GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,296
1 members and 1,295 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

A lot of interesting cultural practices can be found if you Google Image "initiation."
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
This is the first I've ever heard of heels being a requirement.
We made a point of including Initiation attire in the Alpha Experience Magazine so that it wouldn't be a surprise. Also so the discrepancies would be eliminated.

Dress is not secret in AGD land for the ceremony, regardless of role.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's what you'd see on a new member one her way to Chi Omega initiation on my campus: White dress (not too finicky about it being pristine white), hair/makeup=whatever, and any shoes. But she'd be carrying white socks. What goes on past that point, well...let's just say the giant flock of owls gets released and the mayhem begins

A friend of mine in a different sorority (won't say which) was told to buy nude underwear, which seemed really weird to me at the time, but I guess it isn't that uncommon from reading this thread!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, there was a comment from a fraternity member.
Touche. It should have been I've seen no comment on dress for Fraternity Initiations. (and by Fraternity here, I am not including any of the "Women's Fraternities" in the NPC)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAITrump View Post
I feel I can say what we wore since the Phi Mu Alpha guys got to see us moving about the music building (no houses for sororities in upper state SC). Some of them were apparently there just to see this. As in, they were waiting in the hallways.

Anyways... All white. Dress, slacks, skirts, bathing suit coverup dress things. No specification on formality, but we took it to be an event to look nice for as a class. No make-up. No nail polish. No jewelry other than the MIT pin. Pure white shoes, white socks, or no shoes at all (your choice). Most of us went for no shoes. They collected the shoes we walked over in and any jewelry (including simple studs) before we were allowed to begin. We were warned by random sisters the week prior to our ceremony as to what to wear.

When I explained to my mom that I was looking for a white skirt, she asked why. Apparently she got to wear a mix of the sorority colors for her AOII initiation... all those years ago.
Nah. She probably just doesn't remember. We have worn and always will wear all white.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I feel a tad bit guilty because I so enjoy reading the information on this thread, but do not feel comfortable sharing information. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Nope! I second that. Sharing ritual is a line I definitely do not want to cross even accidentally.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurGirl View Post
Nope! I second that. Sharing ritual is a line I definitely do not want to cross even accidentally.
See my post #24 on page 2.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Sailor outfits.

Oh darn, I've said too much.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Sailor outfits.

Oh darn, I've said too much.
Sssshhhh! KSU, you're giving it away! Just don't mention the skull masks... oh gosh now it's all out there.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

*Off to do a Polyvore initiation outfit project.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

My 2nd daughter was told to wear white underwear. She and her NM sisters concocted some idea that the chapter would be removing their underwear, so they all came to initiation with two pair of underwear on. The whole point of being told to wear white underwear was because those of us in the audience were tired of seeing polka dots, zebra stripes, etc. through the white dresses!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

We were also told to wear the bare minimum of tasteful makeup and jewelry. Shoes were an option, but at least socks were a must because our feet would get cold. Beyond that...

I also have a "ritual" section in my closet- I wear those items only at initiations because I don't want to muss them up.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

The way the question is phrased "what were you told to wear to initiation?" doesn't give much away - maybe they put you in sequined hose, red-and-white bikinis and cowboy hats (like we do) when you arrive at your chapter room, but what you actually are told to show up in is going to be obvious to anyone on campus.

I owned an absolutely hideous cream-colored polyester dress to go to rituals, and hideous white shoes. As 33girl mentioned, pantyhouse were also de rigueur at the time. Yuck. Nothing was said about make up and hair.

I was fairly horrified to see post-ritual pictures posted by my chapter on their website several years ago where one of the girls was wearing skin-tight white pants with a skin-tight white belly shirt. It was so indescribably awful that I wish I still had it available.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwallgreek View Post
My 2nd daughter was told to wear white underwear. She and her NM sisters concocted some idea that the chapter would be removing their underwear, so they all came to initiation with two pair of underwear on. The whole point of being told to wear white underwear was because those of us in the audience were tired of seeing polka dots, zebra stripes, etc. through the white dresses!
Total hijack/rant. This is a total pet peeve of mine. You are supposed to wear skin color bras/underwear underneath white to prevent the world from seeing your undergarments. White totally shows through. I don't understand why people don't get this!!!

(This is not directed at you in any way, rockwallgreek! So many people say this )

/rant
Old 09-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Total hijack/rant. This is a total pet peeve of mine. You are supposed to wear skin color bras/underwear underneath white to prevent the world from seeing your undergarments. White totally shows through. I don't understand why people don't get this!!!

(This is not directed at you in any way, rockwallgreek! So many people say this )

/rant
The thing is, it has to be the color of YOUR skin, not what Bali or Maidenform or whoever call "flesh tone." If you're super duper pale, sometimes you're better off goig with white.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-16-2011 at 01:44 PM.