GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-26-2002, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't A Brother Get Some Love -- Commentary about Love Scenes

This is from E! Online and briefly touches on the love scenes of our Black actors and actresses.

Can't a Brother Get Some Love?

I hope I'm not ruining anything when I tell you there's no full-frontal nudity in Full Frontal.

No compromising shots of Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Catherine Keener or even Blair Underwood. Actually, David Duchovny comes closest to exposing himself...but you'll just have to see for yourself. I can tell you that after screening it last week, I was giddy for the rest of the day, because it's simply so unusual: Steven Soderbergh's Full Frontal is a smart movie about the movies.

Afterward, I couldn't shake one of Frontal's most salient observations about black actors in Hollywood. Underwood plays an actor being interviewed by Roberts about being a black actor in L.A. The role wasn't originally written that way.

"It was not written black," Underwood says. "Steven said feel free--write down notes, ideas, things you want to say, statements you want to make. The ideas that were on paper, they felt too realistic, too heavy-handed for this kind of comedy."

So, Underwood turned to former Yale professor D Knowledge (Derrick Gilbert) to help him compose a poem/rap that would encompass the history of the black experience on film--notable for its lack of lovin'. It's a showstopper.

An excerpt:

It's the American way, Wesley.
Be cute, and still save the world.
Yes we will, Will.
Go from boy in the 'hood to Man of Honor.
Show 'em the money now, Cuba.
Give 'em funnies like Chris Rock or Tucker or just cool.
He be anybody like Denzel. But wait.
He ain't even really getting no lovin'.
Like Sidney before him and whoever after him, romancin' and
dancin' with a Maurice passion ain't in the script's equation.
But can even Mr. Washington briefly be seen kissing a
Pretty Woman underneath a Pelican Moon?

"Even though it indicts the film industry, it comes from a very human place," says Knowledge, now at the University of Michigan. "You can't even see Danny Glover kiss his wife, while Mel Gibson hooks up with whoever. Can't a brother get some love?"

You'd think a brother could, in this movie at least, which is why I wanted to ask Soderbergh, at Frontal's premiere, how he could include such a poem, then later, when Underwood gets the chance to bump uglies with his lover, Keener, choose to shoot them hazy and from a distance--they are, frankly, two amorphous forms who could be any race or sex.

I would have asked, movie fans, but Soderbergh's chauffeured Town Car stopped at the theater's front door instead of the press line. So, I guess we'll never know.

Also from E! Online:
Another Mystery, Man: Austin Powers, as played by Mike Myers has shagged every one of his birds, from Elizabeth Hurley to Heather Graham, but why doesn't he touch Foxxy Cleopatra (Beyoncé Knowles) in the dark in Goldmember? Strange, huh?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

from EURweb

MORRIS O'KELLY: Are There Any 'Black' Summer Movies?

(May. 4, 2004) It's that time of year, summer blockbusters are poised to take over. Memorial Day and the 4th of July are two weekends you can always depend on for major releases that make or break a movie studio. A friend asked me the other day when are we going to have a 'Black' summer blockbuster. My answer to him was, "What exactly is a 'Black' movie in the first place?"
Seriously, what is a 'Black' movie? Will Smith will be starring in "I,Robot" this summer which features the man with extremely wide ear set, fighting off a band of self-aware, evil robots. That movie will have more CGI robots than Black folk…so THAT's NOT a Black movie, right? That's more a 'robot' movie than a 'Black' movie, wouldn't you say? Yes it's a summer blockbuster with a Brotha as the leading man, but…

So again, what is a 'Black' movie?

Read the rest HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After reading that article, what are your thoughts? What IS a BLACK MOVIE?!??
Old 07-04-2004, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Searching for something on GOOGLE and came across this article

I only copied the list and the part that pertains to DST. Read the entire interview HERE.

UI professor, brother compile list of influential black films

By Jeffrey Charis-Carlson
For the Press-Citizen

This week's Q&A is with Venise Berry, University of Iowa associate professor of Journalism and Mass Communication and co-author of "The 50 Most Influential Black Films."

