GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,289
2 members and 1,287 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2004, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Cosby & Jesse

The cardboard sign said it all: “Bill Cosby, You Don’t Need to Apologize.”

It was a common sentiment as the entertainer appeared this morning at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition’s national conference, held at the Sheraton Towers hotel downtown.

Cosby, who touched off a stir in May with comments at an NAACP conference about some African Americans needing to take more personal responsibility, didn’t apologize. But he did offer an explanation before he and the Rev. Jesse Jackson, his Omega Psi Phi fraternity brother, fielded questions.

Read the rest here

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cosby01.html
Old 10-08-2004, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Bill Cosby

Iconoclastic,

I don't know your ethnicity, but let me share with you that yes, had a white person made those remarks, it would have caused a nationwide uproar, for the fact that white people, or any other ethnicity lacks the ability be empathetic to what we as people of African descent experience in this country.

It's like your father telling you to get your act together as opposed to someone else's father, whom you have never met telling you to get your act together, meanwhile his past mistakes have caused your problem to begin with!

Does that help?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't say I disagree with Iconoclastic on this one.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
At the way you worded this.

I can say that I agree with the first part of his statement that a white person would have caused an uproar. I can also say that I agree with 20 Pearl's response.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to strivingsf
Please forgive the long post.

I believe that Bill Cosby's barage of negativity does not help the people he berated. What is he doing in those communities to make a difference. YOu can not throw money at a problem and expect the problem to go away, you can not expect SOME people who are limited in their outlook on the world to change overnight.

Bill, when you see a problem with the children, teenagers, young adults do you just shake your head and walk away, then go before a national press and "air dirty laundry". Either step up or shut up. How is Bill helping teenage mothers so they could complete school and attend college, what about african american boys who are over represented in special education classes, and the children who are routinely medicated because they do not follow the "you sit and listen, I teach" method public schools still practice. In most public schools teachers frown upon group projects, collabrative learning, students teaching other students.

I am sick of people saying there is a problem in the African American community and can not provide a viable solution.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strivingsf

I believe that Bill Cosby's barage of negativity does not help the people he berated. What is he doing in those communities to make a difference. YOu can not throw money at a problem and expect the problem to go away, you can not expect SOME people who are limited in their outlook on the world to change overnight.

Bill, when you see a problem with the children, teenagers, young adults do you just shake your head and walk away, then go before a national press and "air dirty laundry". Either step up or shut up. How is Bill helping teenage mothers so they could complete school and attend college, what about african american boys who are over represented in special education classes, and the children who are routinely medicated because they do not follow the "you sit and listen, I teach" method public schools still practice. In most public schools teachers frown upon group projects, collabrative learning, students teaching other students.

I am sick of people saying there is a problem in the African American community and can not provide a viable solution.
Striving,

You are contradicting yourself...on one hand you are saying he shouldn't throw money at folks and just walk away, and then on the other hand you ask what it is he is doing to help? What else can an individual do besides offer money to orgs who are set up to help the less fortunate? Certainly someone like Bill Cosby, or Joe Schmo for that matter would not make an impact by driving to the hood and "lecturing" folks about the mistakes they are making.

I also don't subscribe to this airing of the dirty laundry syndrome. Were you under the guise that the rest of the world is unaware that the African diaspora is in a state of constant crisis?

Yes, we were/are the victims of psychological genecide, but that aside, we at some point have to stop the apathy and stop making excuses for laziness.

I could go on for days with this....
Old 10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strivingsf

You are barking up the wrong tree. Bill has given of his personal time and money unbeknownst to most folk. He gets his hands dirty in helping give Uplift. You are probably too young to remeber when Bill took many a young comedian and performer aside and told them that if they wanted a long career, that they would have to evolve beyond smut. Bill has worked on many a cause in inner city Philly and in Westchester county NY for the underserved. Bill has done more than you could ever dream of doing and he does so without fanfare.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
What difference does that make. It has no place in this debate. What white folks say or think does not help us solve OUR problems How Jesse would have reacted if a white said it is a non-issue because it is hypothetical and argumentative, availing nothing.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PerroLoco
What difference does that make. It has no place in this debate. What white folks say or think does not help us solve OUR problems How Jesse would have reacted if a white said it is a non-issue because it is hypothetical and argumentative, availing nothing.
You might want to quote Iconoclastic's post, buddy.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Separating the fact that Bill Cosby and Jesse are bruhz, I have no problem with when, where, are how Bill made his remarks. I do have a problem with Jesse and his photo-optness.

Bill Cosby has put his money and resources where his mouth is. Jesse has taken money and resources for his mouth.

And, I have been following Jesse ever since he used to come to SIUC in the 70s under the guise of motivating the young college students. Many of us peeped him then--enuf said on that.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Jesse's a hypocrite!

Quote:
Originally posted by Iconoclastic
If some white man had said, Jesse would be asking for his head on a platter. If it was a Black person of no known notoriety, or a well known person disparaged by the Black community, he would have asked the to be crucified. Sucker!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if their frat or not, right is right and wrong is wrong. They call him Racist! Racist! he just a sellout! using his people for riches!

