GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,344
3 members and 1,341 guests
John, MethrenLusia

Old 07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

A question about bid lists...

I have to preface my question with the statement that since I am an alumnae initiate from 2005, I've never been on the collegiate side of formal recruitment and the chapter I advise does a partially structured recruitment, which majorly differers from what I know of formal at other schools.

I'm not trying to get into the specifics of the MS process, but when it comes to the bid lists that are turned into the school, is it a usual practice that the lists are done in alphabetical order? I can see how this should not effect "Suzie Creamcheese" the PNM, on the ABC sororitiy's first bid list, but what about "Stacey Xylophone" who is on ABC's second list? Are her chances of recieving a bid from ABC dramatically reduced when they move to thier second bid list, just because her name starts with a letter that is further down the alphabet? Would this put the PNM "Julie Anderson" who is also on the 2nd list, at a better advantage because of her last name, as all the spots may be filled before they had the chance to get to "Stacey Xylophone", who they like just as much.

Please correct me if I am getting this wrong, I am just trying to better familiarize myself with how the process works at other schools...Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM

It's which list they are on, not where they are on the list. Plus, there aren't more girls on each bid list than what the quota number is.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

So let's say quota is 20.

Would ABC's first bid list have 20 names, with the same being said for the second bid list? (40 girls total on 2 seperate lists)
During the matching process, ABC has only matched up with 19 names on their first list.

They would then go to their second list. Both Julie Anderson and Stacey Xylophone are on the second list and they both had marked ABC as their #1 choice. Since there is only one more spot open, how would it be determined who gets the bid, Julie Anderson and Stacey Xylophone if the names are listed alphabetically on the bid lists?

I'm sorry to sound so ignorant, but I've read so much about mismatching, girls left bidless, etc...I want to make sure I am grasping the process...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

You may want to ask a member of your sorority privately about how your group organizes recruitment and bidding.

Bid Lists and the way each sorority arranges its lists may vary, and starts to wade into the territory of private membership selection practices...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious too....Maybe thats a situation of quota plus? That would only apply to a chapter that was NOT already over total though right? If Julie Anderson and Stacey Xylophone both put ABC as their first choice, and they were both on bid list 2, if the chapter was already above total, then they could only get quota, but if the chapter was not at total, they could get quota plus (up to putting them at total) with as many girls who listed them as first pick, that the chapter also picked, right? I'm clueless about this stuff. My school doesnt have total or quota (yet). Basically, right now, each PNM gets her first choice, as long as the chapter also wants her. I'm trying to learn all this stuff too, since I'm going to be an advisor at another campus starting with the next officer elections. =)
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 AM

OK, this isn't a specific sorority question, this is a Panhell question. When the Panhell matches bids, do they (either by hand or by computer) start with Annie Alpha & end w/ Zoe Zeta?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it violates MS to say that Panhellenic suggests that the first bid list is in alphabetic order, for ease of matching. The remainder of the list is in order of preference.

So, if "Stacey Xylophone" is the first person on the second list she will be the next person to move onto the first list and would receive a bid before "Julie Anderson" if Julie is below her on the second list.

On campuses using ICS it doesn’t even matter if the first list in in alphabetic order.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM

When I've helped with bid matching, chapters were asked to submit bid lists with the #1 list in alphabetical order and the remaining list(s) in order of ranking.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
You may want to ask a member of your sorority privately about how your group organizes recruitment and bidding.

Bid Lists and the way each sorority arranges its lists may vary, and starts to wade into the territory of private membership selection practices...
Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm not asking for details on how the PNM's are chosen to be on those bid lists, I really just wanted to know if the second bid lists were also in alphabetical order (like the 1st bid lists are) if that were the case, how would that effect bid matching. I guess I didn't word my question the way I intended.