The list

1. The Railroad Porter 1912

2. Realization of a Negro's Ambition 1916

3. Birth of a Race 1918

4. Body and Soul 1924

5. Scar of Shame 1927

6. Hearts in Dixie 1929

7. Hallelujah 1929

8. The Emperor Jones 1933

9. Imitation of Life 1934 & 1959

10. Harlem on the Prairie 1938

11. The Blood of Jesus 1941

12. Cabin in the Sky 1943

13. Stormy Weather 1943

14. Home of the Brave 1948

15. The Jackie Robinson Story 1950

16. Carmen Jones 1954

17. St. Louis Blues 1958

18. Sergeant Rutledge 1960

19. A Raisin in the Sun 1961

20. Black Like Me 1964

21. Nothing but a Man 1964

22. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner 1967

23. The Learning Tree 1969

24. Sweet Sweetback's Baadasss Song 1971

25. Shaft 1971

26. Buck and The Preacher 1972

27. Blackula 1972

28. The Spook Who Sat by the Door 1973

29. Coffy 1973

30. Claudine 1974

31. Cooley High 1975

32. Countdown at Kusini 1976

33. Krush Groove 1985

34. The Color Purple 1985

35. She's Gotta Have It 1986

36. Hollywood Shuffle 1987

37. A Dry White Season 1989

38. Lean on Me 1989

39. Glory 1989

40. Daughters of the Dust 1991

41. Boys in the Hood 1991

42. To Sleep with Anger 1991

43. Bebe's Kids 1992

44. Malcolm X 1992

45. Waiting to Exhale 1995

46. The Nutty Professor 1996

47. Get on the Bus 1996

48. Amistad 1997

49. Eve's Bayou 1997

50. The Best Man 1999

Q: You divide the book into decades, with the 1990s being represented by 11 films. What does that say about the quality of the black films being made at the end of the 20th and, now, at the beginning of the 21st centuries?

A: We have seen a significant increase in the number of good films. The only time that we previously had these numbers and this kind of positive black films in the industry was during the 1970s, during the so-called 'blacksploitation' period.

A few films appear in the late 1980s, starting with "She's Gotta Have It," and soon transformed into a second black renaissance in film in the 1990s. We developed a good, solid base of films in terms of conveying positive and important messages about African American culture.

It was during the 1990s that we see the first animated film, "Bebe's Kids" and, with "The Nutty Professor," we see films with tremendous special effects. We began to see contrasts to the image of problem black men in "Boyz in the Hood" and "Menace to Society," and all the negative images of black ghetto gang-bangers. In "The Best Man," we end the decade seeing professional black men who are contributing to society. We began to see this broad range of black images and positive messages.

We really wanted to look at a variety of issues. Several of the films are on there because the way they got made was significant. Take "Get on the Bus," for example, 12 African American men put up the money to make sure that movie got made. That had never been done before. "Countdown at Kusini," with Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee, was financed by a black sorority, Delta Sigma Theta. They decided that they wanted to try something different. They had between 85,000 and 1000,000 members at any one time, and they thought that the film would be a success if they could get all their members to go and bring their family and friends. At the time, the mere idea was revolutionary. It didn't work very well, however, because the film had distribution problems. We were interested in looking at how these types of decisions might have changed the industry.

Sunday Q&A is a weekly discussion with a local expert on a current issue.

Let us know what you think of this story...

How many of the movies have you seen? If you had to make a list (you decide the #) of the MOST INFLENTIAL BLACK MOVIES ever made, which movies would be on your list?

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 07-04-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:10 PM
UMgirl

I've seen 11/50 (sad I know). However, even though Bebe's Kids was funny I could think of two other films to replace it. I am kind of surprised they weren't on the list.

Tuskegee Airmen, The Cotton Club and Soul Food
Old 07-05-2004, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Searching for something on GOOGLE and came across this article

9. Imitation of Life (ONLY THE 1959 version)

31. Cooley High 1975

38. Lean on Me 1989

43. Bebe's Kids 1992

44. Malcolm X 1992

47. Get on the Bus 1996

49. Eve's Bayou 1997

50. The Best Man 1999

15 of 50 for me. I need to think about what movies I would add to it. One I know off top is ROOTS (I know it is a mini-series and did not come to the big screen, blah blah blah but ROOTS is revolutionary to me still).
Old 07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
I didn;t see the Five Heartbeats on this list.... ...bogus
Old 07-06-2004, 12:14 AM
UMgirl

Re: Re: Searching for something on GOOGLE and came across this article

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

15 of 50 for me. I need to think about what movies I would add to it. One I know off top is ROOTS (I know it is a mini-series and did not come to the big screen, blah blah blah but ROOTS is revolutionary to me still).
Exactly! I was thinking about it too, but then realized the same thing.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

YAY! Countdown at Kusini made the list.

