GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,157
1 members and 2,156 guests
John

Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ChinaBuffet
more spooky stuff

*bumb w/ 2 stories*

I read this a few months back but I cant remember what shool. Anyway, back in the day wen hazing was still prevalent, a chapter of Theta Xi was paddling a new member/new initiate named Duncan and accidently hit him in the head. He died. They put Duncan's paddle in the library to remember him and to remind the brothers of the negative affects of hazing so nothing like this could ever happen again. Well they moved out a few years later and the Phi Gamma Deltas moved in. there were silhouttes on the walls of all the composities and paddles that the theta xi's took with them, so thy painted over them all, but the image of Duncan's padde did not disappear. They apparently have painted over it and wallpapered it several times but the spot where the paddle once was would not go away or fade. I'v heard that they tried to hang photos there and the shadow of the paddle reflects in the glass. Eventually they had to hang a paddle up that was the same size as Duncan's so that it wouldnt be noticable, but supposdly there's a faint image of the greek letters "theta xi" on that paddle. The FIJIs have reported footsteps and moaning in the basement chapter room (where Duncan took his fatal hit) and the library door opening and slamming closed along with books falling off the shelves and brother's items disappearing and being found in the library.

Another story happened to me.
We have suites in the womens' dorm. Last year a disaffliated AOII committed suicide in her room in those dorms. She apparently disaffiliated for finacial reasons and was still very close to her sisters. About 3-4 months later I was up in our suite which is right above the AOII suite watching a show on the campus network which I cant get off campus. I was up there alone and I after I had been there for about 45 minutes I felt like someone had came in and was behind me but b/c our lock is one of those key pads, i would have heard someone unlock it and come in. Our ritual closet which is always locked opened a few inches and then shut really fast like whomever it was knew they werent supposed to be in there. Then it felt like whomever it was left. I think it was the recently decest AOII looking for her suite and got lost. Once she realized she was in the wrong place she left.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Re: more spooky stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by ChinaBuffet

...Our ritual closet which is always locked opened a few inches and then shut really fast like whomever it was knew they werent supposed to be in there. Then it felt like whomever it was left. I think it was the recently decest AOII looking for her suite and got lost. Once she realized she was in the wrong place she left.
So THAT is how copies of rituals get into the wrong hands!!!!

Sorry, this was too spooky NOT make a joke.

Denise

(crawls under desk out of fear)
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa at Washington State University has the most rediculous ghost story ever - so of course, it's really fun to tell.

The story goes, that "back in the day," which usually is alluded to be the 1920s (at the very least, before we moved into our current house, which was 1935).

Anyway, at that time, there was a very pretty girl in our house named Aura. She was dating a boy from Sigma Nu, whose name no one remembers (we'll call him James). James had a roommate, also a Sigma Nu, and the roommate (here called Sam) was absolutely in love with Aura.

One night, James and Aura were out on a date, and were headed back to the Sigma Nu house. Now, being a gentleman, James decided to open the door for Aura and allow her into the doorway first.

That night, Sam was waiting on the stairs for James and Aura to return. His plan was to shoot and kill James, thereby winning Aura for himself. He, however, had not planned on Aura coming in first, and fired at the first person who walked in the door. Aura was fatally shot. As she lay on the floor dying, the Sigma Nu brothers came to investigate the noise.

At this point, James pulled out a gun and shot Sam, killing him instantly.

Not sure what to do, the Sigma Nu brothers picked up Aura, who was still barely alive, and carried her back to the Sigma Kappa house. When they got there and went inside, the brothers called for the sisters to come downstairs to see Aura. No one ever showed up, and to this day no one knows why. Maybe they didn't hear the guys, or maybe they were out that night. Either way, the men of Sigma Nu became so panicked that they set Aura down at the foot of the stairs and left.

Aura died alone. Because of this, if you stand on the landing and look over the railing to the first floor (we have a spiral staircase), and you are alone on the first floor and landing, you might feel someone touch your back. This is Aura, and it's her way of letting you know that because you are a sister of Sigma Kappa, you will never truely be alone.

Of course, we're not supposed to talk about Aura anymore because its "hazing" ever since some sisters changed the endings to say that the feeling on your back is Aura trying to push you over the railing to kill you.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigKapCoug

Of course, we're not supposed to talk about Aura anymore because its "hazing" ever since some sisters changed the endings to say that the feeling on your back is Aura trying to push you over the railing to kill you.
Oh give me a break! Telling ghost stories is considered "hazing" now?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigKapCoug

The story goes, that "back in the day," which usually is alluded to be the 1920s (at the very least, before we moved into our current house, which was 1935).
i just think it's cool that your chapter has been in the same house for 75 years.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
okay, my phone started vibrating on the desk while i was reading that story and i jumped about 3ft outta my seat. lol

shelley j
Old 02-22-2006, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta at Ohio State University has a ghost. Her name is Faye. The story gets passed down to the newest girls during their Initiation Week from the seniors. It says that Faye and her twin sister (name unknown to us) rushed together sometime in the 1970's, just when we added a new wing on the house. Faye was given a bid to Theta and accepted. Her twin sister, did not recieve one from the chapter. The girls' relationship slowly started to suffer because of Faye's twin's jealousy. The next year, when Faye moved into the house, she invited her sister over to hang out and be a "non-official Theta." Well, the girls started fighting and pushed each other, pulled hair, etc. Faye was pushed and apparently fell out the window. We have a cement patio, where she of course landed and died.

