GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,562
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, BernadineB
» Online Users: 1,417
0 members and 1,417 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Arizona recruitment

Hi all!
I am new here and had a quick question! I am preparing to rush at University of Arizona in the fall and had a few quick questions regarding rush.

1.) For set 1, is it really okay to wear shorts? If so, what kind of shorts? Because I read the guidebook and they said shorts were recommended, but does this look like you aren't trying hard enough?

2.) Are sleeveless shirts okay to wear, or does that look too "sexy?"

3.) How tough is rush at UofA? I honestly have no idea.

4.) How does choosing houses work for every set? When do you rank which houses you like, and how to do you end up with one at the end?

5.) Also, my most important question is does set 1 go all the way up until 8 PM, or does it ever end earlier? And when do you get to know which houses you see for day 1 and day 2 of set 1? Can you ask your recruitment counsler and can she tell you? Or does she not know?

6.) Also, how do groups work? Are you grouped a certain way for rush?

Sorry, I don't know much about rush yet. Thanks for your help
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia2424 View Post
Hi all!
I am new here and had a quick question! I am preparing to rush at University of Arizona in the fall and had a few quick questions regarding rush.

1.) For set 1, is it really okay to wear shorts? If so, what kind of shorts? Because I read the guidebook and they said shorts were recommended, but does this look like you aren't trying hard enough?

2.) Are sleeveless shirts okay to wear, or does that look too "sexy?"

3.) How tough is rush at UofA? I honestly have no idea.

4.) How does choosing houses work for every set? When do you rank which houses you like, and how to do you end up with one at the end?

5.) Also, my most important question is does set 1 go all the way up until 8 PM, or does it ever end earlier? And when do you get to know which houses you see for day 1 and day 2 of set 1? Can you ask your recruitment counsler and can she tell you? Or does she not know?

6.) Also, how do groups work? Are you grouped a certain way for rush?

Sorry, I don't know much about rush yet. Thanks for your help
Thread specifically about UA:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=92840

We have a really good advice thread that explains a lot about how recruitment works in general:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...General+Advice

Recruitment is a mutual selection process. Each day, you will rank the chapters in the order of how much you'd like to return to them for the next round. At the same time, the CHAPTERS are deciding which PNMs they'd like to invite back. So it's not just PNMs choosing chapters.

Reading the threads above should really clarify a lot of your questions.

Good luck.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks. I read all of those! any more general advice about uofa??
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going through recruitment at the UA as well. I've spoken to women about what to wear and what the UA has recommended. I personally will not be wearing shorts--I am a skirt and dress kind of girl- if you want to wear them, go for it, but I would avoid destroyed jean shorts or anything too short, thumb length would probably be better. Remember, we should dress as we are most comfortable but also to impress, you want to show that you care about the impression you make. I think tank tops would be fine, as long as bra straps are NOT visible, and they are not the cheap ribbed kind--they should be dressier if it's to be worn at recruitment.

In terms of general advice about it, from what I have read on GC (and I have looked through quite a bit of threads) try to get some recommendations, better safe than sorry. I think, generally, that the best advice I have gotten is to go in with an open mind and a great attitude, recruitment should be a positive experience.

Did you get the mailer--The Bond? that has all the times for each set outlined. The days vary on ending between 7 and 8. I'm assuming that we will find out our groups and schedule for set I on the meeting on the 16th.

I only know of two people going through recruitment so feel free to PM me.

Last edited by cad2010; 07-29-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your help!! Im glad I am not going through this alone. I was thinking maybe white shorts and a cute shirt for one of the days? Also, do you think that they will go that late though? I read that on the schedule but didn't know if maybe it would end earlier or something. I got the Bond, and I read through it and have been reading through these things religiously! I agree though, I started planning my set 1 outfits and they were pretty casual, but after hearing what you have to say maybe casual isn't the way to go!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the white shorts and a nice blouse would be fine--watch for VPL though. Casual for set I will be fine I am sure, the days should get progressively dressier. I have always maintained that being over-dressed is better than under-dressed, but there is a fine line there--I wouldn't wear anything fancier than sun and day dresses up until set III. Personally, I hope that the days go that late. Yes, we will be tired, but the longer the day, the longer we spent at each house discerning if it could be our future home or not. Besides, I think it's a fair bet that the sorority women will be much more tired than us, they have to worry about set up and clean up, when we get to fill out our days choices and go to sleep
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah haha i dont really care how long it goes it's just that on set 1 one of the days I start work at 7. so i'll either just be late to work or see how things go
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Oooh okay, that makes more sense, but you may want to try to change your shift or something if you can, I really think it's better if we are at all the events we get invited to.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad2010 View Post
Oooh okay, that makes more sense, but you may want to try to change your shift or something if you can, I really think it's better if we are at all the events we get invited to.
Yes.

If you attend a full schedule of parties that day, you likely won't be done before 8.

If you have to be at work at 7, you may be missing all or part of a party you're invited to.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

can't you do something called speed rush on one of the days? someone at the orientation meeting said it's a possibility.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia2424 View Post
can't you do something called speed rush on one of the days? someone at the orientation meeting said it's a possibility.
Not worth it at a school as competitive as U of A. Your job can bend, you can cover your shift (its still early). If you REALLY want to go greek, you will make it work. There will always be other jobs (I mean not in real life...but when you're 18...yeah).
Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 AM

Speed rushing shortens your schedule, but you don't spend as much time with chapters as other girls.

That MAY be an option, but you want to give the chapters the best chance to get to know you. Recruitment parties are short as is, a shorter party doesn't give a chapter much time at all.

It's better than skipping the party altogether, but the best thing to do is try to switch with someone so you can keep your job and still attend all parties.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

well maybe I will just have to skip a party. I will still get to see 10 sororities. it really sucks and I wish I could reschedule but I can't. I work for my Dad, so no one can "cover" for me. and I asked him if I could skip work and he said no. and he pays for my school as well as if I am in a sorority. so I literally have no choice.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 AM

Also, I am really not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I would check with your Recruitment Counselor concerning UA's policy on missing parties.

I do know that some schools will remove PNMs from recruitment if they miss a party (for something other than class).

Now I don't know if UA does this or not, but it's good to check it out.

Either way, if you are going to miss or leave early, let your recruitment counselor know.

Like I said, if you have to choose between speed rushing and skipping, I would just do a speed schedule.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

okay. I will check and see what they have to say when the time comes. if they are going to kick me out for missing a party, then I for sure need to speed rush that day.