. I would suggest talking to your friend's mother. If she is still active she will know her organization's policy and what to do or may be able to find out what is needed.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was an AXO at Georgia Tech, and I was clueless about how involved all this rush preparation is and evidently I stumbled through it somehow. Now as my daughter is going to Ole Miss, I realize I am woefully unprepared to assist her.

I have read all the previous year’s information about Ole Miss as well as numerous other postings in general, but I have some stupid questions about the recommendations that I haven’t been able to figure out.

Initially I assumed a recommendation letter was just that – a letter typed on a sheet of paper and written to describe attributes of the PNM. Pretty much like this description on how to write a rec:

But as I discussed the recommendation process with a friend of mine who has written recommendations, she offered to show me a package she received from a PNM to show me what we needed to do when requesting a rec. She protected the person’s personal information, but showed me the basic documents the PNM provided her, and I was surprised to see a 3 page blank sorority recommendation form the PNM included.

Sometimes the terminology is overwhelming. What used to be universally called "recommendations" or "recs" may also be called "letters of reference" or "references." If one recommendation (reference) has been sent in then other alumnae may send in notes of letters of support. Recently I have learned from a DG, here on GC, that even the non-form letters of support are treated like recs/refs. When I am sending in a letter of reference on a PNM to Theta, I always include a letter in addition to the official letter of reference form, in case someone wants to read my narrative about the PNM. You never know if your PNM might become a star to the Chapter she is rushing.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-20-2013, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The PNM doesn't include the blank recommendation form in the resume packet -- the alum will obtain and print the rec form for completion (or complete and submit online). But do prepare a pretty resume packet to give to rec writers.

Quote:
While I can appreciate the form provides a consistent format for the sorority to evaluate, it seems the letter would be more personal from someone who really knows the candidate.
Seems like that to me too -- I'm not sure why the Bama site discourages these letters. Alums send them anyway and also sometimes include these along with the rec forms.

Quote:
Surely a chapter wouldn't discount a beautifully written letter from a 90-year-old loyal alum -- that would be something special. I say she should send whatever she feels is appropriate (letter and/or rec). Meanwhile, secure another rec to the same chapter that (you are reasonably sure) will be completed with the GLO's recommendation form.

Best of luck to your daughter!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
The PNM doesn't include the blank recommendation form in the resume packet -- the alum will obtain and print the rec form for completion (or complete and submit online). But do prepare a pretty resume packet to give to rec writers.

Seems like that to me too -- I'm not sure why the Bama site discourages these letters. Alums send them anyway and also sometimes include these along with the rec forms.

Surely a chapter wouldn't discount a beautifully written letter from a 90-year-old loyal alum -- that would be something special. I say she should send whatever she feels is appropriate (letter and/or rec). Meanwhile, secure another rec to the same chapter that (you are reasonably sure) will be completed with the GLO's recommendation form.

Best of luck to your daughter!
Hart you always give such good advice.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Without divulging private MS information, having it on the standard form makes it easier to check for various information as everything will be in the same place on each piece of paper. When several people on the recruitment team are having to look at the forms and there are 1000 of them, it really helps to have it consistent. We do accept the letters though. Since most recs will be on the form, it's not that difficult to read thru a few letters to supplement the information. But please don't discount the older alum using the form. I know many in their 80's who do because "that's the way it's done!" Precious little ladies! Hope I live to be one of them.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Titchou!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

While I actually have no idea the reason behond Panhellenic not wanting transcripts etc., I will share something I have actually seen happen more than once.

A PNM's rec transcript not matching the one in the admissions office.
There are some amazing editing tools out there that can change a few grades to make the gpa survive the sorority minimum.
I'm sure someone has heard of this happening before, and it caused a lot of confusion. I'm not guessing that's what happened either, the pnms confirmed it. My job is very creative and I have all the tools to do this in about 5 minutes. Scan it, open it in InDesign 6, clone out the grade and then font match to input the new grade etc. Scary easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Oh, this has set me off!

Where does the campus Panhellenic get off telling the girls what to send to the local Alumnae Panhellenics? I write dozens of recs each year, and am VERY uncomfortable writing a rec without a transcript. You have mentioned some of my reasons, but I also like to see the quality of classes that the PNM has taken and the types of electives. However, mostly I want a school confirmation on their academic ability. I have seen some very generous "roundings" of GPA. I fully understand that the chapters can sniff this out with the Panhellenic transcript but if I am signing my name to a rec then I want to confirm that what I am telling the chapters is true.

I find it very odd, not to mention inappropriate, for a campus Panhellenic to tell the girls not to send the transcripts to the APH's and to their rec writers. If the individual chapters do not want me to pass along the transcript, then I won't. But please don't interfere with the information available to me through the APH.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I've viewed every type of "rec" you can imagine as a past chapter advisor. The handwritten letters from a 90-year old alumna are by far the best, those are special in my opinion. The "rec" form that each NPC group provides for alumnae to use is the best (I think). Some have online ones now. I know this year I have asked anyone who needs a rec to send me their information in "electronic format". I did send a typed rec to Alpha Phi when they were colonizing at Alabama. A young lady I knew was going through and she didn’t know any Alpha Phi alumnae and none in her area. So I typed it as a fellow NPC alumna. I know every now and then those can appear.

As far as why the Panhellenic doesn't want their transcripts...I am not sure why they don’t want them. I have heard about PNMs doctoring up their transcripts. Personally, I’m not sure why University Panhellenics don’t check grades when they register using ICS or other recruitment database tools. But I’m sure that’s because of FERPA and other laws and plus that would probably be a headache at larger schools where you have 1000+ PNMs going through recruitment. So just my two cents