GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,247
1 members and 2,246 guests
Sister Havana

Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Second Presidential Debate

I feel sorry for Tom Brokaw, truly. Other than their complete inability to follow the rules set up by their own people, I've yet to hear anything new or remarkable in this debate. A yawner, really. Perhaps I'm tired but I'm having a hard time even paying attention to this one.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I feel sorry for Tom Brokaw, truly. Other than their complete inability to follow the rules set up by their own people, I've yet to hear anything new or remarkable in this debate. A yawner, really. Perhaps I'm tired but I'm having a hard time even paying attention to this one.
What I found more entertaining was the dopey woman in the blue shirt in the back row of one of the sections. She looked like she had some good stuff before that debate!

AND watching McCain's facial expressions while Obama was talking - he made some good ones. Boyfriend and I decided McCain didn't sit down at all because he didn't want people to see him struggle to get up.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Obama will without a doubt keep his lead.

ETA: the GOP analysts on CNN agree

ETA2: CNN "flash" polls show all of Obama's numbers went up after debate

Last edited by nittanyalum; 10-07-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, McCain standing and moving around while Obama was talking was part of what was distracting me, now that you mention it. I wonder if that was the intended effect?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Actually, McCain standing and moving around while Obama was talking was part of what was distracting me, now that you mention it. I wonder if that was the intended effect?
Probably. Well - that and the septuagenarians have a tendency to move around just to make sure the blood's still flowin' to their feet.

Ok - that's enough of the old jokes for me.

I agree - I thought it was a snooze. Although, points for Tom Brokaw for calling them out on going over time (even though both of them tended to, every. single. question.).
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

*yawn*
I thought that Tom did as good a job as possible trying to reign in the candidates. and I agree that there wasn't much new material presented and I thought both candidates danced around many of the questions. I was impressed at the quality of some of the audience questions, they demonstrated a good understanding of world politics and economics. I thought that Obama did better than I expected given the format that was said to favor McCain. All in all, I am still not swayed either way just yet but I am beginning to lean...........
Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Across the blogs the one consistent thing I'm seeing mentioned is the "That One" remark. In fact, I've seen the youtube clip of it about 4 times now. Funny how a little thing like that gets legs.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
Probably. Well - that and the septuagenarians have a tendency to move around just to make sure the blood's still flowin' to their feet.

Ok - that's enough of the old jokes for me.

I agree - I thought it was a snooze. Although, points for Tom Brokaw for calling them out on going over time (even though both of them tended to, every. single. question.).
Maybe that's what most people saw, but I thought McCain might have been a bit excited! I know if that was me, i'd want to be on my feet, ready to answer the next question. I saw that as a positive for McCain... he actually looked a bit younger, staying on his feet.

On the flip side, did anyone notice Obama's stance while he was sitting on the stool? Straight out of a GQ cover shoot! lol.

Agree--Debate was a *yawn* I actually liked when the candidates fought for more follow-up time...finally, something exciting! Overall, I don't think this one will move the numbers either way.

Dreams do come true when your an American.
Congratulations President and Vice President Elect, Barack Obama and Joe Biden!

Last edited by pinksirfidel; 10-07-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

BOOORING.

There was no point in having a town hall if Brokaw was going to talk more than anyone else - including the candidates.

Not much changed in that, neither one answered anything interesting and just repeated talking points over and over.

The only interesting thing to see will be if the media runs with McCain's mortgage bailout plan, it was the only new thing in the debate tonight and if it gets significant press time he wins for grabbing the headlines. If not, tie, which obviously favors Obama now.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Across the blogs the one consistent thing I'm seeing mentioned is the "That One" remark. In fact, I've seen the youtube clip of it about 4 times now. Funny how a little thing like that gets legs.

That little clip made me laugh b/c I imagined how some morons will take that comment apart and make it out to be a HUGE pitfall and drama.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Yawnnnn. . . . With the exception of one question, when asked first to McCain if health care is a privilege, right or responsibility? McCain responded that it is a responsibility which i completely agree with but he offered no real follow up at to who is responsible. Then Obama answered and right off the bat he said i believe health care is a RIGHT. I'll admit im biased I've liked Obama from the beginning but never really had a negative thing to say about McCain I just liked Obama better. But for McCain tonight to not be able to say that health care is a right is really disappointing to me as a college student who upon graduation will be with out health care unless i get a job that provides it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Thumbs down

DANG IT - my post got deleted somehow. Anyway, the short of it was that I'd like to see these two candidates brawl for real. Obama was soft. McCain made some funky comments (e.g. "that one" and the I-guess-it-was-a-joke- about Brokaw) that got a little eyebrow raise from me.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
That little clip made me laugh b/c I imagined how some morons will take that comment apart and make it out to be a HUGE pitfall and drama.
It was condescending and icky.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Fox News Text Vote

As of 11:30PM...

Who won the debate tonight?
A. McCain - 86%
B. Obama - 12%
C. Undecided - 1%

I didn't think the debate was that clear-cut... but I guess for most Fox News viewers it was.

Dreams do come true when your an American.
Congratulations President and Vice President Elect, Barack Obama and Joe Biden!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksirfidel View Post
As of 11:30PM...

Who won the debate tonight?
A. McCain - 86%
B. Obama - 12%
C. Undecided - 1%

I didn't think the debate was that clear-cut... but I guess for most Fox News viewers it was.
Drudge and WSJ's online polls are both pretty similar where as CNN is split almost the same numbers but for Obama. I think you're just seeing a growing divide in where American's get their news because after this campaign it's going to take a while for ANY news source to really be seen as neutral again.