GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,310
1 members and 2,309 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Can i join a black frat?

Well let me start out with some background info about me, Im Puerto Rican and Dominican I'm from the Bronx N.Y. Where I grew up was right in the middle of two cultures on one block was the strong Latin infused sounds and on the next block was the strong influence of hiphop. I chose hiphop, I love the music, the culture, all of it, but I am very proud of my Latin roots. I see hiphop as my home and my Latin roots as my view of life. I always wanted to pledge a frat but never really knew the story or how exactly it worked. When I was younger; my cousin's fiancé would take me to step shows and that was when I would think to myself "when I got to college I want to join a brotherhood like that." I currently go to a community college, but next year: because of scholarship opportunities, I plan on going to a historically black school. My girlfriend goes to one now, and when I went to visit I was there for a probate. Once again I thought to myself "I cant wait until the next year to join a frat." My girlfriend asked me can I join if im not black. I never really thought about it until now. I don’t know what to do, I mean I feel like I can relate to any one, and I see past color, so the thought of me not being black as an issue never came across my mind.

So basically can I? If so do you think I would be turning my back on my Latino roots?
Can someone please give me some feed back? & Thanks!

Last edited by what2do08; 10-14-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: I got some complaints on how bad my "grammer and spelling was" lol is this better Mr. Elephant Walk? lol
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

What HBCU would admit someone with no conception of grammar or spelling?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by what2do08 View Post
well let me start out with some background info about me...Im puerto rican and dominican im from the Bronx N.Y. where i grew up was right in the middle of two cultures on one block was the srtong latin infused sounds and on the next block was the strong influence of hiphop i chose hiphop i love the music the culture all of it but i am very proud of my latin roots but i see hiphop as my home and my latin roots as my view of life but any way i always wanted to pledge a frat but never realy knew the story or how exactly it worked my cousin's fiance would take me to step shows when i was younger and that when i felt like when i got to college i want to join a brotherhood like that i currently go to a community college but next year because of scholarship oppertunities i plan on going to a historicaly black school my girlfriend goes to one now and when i go to visit i was there for a probate and felt like i cant wait until the next year to join a frat my girlfriend asked me can i join if im not black i never realy thought about it til now i dont know what to do i mean i feel like i can relate to any one and i see past color so the thought of me not being black as an issue never came acrossed my mind...

so basically can i? and if so do you think i would be truning my back on my latino roots?

someone please give me some feed back and thatks
I'm mad that this is one looooooong sentence

No NPHC fraternity is going to bar membership based on race. As long as your goals align with the organization's, you won't be "turning your back" on your Latino roots. I'm African-American in a Latino frat, but I haven't turned my back on anything. I still educate myself on my own culture, and you can do the same.

And I agree with EW. You're never going to get into a university if you think that "paragraph" is proper English.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
well let me start out with some background info about me...Im puerto rican and dominican im from the Bronx N.Y.
You're black.

Welcome to the NPHC!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ LOL

Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sayin....and I mean this with no shade whatsoever.... of all the Latinos I've known to pledge an NPHC fraternity, none fitting the original poster's description have ever had a problem fitting in.

I think it would be different if it was a Mexican American from Texas who looked white trying to pledge Omega at Howard or FAMU.

Culturally speaking.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

i know this is one big sentence i was just typeing it wasnt an essay or a resume so why go through that im an english major all i do is write so i know it looks bad lol but thank all u guys for the feed back
Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i know this is one big sentence i was just typeing it wasnt an essay or a resume so why go through that im an english major all i do is write so i know it looks bad lol but thank all u guys for the feed back
You shouldn't reserve proper grammar/spelling for essays and resumes only, especially if you're an English major.

But congratulations on your scholarship and good luck in your pursuit.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, have you looked at all of the D9 fraternities?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Quote:
I'm an English major and I never type this horribly. Without proper punctuation, it's really hard to read your paragraph, regardless if you're a biology major, English major, accounting major, etc...
Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i know this is one big sentence i was just typeing it wasnt an essay or a resume so why go through that
So that we can understand you without having to read your post too many times?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

lord. please stop reppin the bronx like this. i started to have high hopes for yall.

one of my closest sorors to me is dominican and from the BX. not that this info should be a beacon of light to your pursuit of greekdom.

and please PLEASE do better. English major, really?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Sooo, no one cares that he wants to join because he saw a step show and a probate?

Forget race. Join a dance team or something. Any fraternity is going to want workers.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I would care if I didn't know some black Greeks who joined for the same reason. Sure, they became workers, but.... they had to be cultivated.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

haha-touché