Now, she haunts our home. Faye will hold you down in your sleep if you sleep next to a window, to assure that you won't fall out, we guess. She's a nice ghost that protects us because she loves her Theta sisters. But she'll tap on the ritual closet wall. One of my close friend's curling iron, straightner, hair dryer, and every other electrical device she owned was piled in the center of her floor one morning when she woke up. And supposedly if you walk down one of our hallways at night, where there is a mirror at the end of it, you can see her...I don't know about that one because I refuse to do it. LoL.

Just to add, Faye was spotted in a Composite in our basement but mysteriously disappeared! Did Faye keep it for herself? Or did a Frat Boy steal it as a trophy? The world may never know...
Old 02-25-2006, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
At Minnesota, we have lots of old houses (Fraternity & Sorority). Our chapter house is large for our campus (houses about 40 women) because it is actually two houses put together. Our sorority has had our current house for about the last hundred years. Unlike some other chapters, I am fairly sure we have never had a house at a different campus location. For a while, the house next door was Delta Upsilon. At some point (maybe around the 1950's?) a fire nearly destroyed the DU house. The fraternity ended up relocating and we bought their house so we could expand into it. Most people say that there were brothers, and possibly a girlfriend, that died on the third floor of the DU house. This is often taken for fact, but I'm not really sure. It would, however, make sense as to why the fraternity would choose to move, and not rebuild the house.
We have all the regular "ghost" behavior: lights and other electrical appliances- computers, cd players, radios- making strange noises, turning on and off erratically, doors and windows opening and closing on their own, etc. I believe in ghosts, but most of this I still attribute to the fact that we have 2 old houses, now wired together. I put much more weight on stories where people say they have seen/felt ghosts. This is the best story I've heard, and it was from someone I knew, so I actually heard her tell me about it...
It was the morning of the homecoming parade and I'm pretty sure my sister was a New Member at the time. All the New Members walk in the Homecoming parade, and the rest of the house gathers at the paired fraternity to show support and spirit and do cheers in front of the Housefront. My sister was feeling really sick, so someone from her pledge class was nice enough to bring her back to the house and put her to sleep in the townie room, before continuing down the parade route with the other New Members. This means everyone in my house should have either been in the parade or at the fraternity. But my sister is SURE that someone was in the townie room with her. In fact, later at mock awards she wanted to "say thank you to whoever it was stayed with me on Homecoming when I was feeling so sick" and everyone replied that no, no one else had been in the house. But my sister is sure that someone was sitting next to her on the bed, and kind of petting her forehead/hair.
spooky!

TEII
Old 02-25-2006, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

"SMOOTS", measuring in Boston!

A Bridge in Boston was laid out in "Smoots" not inches or feet!

A Pledge at the time was used to measure how far across a bridge it was! It was painted each year by the then "Pledge Class".

The Bridge was destroyed and replaced with a new one. It was decided that "Smoots" would be measured once again and this time it was done in the decking in concrete. Still painted though!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Not Greek related, but...In Tempe, Ariz., there's a haunted restaurant called Casy Moore's. It used to be a private residence, later a boarding house. I did a story on it for one of my journalism classes and the employees told me all about flying dishes, the ghost in the women's restroom, etc. A month later our school paper published a story very similar to mine, except there was a quote about how Casey Moore's would never try to get rid of the ghosts. The bartender had told me that they tried to set them free with a ceremony, but one of the ghosts got stuck in a tree and haunts it now. (The big tree in the front by the sidewalk, for anyone at ASU.)

I thought this was just freaky - The year after I moved out of my dorm, a girl fell from the thrid floor because she was sitting on the protective railing and lost her balance. It was scary to me because one of my closest friends used to perch herself on the railings and I always told her to get down because I was afraid she'd fall. She'd just say, "That would never happen!" There were never any updates on the girl in the media (at least that I knew of) so I think ASU was trying to keep it quiet. I know she survived the fall, but I don't know if she got better.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CatRabbit
but one of the ghosts got stuck in a tree and haunts it now.
LOL.

I've heard of tree frogs but never tree ghosts.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

bump! because i love reading these scary stories!

I do have a question too. When the murders happened in Gainesville, FL in 1990 did they postpone any of the rush parties that year or did it go on as planned? I was reading the link earlier in the thread and it said that many students left school for a while they were so scared, so I was wondering if that interrupted rush. I'm sure the sororities were really on edge at the time (it was August, right before school started).
Old 07-30-2006, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the past 20 pages, but my older brother was a Lamda Chi Alpha at Wabash College and I remember some story about their house being haunted. Anyone on here know about it? I know they had a piece of their old bannister framed because of something to do with it. My brother old me once, but I was only 16 and that's been too long ago to remember details.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis96
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the past 20 pages, but my older brother was a Lamda Chi Alpha at Wabash College and I remember some story about their house being haunted. Anyone on here know about it? I know they had a piece of their old bannister framed because of something to do with it. My brother old me once, but I was only 16 and that's been too long ago to remember details.

Put this on the LXA Thread and see what You get.

I am sure someone can come up with something!

I would be interested to find out My Self!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-31-2006, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Mine's not so much scary as it is gross. Baylor doesn't have sorority houses, and most sorority members move off-campus to nearby apartments after finishing freshman year. A few years ago, there was a man known as "the loose cannon" because he'd wander into girls' apartments and "shoot his cannon" (ifyouknowwhatImean, ew ew ew) on girls when they slept.

I don't know if he was ever caught or not.

I also saw a lot of posts about Ted Bundy on here--wasn't he a Univ. of Washington alum? (Or was that the Green River killer?) Eesh.