GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 908
1 members and 907 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas Recuitment Info

My daughter just went through the rush process so I will try to think of stuff while it is fresh.
Soroities are Big in Texas, like hair and the state. You will needs recs at the following school: Baylor, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, NTSU, A&M. Your will need recs and additional letters of support for the Univ. of Texas. Being a legacy helps at some school, the private school and may not be necessary at other.
Each city in Texas (Dallas, Houston, Arlington, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Midland, Katy, Sugarland, etc have Alumane panhellenic association. Many have web sites. FYI
Houston Meeting Saturday, February 23, 2008
10:00 AM and 12:00 noon
St Luke's Methodist Church
3471 Westheimer at Edloe
Sometime during the Spring of your senior year they will have a meeting. At the meeting they will give you names of individual sorority recuritment local person. This is an alumi of the sorority who coordinates the gathering of your hs transcript, photos (Face and standing) and sends it to the sorotiy. Each soroity has diffenent request. Some want two photos, etc. This person is very helpful and you should write her a thank you note when you are finished. Each school has different dates they need your information. It is in June for UT, Tech,etc. Later for Baylor and SMU as they don't have rush until Jan. So don't delay too long in getting pictures taken and your transcripts form your hs.
I would suggest that you get a rec for each sorority. My daughter found people to write them for her that were teachers, friends from church, family friends and her grandmother friends. People in one sorority could often recommend people in other sororities who where their friends who could write recs for you. You will need to make a resume to send to each of these people as well as a small picture of you. (wallet size) This being said my daughter had friends that pledged sororities at Tech, A&M, TCU, Baylor, SMU, NTSU and Texas. She had friends that joined sororities in AZ and none of this applied at all. It did apply to LSU. Best of luck just remember it takes time. In the end the payoff is great.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting this. Very accurate information. I hope it will help some of the young ladies thinking about recruitment.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

i know that the houston alumnae panhellenic chapter is very particular about who attends their recruitment information session. they want to limit it to pnms within a certain geographic area. their website is very helpful and spells out which pnms would fall under their jurisdiction and which alumnae panhellenic chapters the other pnms should contact.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

If you look at the houston site it sends you to different meetings based on the high school you attend. There meeting is fairly soon and other follow.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitemom View Post
If you look at the houston site it sends you to different meetings based on the high school you attend. There meeting is fairly soon and other follow.
http://www.houston-panhellenic.org/rush/default.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your will need recs and additional letters of support for the Univ. of Texas.
I can't stress how important this is. UT is not the SEC, but darned close!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask people who went there or are there now. I think my daughter thought she needed 10 or maybe more additional letters of support at UT. But when she did pick UT this info left my mind, if it important for someone to know I can find it out.

Last edited by Kitemom; 01-17-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spell
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NTSU
NTSU is now the University of North Texas (UNT)

Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I now that and I still call Texas State SW Texas State. Old habit are hard to break and I wished will still had the SW Conference.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry I now that and I still call Texas State SW Texas State. Old habit are hard to break and I wished will still had the SW Conference.
Oh, I figured you already knew That was more for new people or non-Texans who happened to run across this thread.

I still call "Texas State" SWT too; just flows a little bit better haha

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The Panhellenic Association of San Antonio's website is found at http://www.panhellenic-sa.org/701.html.

As an FYI, we no longer hold an informational meeting in the spring. We do our outreach through college fairs and the web. To register through the PASA, visit the website and review the information there regarding recruitment.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My alma mater will always be Southwest Texas to me, too!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Each city in Texas (Dallas, Houston, Arlington, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Midland, Katy, Sugarland, etc have Alumane panhellenic association)
I also just wanted to mention that El Paso has an Alumnae Panhellenic Association as well. From my understanding its not that well known...but I was told they are trying to get more people involved and it known to the High school girls.

I don't think we have a website though

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=Kitemom;1582736] You will needs recs at the following school: Baylor, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, NTSU, A&M. Your will need recs and additional letters of support for the Univ. of Texas.
This being said my daughter had friends that pledged sororities at Tech, A&M, TCU, Baylor, SMU, NTSU and Texas. She had friends that joined sororities in AZ and none of this applied at all.

In the Midwest, Pahellenic is actively deemphasizing the importance of recs to PNMs, you know, "levelling the playing field" and all that. (We have many, many PNMs that go through rush that have never solicited a single rec.) Have they tried to implement this change in the South as well? Or, have the greek culture and alumnae there held Panhellenic at bay?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatfan View Post
In the Midwest, Panhellenic is actively deemphasizing the importance of recs to PNMs, you know, "levelling the playing field" and all that. (We have many, many PNMs that go through rush that have never solicited a single rec.) Have they tried to implement this change in the South as well? Or, have the greek culture and alumnae there held Panhellenic at bay?
Do you mean a certain city's Panhellenic? "The Midwest" covers a lot of campi.