GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,565
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, arbertosusasd45
» Online Users: 1,833
3 members and 1,830 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034, Xidelt

Old 07-30-2003, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Question small school expectations?

This fall I will be going through Formal Recruitment. Both of my Greek parents have remained heavily involved with their respective organizations, and shown me the benefits of Greek life my entire 18 years. Needless to say, I'm really excited, but also nervous because I know what I'd miss out on if I *don't* get a bid!
I will be attending my parents alma mater, a small (1200 students), Midwestern school with 4 NPC sororities; the Greek system is strong, but I don't know how competitive the Recruitment will be. Mom's told me about the process as much as she can, but it was 37 years ago when she rushed. Recruitment starts Sept. 1, and Bid Day is Sept. 6, but I have no idea how many invitational rounds there will be, and won't receive any other info. until I move in.
I'm expecting my Recruitment to be less intense than that at a Large, Southern school...but I don't know what else to expect? I'd really appreciate any advice/stories about small school Greeks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2003, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

How exciting!! I think it is great that you are coming into college life with plenty of good impressions about Greek Life. Your parents deserve pats on their backs for showing that sisterhood/brotherhood is for life.

I rushed at a small school, but I didn't pledge there (long story). Anyway, there were only four NPC sororities at my school, but Rush was still a very dynamic time. All of sororities put balloons on every sister's dorm window, so the whole campus was filled with Greek colors! Letters were everywhere! It was hard not to get into the excitement of the week. The recruitment process was pretty competitive, but nothing like what I've read about big Southern schools!! However, with so few sororities, it was absolutely possible to cut yourself out of Rush altogether. I don't say that to scare you; I just want to advise you to keep a VERY open mind. If you are in the position to cut houses, do what is right in your heart, not what is right in your circle of friends. If you stay true to yourself, you will find your new home

Good luck!!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 07-30-2003, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Ally-
It's terrific that you have had such wonderful Greek influences in your life!My own experience is that small school recruitment is competitive in that sororities all want the same couple girls. Usually, there is a home for all the PNMs that go through according to the numbers. My best advice would be to keep an open mind. On a small campus, stereotypes are very prevalent, so go through recruitment and judge for yourself. Also, it doesn't hurt that you are a legacy! Up North & especially at small schools, we don't see a lot of you! Good luck and keep posting to let us know how everything goes!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Erica! I always carry an open mind and a good attitude. Since I'm attending an out-of-state school, I don't have to worry about conflicts between following my hearts or my friends--- Recruitment's the first week of school so everyone will still be brand new! I'm very excited, but don't want to be over/under prepared!

~*~Ally~*~
Old 07-30-2003, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't like to take anything for granted. So I will ask...
Did your mother write a rec? And do you have recs for the other three sororities?
Being that your mother has stayed active, I am sure this was taken care of.
Also can you tell us what school you are rushing at? WE LOVE RUSH STORIES!!!
I am sure you will be fine, and will find your home. Greek life is great. I understand you are nervous, but that is a good thing. It means you understand what you are going through. Trust me there are going to be some girls completely unprepared for rush, they will think it is just like joining any other club in high school. And you will benefit from knowing what to expect. It sounds like you are ready, and won't have any problems.
Please remember to write and let us know what happens!
Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel kind of funny posting what school I'll be rushing at, because there's NO other students from my home state attending the school, and I'd just feel kinda weird if someone knew who I was from my GC posts. But, I will post that after Recruitment! I will be meeting the lovely ladies of Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Zeta, and Zeta Tau Alpha.
Mom's an Alpha Gam, and yes, she is taking care of the LIF and the Rec. I also know several other Alpha Gam's that would be more than happy to write a rec, but I don't want Rec overkill.
No Rec's for the other sororities...I know alum's for 2 of the other chapters, but haven't seen them since my Junior high days. Do you think they will be crucial?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Advice from a small school.

Your school sounds a lot like mine-- same size, small midwestern college-- except that we have deferred recruitment, 3 NPC sororities, and a weak Greek system.

I can only repeat, keep an open mind. Stereotypes reign on small campuses, and the PNMs job is to look through all that.

