GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,292
1 members and 2,291 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.
You're no jerk. I totally agree. My chapter is probably #1 in philanthropy events and donations on my campus, while some of the other chapters barely do anything, either way philanthropy night tends to be a bit boring for PNMs. They may SAY they like it, but only b/c Panhellenic does emphasize it and the chapters too because it's supposed to be an appealing aspect. However, I tend to think most PNMs' main focus lies elsewhere (ex. looks, popularity, the "fun" chapter), at least on my campus. I do wish we could think of something that's not skits or philanthropy to replace that day with.

In response to the woman who thought it was weird to have a 30 year old: my "auntie" (my big's sibling) was about 30 when she pledged, with a tween daughter. It would be less likely to happen now than it was back then, but she was and still is an amazing sister and I am so happy that she is!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a collegiate, we had a young widow come through rush - her husband had been an Air Force pilot. She was a real lady and we really wanted her, but she decided not to pledge.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot about this one-- i was a weird pnm once! When i was COBing DPhiE I showed up an hour and a half early to the second party of the week because I mixed up the times. When I got to the house the door was locked and no one was around. I kinda hung around outside in the middle of the greek lawn for a bit, until a sister came home from class and asked me what i was doing there. When they realized I was rushing, they kind of freaked out, because obviously nothing was ready yet. I felt so bad i even offered to help them set up decorations... they must of thought I was so strange.... yet here I am!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.
Y'all had restraint! I would have told her not to let the door hit her in her rude pretentious ass on the way out! What a biatch!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Not really a recruitment story, but it does help to reiterate the "Be Discrete" idea:

Some dorms in Madison opened yesterday so the incoming freshmen are beginning to move in... and enjoy their freedom from Mom and Dad.

As I was leaving my house, I ran into some XYZ friends in front of their chapter house. As we're chatting, a very (very) intoxicated young lady runs up to us and asks if we are in XYZ. My two friends nodded (They really didn't want to start a conversation- HELLO, period of silence rule). The girl proceeds to squeal and yells "I'm going to be your sister soon! I'm rushing only for you guys!"

Classy!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
So, although rush hasn't started, I had a weird moment during practice rush! I'm not sure if other schools do this, but during work week, there's a designated day where two chapters will send 40 girls each to one house to be the "PNMs" for a round while the other chapter gets a real practice. It was our turn to practice first invite, which is our skit/sisterhood round. I was really nervous cause this was the first time I was going to be doing anything like this. The party actually went really well! But I had a strange comment when I was walking my PNM out...In our skit, there's a "commercial break" and one of this sisters does a really funny impression of the Shamwow guy. When I picked up my PNM after the skit was over, I asked her if she liked it. She said, "Yeah! and actually I LOVE Shamwows! My hairs just so thick, and I shed alot, especially after I shower, so my mom makes me use one to dry my hair. It really helps, there's a lot less hair around the house!"

What the hell??
Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
So, although rush hasn't started, I had a weird moment during practice rush! I'm not sure if other schools do this, but during work week, there's a designated day where two chapters will send 40 girls each to one house to be the "PNMs" for a round while the other chapter gets a real practice. It was our turn to practice first invite, which is our skit/sisterhood round. I was really nervous cause this was the first time I was going to be doing anything like this. The party actually went really well! But I had a strange comment when I was walking my PNM out...In our skit, there's a "commercial break" and one of this sisters does a really funny impression of the Shamwow guy. When I picked up my PNM after the skit was over, I asked her if she liked it. She said, "Yeah! and actually I LOVE Shamwows! My hairs just so thick, and I shed alot, especially after I shower, so my mom makes me use one to dry my hair. It really helps, there's a lot less hair around the house!"

What the hell??

Lmao. That's a little strange. I've heard that the Shamwow tends to dye things orange ... so she should be careful

But that's a cute idea with the commercial break!

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't read this thread in a while.....always cracks me up.

I have refrained from posting this story for a while, but I'll go ahead now. A few semesters ago we had a girl come through COB.....she was pretty tomboyish, which was fine, until she told our president that she was actually going through the process of having a sex change to become a guy. Even better, she said that if she had been allowed by the IFC, she would have rushed a fraternity! Needless to say, she made a lot of girls feel really uncomfortable and wasn't given a bid, although she continued to show up to EVERY COB event that semester and the next.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This was from a long time ago (think just over 10 years) but I pledged fall of my freshman year. We did a spring rush that year and someone I knew from my first semester in the freshman dorm was rushing my house. We weren't roommates or anything- we just lived on the same floor and didn't hang out. I didn't get a chance to see her one night during rush until she was leaving, at which point she looked around (she was right by our exit), was PICKING HER NOSE, and smeared it on the wall as she walked out. I was not the only one that saw. In fact, people gave me crap about it because she made it known that she knew me. Needless to say, she did not get a bid from us. I thought she did that as maybe an act of showing she didn't like us? Turns out she called me after bids were given out, in tears, asking me why she didn't get in our house. Crazy girl. (Note: she did end up in another sorority, though. She must have left their walls alone.)
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I volunteered at a recruitment workshop tonight along with several other alumnae, and I was really tempted to take some inspiration from this thread for some of my characters. I wasn't quite that mean, but I'd say collectively we hit most of the finer points of the crazy people represented in this thread.

This is one of those threads you just want to read over again every year or two, it never gets old!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

There is this one kid at my school who was very well known to the NIC greeks. He was one of those guys who loved partying, drinking, doing drugs and the whole nine. So he ended up rushing every single NIC fraternity on campus trying to get a bid, even though he didn't even go to school here. He ended up getting dropped twice and banned from at least one house, but that didn't stop him. He ended up making a gang and modeling it off of a fraternity, with a grip and all. It get better though. He somehow learned the grip of one of the fraternities and would go around giving it to all of the brothers. Everybody hates this kid.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

During my first formal recruitment as an active I was chatting with some PNMs who had been my frosh (I had been a group facilitator for orientation) and one of the girls apparently forgot I was also in the sorority she was trying to rush and started talking about what she had done on the Sunday of Frosh week.

Sidenote: As a frosh facilitator you sign a contract agreeing not to abuse yoru position as a facilitator with the new students. AKA no hooking up with frosh during frosh week. Sunday is the official end of Frosh week and the day when contracts no longer apply, needless to say this means lots of frosh hooking up with facilitators in the bar where the after frosh party is. Not appropriate to talk about at a recruitment party!

As if that wasn't bad enough she proceeded to start naming names of facilitators who had "signed her arm" (guys sign the arm bands of girls they make out with on Sunday, it's a weird tradition) that she knew where in fraternities (and who also had some girlfriends among my sisters). Needless to say she did not get a bid to my chapter.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I haven't read this thread in a while.....always cracks me up.

I have refrained from posting this story for a while, but I'll go ahead now. A few semesters ago we had a girl come through COB.....she was pretty tomboyish, which was fine, until she told our president that she was actually going through the process of having a sex change to become a guy. Even better, she said that if she had been allowed by the IFC, she would have rushed a fraternity! Needless to say, she made a lot of girls feel really uncomfortable and wasn't given a bid, although she continued to show up to EVERY COB event that semester and the next.
any follow up on this would be sooo interesting!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Another PNM going through with me started talking about her period and how it got so much worse after having her kid five months ago and other stuff like that to me and the rushers who were talking to us. I know I was flabbergasted, I can't even imagine what the chapter members thought.