GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,561
0 members and 1,561 guests
No Members online

Old 10-21-2003, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

GLO that just can't get in trouble

We have a fraternity on campus that just doesn't get in trouble, or at least disciplined. The Greek advisor here is a member of the fraternity though not from this school. They do stupid stuff all the time, and recently got selling alcohol at a party (a big no-no). Their punishment, if any, hasn't been handed down yet. I don't expect it to be what it should. Another got kicked off a couple of years ago when a pledge got alcohol poisoning. I think they called it hazing. This group now is constantly causing trouble or in trouble yet they always manage to get off with just a slap on the wrist. Does anyone else have a similar situation at their school? Has your IFC done anything about it? If so what?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-21-2003, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope nobody gets in trouble.

Why don't we wait to see what the punishment is (for selling) since it hasn't been announced yet?

You probably know little about what will happen.

It's rather unfraternal to wish some other chapter gets into trouble.

If you have specific recent examples of unequal punishments for similar things, let's hear them.

I hope nobody gets in trouble.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Really makes the total Greek Community look good dont they!

I will not ask which one, but will check the Un. Site and decipher it myself! Even though I may have an idea.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Other things:

Alcohol during rush. Supposed to = no pledge class. Their punishment $250 fine.

They also like to throw empty bottles into our parking lot. They got put on probation during the summer for that. The summer???

They stole and broke our letters. They did agree to and carried out paying for the materials to make new ones.

As far as unequal punishment goes... I don't know of any others that have done anything (or at least got caught doing) to get in trouble lately. We had a different one throw bottles of paint against our house. The 4 of them that did it got suspended and kicked out of their GLO. I guess this is just one of those things that almost directly involves me, so when stuff like that happens I am intrigued by it.

I will admit I may not know all the facts etc.... but when you hear the same story from everyone... those that were at the party... those that weren't... those in different GLO... I'm not wishing trouble or anything on them. I like some of their guys. I just think if they could get one good stiff punishment they may calm down, and perhaps we could start getting along.

The party where they were selling alcohol was a joint function with one of the traditionally black GLO. There was also a fight between that traditionally black and another. Girls were getting hit as well.

I'm not wishing for them to get kicked off or anything. I just wish we didn't have to be paranoid about stuff.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:16 PM

One chapter who will ofcourse remain nameless, at my old school got in trouble for raping 4 girls in their house.........their punishment was having a "house mom/director" move in 4 days a week........if i was a woman i surely wouldnt move into a house where they were accused of rape.........

then at the same school more recently, but a different chapter, they too got in trouble for date raping in their house, one brother even admitted to it, while the rest have denied it. They are also in trouble for drugs of the non-date raping kind. I doubt seriously they will get in trouble, because the person who donated millions to build the new library, also donated a couple million to build this chapter's house because he is a member, and because he gives lots of money to the university, i just dont see anything happening to this chapter either. ashame.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it strange that one chapter pulls all these ridiculous and sometimes dangerous shenanigans can get away with little or no punishment while others get into deep s*** trouble for the same things. I wonder what causes this to happen. Is this phenomenom (sp?) too common in other schools?

ArkStateSig331, do you think there is a double standard going on in your campus? Has any IFC chapter there spoken with IFC and/or Greek Life/Affairs officer about this situation? If not, someone should talk to them about it.

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sigep533 Send a message via AIM to sigep533 Send a message via Yahoo to sigep533
I actually find this very interesting because the sig ep chapter at your school was forced to close....b/c of certain illegal prodcedures...of sorts..
Old 10-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

If they're a national organization, you might try emailing their HQ that these risky behaviors are taking place and how the school is doing nothing about it. Were they to be made aware they would almost certainly take action.

It's unfair to those of us that follow the rules and act with honor and decency to have these individuals spoil our name. The average non-greek on campus can't tell the difference between one fraternity or another typically, therefore, you are lumped into the same boat.

If your own school refuses to remove this cancer, perhaps their own national office would oblige you? Most HQ's don't want groups like this one representing them either.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-22-2003, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SplitzSTG Send a message via Yahoo to SplitzSTG
ArkSig

I know a lot of times, real punishments are kept to the chapter that recieved it.

The one glaring infraction is the theft and destruction of letters. Our Greek community here at YSU has an understanding that Letters are totally off limits. We pull some shennanigans from time to time as well. Last spring one of our brothers took the remote and house phone from the Zeta's here. They're pretty much our sister chapter here, and it was funny for us. They thought that they had just lost them. We gave them back when t stopped being funny (about a month and a half later). But one thing you never mess with is a chapter's letters.

This sounds like instead of letting the school handle this, your IFC should step in and levy sanctions against the chapter. Any alum worth anything would not want his chapter's reputation dragged through the dirt like this. If the school wont do anything because of an endowment made for a library, then it's time for your greek community to start policing itself.

Stop whining about what the school won't do, and start investigating what IFC CAN do.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, like I said, I'm not trying to point fingers and get others in trouble. I know when the glass bottle thing was big (it's slowed down now, but not stopped) we got them on video. Also, we took a garbage bag full of glass that we swept from the parking lot and plopped it down on the greek advisors desk.

I mean sure we have disputes and all with most of the other GLOs, but it's gotten to where almost all the other GLOs here seem to despise this group. I'm all for everyone getting along, but it just doesn't seem likely.

As far as SigEps go that was just a little before me. Their house was right behind ours. We probably would have gotten to move into it, had what happened not happened. Still sucks to see that happen to a group.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Splitz,

I'm not whining I'm just curious to see if anyone else has somthing like this at their school.

As for IFC, the head of IFC J Board is in this particular GLO. But, the topic has been discussed, and things calm down for a while. They always escalate though.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Re: GLO that just can't get in trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by ArkStateSig331
We have a fraternity on campus that just doesn't get in trouble, or at least disciplined. The Greek advisor here is a member of the fraternity though not from this school. They do stupid stuff all the time, and recently got selling alcohol at a party (a big no-no). Their punishment, if any, hasn't been handed down yet. I don't expect it to be what it should. Another got kicked off a couple of years ago when a pledge got alcohol poisoning. I think they called it hazing. This group now is constantly causing trouble or in trouble yet they always manage to get off with just a slap on the wrist. Does anyone else have a similar situation at their school? Has your IFC done anything about it? If so what?
I go to ASU as well! Oh, and you forgot to mention how many girls they have date raped, or at least tried to. Just a week or so ago one of the sorority's pledges had a roofie slipped into her drink there (I'm friends with the girl...I *know* she's not lying).

Anyhoo folks. ArkStateSig331 is not kidding. This group does nothing but cause trouble. I wish they could get more than a slap on the wrist.

PS--ArkStateSig331, I have PMd you!