GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,422
0 members and 1,422 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

skit night

I think I've crawled this website over looking for skit ideas. We finally settled on a theme (actually, our MVP did....and I just have to write it) and now we have to get a skit. We're trying to do a fifties kinda thing, the whole diner deal. I just have no idea where to start when it comes to coming up with a skit from scratch. We're a relatively new chapter (10 years) and haven't found that one that works yet. If anyone has any scripts or stories, ANYTHING, I'd love to look at it, get ideas. I promise I won't steal it, I just don't know where to start!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

With a 50's theme you could do something like Grease....it's a theme I've seen before and if done right its really cute. It was a few years ago, but one thing I remember is that the chapter that did it re-wrote the words to "We Go Together" and instead of the "Pink Ladies" they had their sorority's letters. Things like that.
I don't know how much help I was, but hopefully this gave you some ideas as a jumping off point.

"When in doubt, do the Carlton"

Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Our school did away with skits several years ago, but the last one our chapter did was very well-received. We called it "ADPi through the years" and it was a series of sketches with song and dance relating to an era from the 1950's-Present.

We re-wrote the hand-jive song from Grease to some sorority-sounding lyrics, etc. We had featured singers, dancers and actors, but with certain parts allowed the whole chapter to sing or clap and participate.

It was a great skit to show off our chapter talent, very entertaining, and our return rates were incredible-- way higher than with the previously used skit set to "Annie."

I'd be happy to PM you what I remember about it.... you should also talk to your sorority's regional alumnae recruitment director. She has a ton of suggestions about what has worked for other chapters.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the Grease would be good for Gamma Phi Beta (or Phi Mu or DG) because you could still be the "Pink Ladies". You could make Poodle skirts with Cresents (or letters, or a local mascot, if you have one) instead of Poodles. Poodle skirts are actually very easy to make...I made one once for a costume party (only I used a frog on a lilypad instead of a poodle ).
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

OOOO - we did this! We had car hops on skates serve the little Coke bottles with straws - we had the diner napkin holders on the table and a brick wall (made with sponges on paper) background with spray painted "Go Gamma Phi" "Crescents and Pearls", graffiti(sp?)etc.I know we redid "We go together" for the big finale. We also did the telephone skit from "Bye, Bye Birdie" (wonder if my big sis remembers the words?) I remember "Going Gamma, Going Gamma, going Gamma Phi Beta for good!".
We also did "Let's Hang on to what we've got" (Frankie Valli and the 4 SEasons) - we changed it to "So you say you're gonna graduate, gonna leave us now . . .and then going "Gamma Phi" for all the 4 Seasons back bits. "That little pin of gold and pearls, ain't a fortune girl, but you know it stands for our love (Gamma Phi) - wish I could be more help. You can do CUTE felt poodle skirts with crescents.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember one house with a 50s theme (either DZ or DG- 15 years later I get confused), but rather than Grease, they did "Happy Days". They sang the theme song "Sunday Monday, DZ Days, Tuesday, Wednesday, DZ Days, Happy Days.." And the set looked somewhat like the inside of the diner. They even had one character that was "The Fonz".
Old 07-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

LOL - I can remember doing this! We had people driving over about eight states looking for those Cokes in the bottles!

The poodle skirts are really easy to make, and you can burn a cd of 50's hits, with one that someone can sing to - ours was "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee". It really lends to being parodied. Have a lot of wide ribbon in your sorority colors for everyone's ponytail, and inexpensive sneakers can become saddle shoes with a magic marker. Borrow charm bracelets and class rings.

I'm thinking of at least two different catalogs that sell Fifties Theme items - at a convention I attend, we did a 50's party about five years ago. Either Sam's Club or Costco (I forget which) made little White Castle sized sandwiches, and a cake that was shaped like a record. The title of the record should be whatever you call your party, or some song with your letters on it. We hung 45's from the ceiling, and had a fake jukebox. I've heard of groups putting member's faces on the middle of the 45's.

If there's a 50's style diner around you, or if any of your sisters live in the DC area (the Silver Diner), pick up the little cardboard cars they give with children's meals. They're perfect for chips or pretzels.

Last edited by honeychile; 07-14-2007 at 12:23 AM.