GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,637
0 members and 2,637 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's fair to say that Alpha-Kappa is a cornerstone for regional quality. Fingers crossed that there will be some movement in having some chapters like it in the region, both in terms of quality of school and the chapter. I think it takes some work and some of that work will probably have to fall to very active informal or peer efforts rather than waiting and hoping for the fraternity structure to do it because that ain't happening.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

As of now, Binghamton's colony is scheduled to become a chapter in February. My chapter and some others nearby should be headed down for that.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Hockeynut:

Thanks for the post, and the information. It's good to learn that the Binghamton colony is progressing towards a February chartering. Another upstate NY chapter to join Hobart, Cornell, Cortland, and New Paltz will be most welcome, hopefully with the Albany colony also chartering soon thereafter.

Have you heard anything about any other prospective colonies in your area?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Cal Berkeley:

BETA-XI RECOLONIZATION UPDATE – OCT ’12

BETA-XI COLONY OFFICIALLY APPROVED – KAPPA SIGMA RETURNS TO CAL

Dear Beta-Xi Brothers,

Beta-Xi has organized over 30 new members and Kappa Sigma National has formally established a Colony at Cal! We plan to successfully have a fully-chartered Chapter in place for the Fall 2013 school year when we also move back into the house. More news to come soon.

from http://www.calkappasigma.org/fratern...-update-oct-12
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

^Congrats!

BTW, Danville? Did you go to Monte Vista?

Davis got our official charter in October.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufield View Post
Hockeynut:

Thanks for the post, and the information. It's good to learn that the Binghamton colony is progressing towards a February chartering. Another upstate NY chapter to join Hobart, Cornell, Cortland, and New Paltz will be most welcome, hopefully with the Albany colony also chartering soon thereafter.

Have you heard anything about any other prospective colonies in your area?

I've heard that there was an interest group in Syracuse, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

I also do know Albany was fairly close to chapter status, but something was holding them back. They avoided getting into serious problems when the university was trying to crack down on hazing this past November. From what I've known and experienced, they're a good group and should be a chapter very soon.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

> BTW, Danville? Did you go to Monte Vista?

Nope, I'm from the East Coast (Wakefield, Mass), and moved to Danville during the dot com boom. My son went to Venture, in San Ramon, and is now a sophomore at Harvard, which has a very limited greeklife presence.

> Davis got our official charter in October.
https://sites.google.com/site/kappasigmaucdavis/Home

That's cool! Is Davis your chapter? It would be nice to see some current news, and pictures of the house and brothers. Danville (and Alamo and San Ramon) is crawling with Greeks, including Kappa Sigs. You might want to do a monthly get together at the Crown Pub with all your local alumni?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah, I see!

Davis is my chapter, I'm graduated now, glad to see it finally take off after everything we went through.

I'll have to see who is around when I head back to Danville (I work for UC Davis now fulltime, but it's close enough to head home).

I believe our Grand Scribe is getting everything setup for current news for the Report, I'll send you any info I get.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Sigma Colony at Cal Poly SLO

I am one of the pledges/founding fathers for Nu Alpha Colony at Cal Poly. We became a colony in May and received official recognition from Cal Poly' IFC in October; allowing us to formally recruit and rush this quarter (Winter 2013). We plan on becoming a full chapter by the end of the school year in June.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your informative post, DJKSSLO. It is great to see somewhat of a resurgence of posts to this site in the past couple of months. Of course, even more posts would be most welcome.

Good news that the Nu-Alpha Colony at Cal Poly SLO is apparently thriving. The recolonizations of Nu-Alpha, Gamma-Rho (University of Arizona), Epsilon-Iota (San Diego State), Beta-Xi (UC Berkeley), Gamma-Zeta (NYU), Beta-Rho (University of Iowa), and Nu-Psi (University of Cincinnati) are by far the highlights of the Order's expansionary activities last summer and over the course of the first half of the 2012-2012 academic year. That is a significant list of recolonizations, each of which, when the colony is rechartered, will be a notable addition to the active chapter roll. Hopefully, even more recolonizations are in the works.

On the other hand, establishment of colonies at schools at which the fraternity has never previously had a presence has been disappointing, to say the least. There have been only three. The first of them, at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville is certainly positive, as it does have a healthy, expanding Greek system, which increases the colony's prospects of success, and is located in a State in which the Fraternity presently has only one active chapter, Alpha-Gamma at the University of Illinois. The second new colony is at Lindenwood University Belleville, a school that almost nobody who does not go there has ever heard of and that is without any Greek system (unfortunate characteristics of too many Kappa Sig colonies). This school is not to be confused with Lindenwood University, located in St. Charles, Missouri, another State in which the Fraternity is underrepresented (only five active chapters, none at SEMO, St. Louis U, Truman State, and UMKC, all schools with healthy Greek systems at which the Fraternity should have had chapters years ago), The best thing about this colony is that he host school is also in Illinois, and that if it manages to succeed, it will add another school to the Fraternity's minimal active chapter presence there. The third and most recent new colony is at Northwestern Oklahoma State University, further bolstering the Fraternity's already considerable presence in Oklahoma, but, let's face it, not a prominent school and one with a very small Greek system to boot. That is not a very noteworthy list of new colonies, especially given the large number of prominent schools with healthy Greek systems, in all parts of the country, at which the Fraternity has never had a chapter, and, in most cases, never a colony. Hopefully, some more new colonies, at some reasonably prominent schools instead of even more obscure ones, will be established in this second half of the academic year.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 AM
GreekChat Member

stufield,

I recently got to participate in the initiation and chartering of two new chapters within the past few months. The first Dec 1st, 2012, was Old Dominion University and they became Sigma-Theta. Then this past month at Christopher Newport University on Jan 19th, 2013 and they became Sigma-Lambda (I believe).

I believe that they were both first time colonies at their schools.

Also I transferred to Virginia Commonwealth University and really want to bring it back since it was kicked off in 2009 :/ But finding a group of guys that are younger than me, willing to work to bring it back, and while being a transfer trying to graduate on time is kinda hard lol

Last edited by KappaSig_Eta; 02-21-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma-Nu at Binghamton was installed two weekends ago with over forty members, and from what I know they just completed their rush. I think the rest of us in the district expect Albany to be installed within the next month or so as well. They have massive (60+) numbers from what I know.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Tau-Gamma is being installed at the University of Nevada, Reno this Saturday.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

So, too, is Tau-Beta Chapter at Humboldt State University, after Tau-Alpha Chapter at SUNY-Geneseo last weekend, and Sigma-Omega Chapter at Santa Clara University the weekend before.