I definitely agree w/Iconoclastic. If these remarks were made by Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell our community would have been in an uproar. Both would've been labeled sell outs. I was at Constitution Hall in DC when he made the remarks and honestly a lot of us were stunned. I think it's very easy to make a speech criticizing poor Blacks to an audience of middle and upper class blacks. The problem that I have w/some of his comments is that they target poor blacks. The issues within our educational system that he referred to exists in our poor communities as well as our affluent communities. I live in DC and the schools in Prince Georges County (home to many wealthy blacks) are just as bad as those in DC. I wish he would have commented on that. The bottom line is in our communities, both poor and affluent, we are failing our kids. We need to stop pointing a finger and acting like wealthy black folks are doing such a great job at educating their kids and poor black folks are not. That's just not the case.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Jesse's a hypocrite!

Quote:
Originally posted by ramrod
I definitely agree w/Iconoclastic. If these remarks were made by Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell our community would have been in an uproar. Both would've been labeled sell outs. I was at Constitution Hall in DC when he made the remarks and honestly a lot of us were stunned. I think it's very easy to make a speech criticizing poor Blacks to an audience of middle and upper class blacks. The problem that I have w/some of his comments is that they target poor blacks. The issues within our educational system that he referred to exists in our poor communities as well as our affluent communities. I live in DC and the schools in Prince Georges County (home to many wealthy blacks) are just as bad as those in DC. I wish he would have commented on that. The bottom line is in our communities, both poor and affluent, we are failing our kids. We need to stop pointing a finger and acting like wealthy black folks are doing such a great job at educating their kids and poor black folks are not. That's just not the case.

I don't think Bill was criticizing poor black people for being poor, I think he was criticizing the way in which they are so apathetic in raising thier children and persuing the opportunities in this country. How many more foreigners have to come to this country and start from stratch and go on to become doctors, lawyers and engineers. It doesn't take money to better your situation it takes

DISCIPLINE!!!!!!! Something a whole lot us lack.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Greater Hypocrisy!

Quote:
"for the fact that white people, or any other ethnicity lacks the ability be empathetic to what we as people of African descent experience in this country." 20 PEARLS

It's so funny how you people want to shove this white man can't understand THEORY on everyone, and then when you all want something it's, "Mr Whitey(aka the Gov't), can we have this or that?" So what's the matter of my race? Let me tell you something about your people 20 PEARLS. The highest rate of NEW HIV infections is 50% overall and 68% among black women; 536,000 abortion per year; 70% out-of-wedlock births. Yet, you all make up so small a percentage of the population, but have the highest rates in almost every area in which your people can make MORAL CHOICES. These are not choices we make as a result of the white man's power. These are PERSONAL, MORAL choices. And look at what all of these statistics are centered around, SEX. You all are a race out of control morally, specifically sexually. Your men won't keep their pants up and your women won't stop dropping theirs. Now you chew on that for a while. I love you people, but the problems are obvious. No self-proclaimed or accepted leader of the Black community has the courage to say what I just said on national TV, but I would do it in a heartbeat. I have done it publicly before. Call me, if you are willing.
919/278-8911- I deal with black hypocrisy all the time. And check out my website. One of your famous (infamous) sorors appears on there.
1 in every 160 black women are HIV+, while 1 in every 3200 white women are HIV+

www.blackgenocide.com

I'll pass on the phone call it ain't that serious...
Are you Fred Hachett? If so, I heard you are a DENOUNCED Omega, if that is so, why do you say "YOUR PEOPLE"

Please re read my second post. And this has nothing to do with my famous or infamous sorors, please do not start that stuff up on this issue. All members of BGLO's are fallible and imperfect, so even you Minister Hachett, so chill!

Last edited by 20PearlGirl; 10-15-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Greater Hypocrisy!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iconoclastic
[B]"for the fact that white people, or any other ethnicity lacks the ability be empathetic to what we as people of African descent experience in this country." 20 PEARLS

It's so funny how you people want to shove this white man can't understand THEORY on everyone, and then when you all want something it's, "Mr Whitey(aka the Gov't), can we have this or that?" So what's the matter of my race? Let me tell you something about your people 20 PEARLS. The highest rate of NEW HIV infections is 50% overall and 68% among black women; 536,000 abortion per year; 70% out-of-wedlock births. Yet, you all make up so small a percentage of the population, but have the highest rates in almost every area in which your people can make MORAL CHOICES. These are not choices we make as a result of the white man's power. These are PERSONAL, MORAL choices. And look at what all of these statistics are centered around, SEX. You all are a race out of control morally, specifically sexually. Your men won't keep their pants up and your women won't stop dropping theirs. Now you chew on that for a while. I love you

people, but the problems are obvious. No self-proclaimed or accepted leader of the Black community has the courage to say what I just said on national TV, but I would do it in a heartbeat. I have done it publicly before. Call me, if you are willing.
919/278-8911- I deal with black hypocrisy all the time. And check out my website. One of your famous (infamous) sorors appears on there.
1 in every 160 black women are HIV+, while 1 in every 3200 white women are HIV+

Icon there you go again w/your pseudo stats, why don't tell the people how those abortion stats are really compiled.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Good Material!!

Quote:
Prove that they are pseudo-stats? If you can't, PUOSU! As for it not being that serious, typical. So what is a "serious matter"? A little pinky stuck in the air? A little high-pitched shout out? Why the you people? Just my way of making my point. By the way, there are some white ques, so stop stereotyping. I like this topic review. I can copy and paste all at once.

Please find a mission in life besides annoying folks who are members of GLO's. I am sure there are people in need of your services. Why don't you go and minister to gang members and drug-addicts and stuff?