Especially since it's fall recruitment, don't be bent on staying with your buddies, 'cuz there's still plenty of time to make new friends. I have really close friends in all three chapters at my school, which is facilitated by the fact that the school is so small.

Recs are nice if you can get them, especially if the groups aren't used to getting them, because they make you really stand out.

As for the location, just off the top of my head, you could be going to Carroll College in Wisconsin, which has Alpha Gam, AXiD, DZ, and ChiO, or you could be going to Franklin College in Indiana, which has DG, Tri-Delta, Zeta, and PiPhi.

ETA: Ok, I'm a dorkus, I must have posted at the same time as you. I totally understand your wanting to keep quiet about where you're going, so it's a good thing I was wrong!

Last edited by KappaKittyCat; 07-31-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

that is wild. a college only having 1200 students? that is like high school. does everyone know everyone else? it seems so impersonal. also with 4 sororities? wow!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

keep your heart open, dress to impress and be ready to have some fun.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXPGoBot
Question

Just a question, but and I don't mean to give anyone a false sense of assurance or anything. But isn't it usually tradional for Legacies to automatically be given a bid? I know at my school, for the few cases of it that we hear of, a bid is always given out, even if the student isn't really interested in pledging.

Is this just an oddity, or does anyone know of it working that way on other campuses?

Regardless, best of luck to you, Ally.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

No- Legacies are not automatically given a bid-
And this is for all NPC groups. For AGD They are given at least a second opportunity before we can release them, and then we must contact the person they are a legacy from and let them know we are releasing them. I was VPR at one time for my chapter of AGD and it was no fun when we decided to release a young woman from our chapter that was a legacy- but there are very valid reasons for it.

THat being said, I am sure that someone with as much knowledge and background of greek life as yourself, AllyPNM, will have no problem finding a home for yourself. If you have any questions about recruitment, or AGD- just PM me- I can't wait to hear your story!!!
Good Luck!
Sarah

Facebook
Old 07-31-2003, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AllyPNM
I feel kind of funny posting what school I'll be rushing at, because there's NO other students from my home state attending the school, and I'd just feel kinda weird if someone knew who I was from my GC posts. But, I will post that after Recruitment! I will be meeting the lovely ladies of Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Zeta, and Zeta Tau Alpha.
Mom's an Alpha Gam, and yes, she is taking care of the LIF and the Rec. I also know several other Alpha Gam's that would be more than happy to write a rec, but I don't want Rec overkill.
No Rec's for the other sororities...I know alum's for 2 of the other chapters, but haven't seen them since my Junior high days. Do you think they will be crucial?
Yes, Zeta requires that a rec be on file before pref; however, that can come from the advisory board if there is not a voluntary rec. Good luck! Follow your heart and you will end up where you belong.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck!
This is obvious but we deal w/it every year. Don't make snap judgements about the sororities, and if you do, don't talk about them. I know it is hard but keep those thoughts to yourself because small schools the gossip is rampant. We deal every year with a girl saying she is gonna join us or Theta Pi Gamma, and then the house is like..um...no and she then chooses to try the other house, but the second already heard her talking shit, and that is hard to make up and explain. (we do only COB though...with defered).

Good Luck! You'll have tons of fun and you're very lucky that you're going to a small school w/ a strong system that is sooooo hard to find! Beloit struggles like no other
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smiley21
that is wild. a college only having 1200 students? that is like high school. does everyone know everyone else? it seems so impersonal. also with 4 sororities? wow!
I graduated from a school with fewer than 1100 students. I loved it!! Whenever I talk to kids looking into colleges, I highly recommend the small school setting. It was fantastic! But it is impossible to hide

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 07-31-2003, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I also go to a pretty small school (just a few hundred more people than my high school) and I LOVE it! I don't quite understand what you mean by saying that it is impersonal. In fact, it seems just the opposite-- professors and administrators really get to know their students and take a personal interest in them both in and out of the classroom...

Anyway, good luck with recruitment! I would try to get a rec for each house, if possible. It helps you to stand out a little and it also makes it easier for the girls in the house (speaking as a recruitment chair!!). Aside from that, try to have fun (after all, the recruitment chairs have been planning all summer to make sure that you have a good time!!)