GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,214
3 members and 2,211 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Eastern Kentucky: 3 Fraternity Suspensions (Hazing Alleged)

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/stat...932af9f0c.html

Eastern Kentucky (Richmond) has suspended three fraternities for alleged hazing incidents.

“The Pi Kappa Alpha chapter will be suspended until January 2014, the Phi Delta Theta chapter will be suspended until August 2013 and the Lambda Chi Alpha chapter has been placed on a reduced activity schedule until August.”

Edited to add: A few more details are in these articles:

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/14/2...ternities.html

and

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/H...3.html?ref=593

Last edited by exlurker; 01-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
There was a hazing related death of a fraternity pledge several years ago on this campus. Well, it's probably been 15 years ago (!) -- (Which doesn't seem that long ago to me, but I guess it's 5-6 "generations" of college students.)

We can't ever stop educating about hazing and risk management issues.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
There was a hazing related death of a fraternity pledge several years ago on this campus. Well, it's probably been 15 years ago (!) -- (Which doesn't seem that long ago to me, but I guess it's 5-6 "generations" of college students.)

I think the incident happened in Spring of 1986. I grew up near Richmond.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/stat...932af9f0c.html

Eastern Kentucky (Richmond) has suspended three fraternities for alleged hazing incidents.

“The Pi Kappa Alpha chapter will be suspended until January 2014, the Phi Delta Theta chapter will be suspended until August 2013 and the Lambda Chi Alpha chapter has been placed on a reduced activity schedule until August.”

Edited to add: A few more details are in these articles:

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/14/2...ternities.html

and

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/H...3.html?ref=593

Two of the mentioned groups had such rumors circulating about them 10 years ago when I pledged. I've been an advisor here for four years now and sadly I cant say I'm too shocked.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I havent heard about this. I do know there was a death in 2000. It involved drunk driving. The fraternity involved is not mentioned above, and it also involved Chi Omega. It was a joint event between those two groups. The driver of that vehicle served time for manslaughter.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
I havent heard about this. I do know there was a death in 2000. It involved drunk driving. The fraternity involved is not mentioned above, and it also involved Chi Omega. It was a joint event between those two groups. The driver of that vehicle served time for manslaughter.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. What fraternity was it in 2000?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

In 1986 an SAE pledge died of alcohol poisoning. He was the pledge class president.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I was at EKU long before ThetaPrincess but even back in my days those things were going on but no one really thought much of it. I can remember being " collected" during a KA scavenger hunt when each of the pledges had to bring girls from different sororities. We thought it was a lot of fun but that was before Oprah was around to tell me I was being treated like an object and had no self respect!!!
I can't really believe that nothing like that wreck happened before 2000. Always scared me to death when we would come home from formals and stuff from Lexington. It surprises me now how lax we were with those things back in the late 70's early 80's. I would die if my kids did some of the things we did!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. What fraternity was it in 2000?
Beta Theta Pi. Local alumni shut that chapter down soon after that incident. They recolonized a few years back and got their charter officially returned in 2009 I think.

Our Greek Life Advisor has really stepped it up and come in to her role the past three years or so. She does not mess around. Phi Tau is just coming back this year after a year's suspension. I cant comment further on that because everyone I have asked about the circumstances regarding their (Phi Tau) suspension has given me a different answer.

There are rumors that another fraternity is heading for a suspension as well. I dont want to say the name until I have confirmation.