Distribution problems is an understatement. How about a sabotaging (mysterious disapperance) of equipment and tapes.

Also what about The Wood, Brothers, the Fridays, the Barber Shops and the House Partys (the original being the best)?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 07-06-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Searching for something on GOOGLE and came across this article

Not too bad....I've seen 37 out of the 50. Gotta love AMC, Fox Movie Channel and Turner Classic movies in the month of February! I looked up a few titles on imdb.com that sounded interesting, so hopefully I can catch some of them next year.

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

8. The Emperor Jones 1933

9. Imitation of Life 1934 & 1959

11. The Blood of Jesus 1941

12. Cabin in the Sky 1943

13. Stormy Weather 1943

15. The Jackie Robinson Story 1950

16. Carmen Jones 1954

20. Black Like Me 1964

22. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner 1967

24. Sweet Sweetback's Baadasss Song 1971

25. Shaft 1971

26. Buck and The Preacher 1972

27. Blackula 1972

28. The Spook Who Sat by the Door 1973

29. Coffy 1973

30. Claudine 1974

31. Cooley High 1975

33. Krush Groove 1985

36. Hollywood Shuffle 1987

37. A Dry White Season 1989

38. Lean on Me 1989

39. Glory 1989

40. Daughters of the Dust 1991

42. To Sleep with Anger 1991

43. Bebe's Kids 1992

44. Malcolm X 1992

47. Get on the Bus 1996

48. Amistad 1997 [i] I'm ashamed to say I haven't see all of this movie, but I will leave it up anyway since I've seen most of it [i]

49. Eve's Bayou 1997

50. The Best Man 1999

[
If you are talking about influential movies I think you have to add
New Jack City and Do the Right Thing.

Others That I would add are:
The Wiz
A Warm December ( a great love story! "Thank you for a warm December" *swoon*)
The Wiz (even with old Diana Ross as Dorothy! I'm a mean ol' Lion!)
For the love of Ivy (great social commentary, I think)
Cornbread, Earl and Me (again, great commentary, featuring a young Larry Fishburne)

I don't know if my adds are really infuential, but I think they are great movies

Last edited by Eclipse; 07-06-2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: So close to the city of Big Shoulders, that I can almost taste it
I've seen a few of the movies, but I think they should have added
Menace II Society, which was an awesome film, based loosely on Goodfellas and Love Jones. Love Jones is the most romantic film staring black folks that I have ever seen.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Searching for something on GOOGLE and came across this article

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
Not too bad....I've seen 37 out of the 50. Gotta love AMC, Fox Movie Channel and Turner Classic movies in the month of February! I looked up a few titles on imdb.com that sounded interesting, so hopefully I can catch some of them next year.

If you are talking about influential movies I think you have to add
New Jack City and Do the Right Thing.

Others That I would add are:
The Wiz
A Warm December ( a great love story! "Thank you for a warm December" *swoon*)
The Wiz (even with old Diana Ross as Dorothy! I'm a mean ol' Lion!)
For the love of Ivy (great social commentary, I think)
Cornbread, Earl and Me (again, great commentary, featuring a young Larry Fishburne)

I don't know if my adds are really infuential, but I think they are great movies
Co-sign
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering why The 5 Heartbeats was missing as well as Sparkle and REMEMBER THE TITANS.

I'll keep thinking and put together my final list of whatever number.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

The Trio channel allows celebrities to come in and do the programming for a week. Chuck D the program director this week and "Nothing But a Man" comes on on July 10th at 3:30. I'll certainly be setting my Tivo! Now I have 38!!

See a synopsis of the movie at www.triotv.com
Old 07-07-2004, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Down in the Delta was a great movie as well! But, the story is not about good or bad movies, but influential movies. If it were about good movies, I would disagree with a number of movies on the list, namely:Waiting to Exhale and The Best Man. There are a few movies on the list that I've never seen. Now I have a list for movie night.

However, I feel that everyone should see the following classics (personal favs): Imitation of Life, Cabin in the Sky, Stormy Weather, Carmen Jones, A Raisin in the Sun, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

Also, a great resource for learning more about Black films and actors is, Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies & Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films by Donald Bogle. It's great! I read this book in high school and I was introduced to people like, Dorothy Dandridge, Oscar Micheaux, Ethel Waters, and so on. If you've never read it, please do! It includes great pictures as well.