Thanks to lyrelyre for answering my question; I am familliar with how it works within Gamma Phi at our university, but after reading numerous posts on Greekchat about bid matching at large SEC schools I was admittedly confused.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
At my school we also use the ICS and it makes great sense that say quota is 45 and your top 45 go in alphabetical because you want all of them so they'd match all the ones on there that wanted you back first and then if they wanted someone else you'd move down to the 2nd bid list which will be in ranking order because you'd to replace Super Susie PNM and SGA Serena who wanted XYZ instead with the most stellar "back-up" as possible.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrelyre View Post
I don't think it violates MS to say that Panhellenic suggests that the first bid list is in alphabetic order, for ease of matching. The remainder of the list is in order of preference.

So, if "Stacey Xylophone" is the first person on the second list she will be the next person to move onto the first list and would receive a bid before "Julie Anderson" if Julie is below her on the second list.

On campuses using ICS it doesn’t even matter if the first list in in alphabetic order.

I hope that helps.
I mean when Panhell is calling out names (so to speak) - do they (i.e. the Panhell officers) do so alphabetically?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
First bid list is (or can be) in alphabetical order. Order on first bid list doesn't matter, because once a name in on the first bid list it stays there until she gets a bid from you or from someone else. So, Abigal Adams has the same
chance to get a bid if on the first bid list as does Zoie Zimmerman. Each are on the first bid list and getting a bid depends on where they've ranked the chapter, where they've ranked other chapters, and where they are on other chapter's bid lists.

Second bid list must be in the order that the chapter wants the PNM not alphabetical. Its order does matter. If quota is 20, first bid list has 20 names and second bid list has as many additional names as 1) attended preference and 2) as many additional PNMs the chapter is willing to extend a bid to beyond those who attended preference.

So, if quota is 20 and if the chapter matches 15 on the first bid list and 5 go elsewhere then the first 5 names on the second list move on to the first bid list as the other 5 move off and will be offered a bid if they put the chapter first or when their first choice fills quota. Names move on to the first bid list from the second in the order they are in on the second bid list. So it matters if Susie Smith is #21 (ie #1 on the second bid list) or #45 (ie #25 on the second bid list) in the first case, there's a good chance of getting on to the first bid list and getting a bid, in the second there's probably not. It depends on where on the bid list the chapter hits quota.

So first bid list may be alphabetical .. I think that was done to make hand bid matching easier ... but doesn't have to be. Second bid list MUST be in the order the chapter wants them, not alphabetical. How the chapter makes up the first bid list and orders the second is up to the chapter ... that part is membership selection information.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 07-06-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I mean when Panhell is calling out names (so to speak) - do they (i.e. the Panhell officers) do so alphabetically?
Yes they do - when matching is done by hand. AZ-AlphaXi's description on how to arrange bid lists is great.

And now to throw a further wrench into it. I'll bring up the topic of Quota Range! With the new RFM, Quota is not determined until AFTER chapters have submitted their lists and PNMs have ranked. Let's say Quota Range has been determined to be 30-34. So the question would be - how many names do we put on our first bid list? Two options:

1 - Put 30 on your first bid list in alphabetical order, and arrange the second bid list in ranking order. So if quota winds up being 34, #s 31, 32, 33, and 34 are automatically bumped up.

2 - Another option that campuses that do QR either already do or are considering is to have ONE bid list with everyone in ranking order - period.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all!

Thanks for all your responses, the process makes much more sense to me now! I really appreciate the help!

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
Yes they do - when matching is done by hand. AZ-AlphaXi's description on how to arrange bid lists is great.

And now to throw a further wrench into it. I'll bring up the topic of Quota Range! With the new RFM, Quota is not determined until AFTER chapters have submitted their lists and PNMs have ranked. Let's say Quota Range has been determined to be 30-34. So the question would be - how many names do we put on our first bid list? Two options:

1 - Put 30 on your first bid list in alphabetical order, and arrange the second bid list in ranking order. So if quota winds up being 34, #s 31, 32, 33, and 34 are automatically bumped up.

2 - Another option that campuses that do QR either already do or are considering is to have ONE bid list with everyone in ranking order - period.
Alphabetization is for ease-of-use on campuses that are still hand matching. If you use a computer program, I can't think of any reason it would matter.

On a related note, why are campuses still hand matching?