GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,523
2 members and 2,521 guests
JayhawkAOII, Titchou

Old 04-29-2005, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Could this possibly be real?

Take a look at Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...972147074&rd=1

"This is an ORIGINAL FOUNDING DOCUMENT of 1893 for the Theta Chi national fraternal organization, which currently has thousands of members even today.

The frame is original and most importantly, the individual signatures of the nine founders are perfectly legible.

The original gold, hand incripted medallion is also still attached with the original ribbon.

Yet another prominent feature of the Charter is the elaborate lithographs with the creator's signature present.

This is THE most important document the Theta Chi Fraternity must value and cherish.

I acquired this framed document over ten years ago when I purchased a building in Oakland, CA.

The paper of the Charter is torn in various places however, these tears do not interfere with the legibility what so ever and can easily be remedied.

Shipping: will be completed by Fedex, buyers request.

Payment: I require prepayment for the Charter before shipping and will not accept refunds. To ensure the buyers satisfaction, I suggest that the buyer view the document prior to purchase. If the buyer is not located in the Northern California area, I can arrange a meeting with a member of the local Theta Chi fraternity for a viewing and conference call with the buyer."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claims to be an original Theta Chi charter. I can see that it is not, but could it possibly be some kind of merger of Theta Chi with another organization? She's got a load of nerve, with that $30,000 opening bid. SHEESH
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

cough:bull$*!T:cough

An original founding document of a national organization is far more likely to be contained in either vault or a safe deposit box belonging to the organization in question. An add like this is highly suspicious, in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:07 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by SAEalumnus
cough:bull$*!T:cough

An original founding document of a national organization is far more likely to be contained in either vault or a safe deposit box belonging to the organization in question. An add like this is highly suspicious, in my opinion.
That's not always true though.

Many of us might recall about a month or two ago when an original Tri Delta founding document (I believe it was the Constitution?) found its way onto eBay. Their EO was notified, and while it's hard to determine its true authenticity just by online photos, whenever these valued items end up for auction, it's best to just alert your EO and have an official archivist take a look at it and have them determine what to do next.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

They lowered the starting bid to 20K

Anyone who would even THINK of buying something that expensive from a brand new ebay user deserves to lose their 20K.

I don't see how a random Theta Chi alumnus could be of any help in determining if it was what it was stated to be, unless that particular alumnus has training in dating documents and all that jazz
Old 04-29-2005, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

you know what this sounds like....
south end of the northbound toro
Old 04-29-2005, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

He's also revised it to say it's the founding charter for a local CHAPTER. I think he'd been trying to trick people into thinking it was for the national org.
I understand it's a piece of history, but unless there's some alumnus from that chapter with more money than he knows what to do with, no one in their right mind is going to pay 20K for that
Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
He's also revised it to say it's the founding charter for a local CHAPTER. I think he'd been trying to trick people into thinking it was for the national org.
I understand it's a piece of history, but unless there's some alumnus from that chapter with more money than he knows what to do with, no one in their right mind is going to pay 20K for that
He very well may not know what he has. Heck, I probably couldn't tell you the difference between the founding charter for the original chapter of Theta Chi, and the founding charter (or whatever other "important" document) for a local chapter of it.

Of course, in spending $20,000, I might be able to research that pretty adequately.

This guy expecting to get paid that huge sum is a little silly. Even if it were a historical document, I'd hope that Theta Chi would have more important things to with $20,000 than that.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Would Theta Chi be able to report it as missing or stolen property? I mean, obviously, you can't just sell anyone's stuff.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 04-29-2005, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

How odd. If you look at the two pictures located on the right middle row and the bottom row, the writing makes reference to NIC fraternity Kappa Delta Phi.

right middle row picture's wording
Quote:
Know all Men by
THESE PRESENTS:
That the Theta
Chi Fraternity has
this day January 16th
1893 begh (?) united in the
bottom row picture's wording
Quote:
bonds of KDF for
the promotion of true
friendship to en-
courage intellectual ex-
cellency
And if you notice the top of the "crest" it looks like the the Greek letters KDF. Also, the crest doesn't look anything like Theta Chi's at all.

Perhaps this was a local called Theta Chi that joined Kappa Delta Phi? Or maybe it's just a coincidence and KDF has some other meaning.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
crest dissonance

Notice the difference in the crests.

$20K...only in their wildest and wettest dreams......
Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
How odd. If you look at the two pictures located on the right middle row and the bottom row, the writing makes reference to NIC fraternity Kappa Delta Phi.
Since the Kappa Delta Phi that you reference (I checked that, too!) was not founded until April 1900, it could not possibly be related to this document which claims to be from 1893.

Clearly this seller does not have a clue what they have and they haven't done the research to determine its authenticity or significance. I don't really think it has much historic value, either. I am thrilled that there is not a single bid!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thetalady
Since the Kappa Delta Phi that you reference (I checked that, too!) was not founded until April 1900, it could not possibly be related to this document which claims to be from 1893.
Good catch. Maybe KDF has some sort of meaning to Theta Chi.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
And it hasn't aged a day! Amazing!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

$15,000 Bible

This is this person's other auction (which still has the pmt instructions for the Theta Chi Charter)...and also, she offers no shipping insurance...hell, I'd be putting shipping insurance on the check as well as the item if I was going to shell out $15/$20 thousand. Not that it matters because she's not going to find someone eccentric enough to spend that kind of money. Even for a "gold bible". Can you even put gold on a page?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:03 PM

According to Theta Chi's website their first chapter in CA was at Berkely, founded in 1913. Unless there was a local called KDPhi that was around for 20 years and then went to OX, or vice versa...