GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,308
1 members and 2,307 guests
zalusyandexto90

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

thank.s to sharing nice stuff
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Never chase liquor with beer.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JessicaSideways Send a message via MSN to JessicaSideways Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaSideways Send a message via Skype™ to JessicaSideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Most campuses have Blue Emergency Light stations. Know where they are. Ususally there are enough that you can keep one in sight at all times.
I know for a fact that many parking lots on the Hill here in Boulder, CO for many establishments and shopping centres have those same Emergency lights. This is worth noting as many houses (if not all) are in the Hill but the Hill is not CU property. Furthermore, the Boulder Police have a station in the Hill neighbourhood (13th & College), so it's quite possible you can get a fast response from either Boulder or CU-Boulder police (I see them driving around my apartment complex pretty often because we're on the East side of CU).
Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
LOCK YOUR LAPTOP when you're not in your room. In fact, I always suggest that Freshmen get desktop computers instead.

Guys: NO MEANS NO. Always. Just stop. And a yes when a girl has been drinking is STILL a no. Just walk away.

That's all I can think of right this second.
Just a quick note on this from a friend of mine who is a wealth of information on the subject of sexual assault.

In most states, there is a law that states that when a person is under the influence of any mind-altering substances, such as drugs or alcohol, they cannot legally consent.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerylle View Post
Just a quick note on this from a friend of mine who is a wealth of information on the subject of sexual assault.

In most states, there is a law that states that when a person is under the influence of any mind-altering substances, such as drugs or alcohol, they cannot legally consent.
Yeah, this is true, however it gets into a lot of really fuzzy places when both parties are drunk. /topic best saved for someplace other than GC or even its own thread. But, if guys have gone to the trouble of getting consent, getting a specific YES, it will go a long way towards protecting both parties.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't be afraid to be a stick in the mud.

My first night on campus - some girls on my hall talked me into attending an off campus party with some guys they "sort of" knew. Being lonely, I went. 90% of the way to their apartment, sitting on the lap of one of the guys (because there weren't enough seats in the car), I realized the driver and all the guys were drunk. By then we were out in a wooded part of town not anywhere near campus, so I waited the last two minutes until we got to their apartment. I walked inside, took one look around at the scene - many drunk upperclassmen males, three freshman girls - and I asked for a phonebook and called a taxi. Everyone in the apartment made fun of me, and I spent a lonely night back in the dorms. The next day I heard from the two girls about an extended night of drinking, drunk driving, and near sexual assault, and I knew I'd made the right choice.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug! View Post

My first night on campus - some girls on my hall talked me into attending an off campus party with some guys they "sort of" knew. Being lonely, I went. 90% of the way to their apartment, sitting on the lap of one of the guys (because there weren't enough seats in the car), I realized the driver and all the guys were drunk. By then we were out in a wooded part of town not anywhere near campus, so I waited the last two minutes until we got to their apartment. I walked inside, took one look around at the scene - many drunk upperclassmen males, three freshman girls - and I asked for a phonebook and called a taxi. Everyone in the apartment made fun of me, and I spent a lonely night back in the dorms. The next day I heard from the two girls about an extended night of drinking, drunk driving, and near sexual assault, and I knew I'd made the right choice.

Similarly, trust your instincts. If you're wrong, you'll miss nothing more than one night out. If you're right, you've protected yourself and maybe a friend too.

If you feel uncomfortable, leave.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

-Keep your dorm room locked, and have a talk with your roomate about them doing so as well.
-Don't walk alone at night.
-Avoid drunken sex. There are so many ways that can go wrong.
-Know your limits when you drink. You CAN end up in the hospital from drinking too much, too fast. Or...you can end up dead. Don't avoid calling 911 when your friend is obviously not ok because you think you'll get arrested.
-If you're going to do drugs, do not mix them. This is something I keep hearing about and it's alarming. Taking a couple of Kolonopin that are not prescribed to you is a bad idea to begin with, but doing that and then drinking is just stupid. Mixing uppers and downers is dangerous. Just because it comes in a pill doesn't mean it's "safe".
-Get a ride when you drink, period. Do not drive yourself home.
-Herpes is treatable, not curable. You're not immune just because you aren't a "slut". Wrap it up.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-14-2010, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yeah, I should mention the ending to this story also.

One of these girls - the one who made the most fun of me in front of the guys - well, she also made fun of me the next day, in front of my whole hall at our first hall meeting. She also told everyone about how two of the guys were groping her, and she didn't want to "do" both of them, so she chose one of them for her "affections". All of this was related in an "I'm so mature and cool and knowledgeable" manner, with several snide remarks about how I "fled" the party.

I rushed as a freshman. She waited and rushed as a sophomore. I didn't forget, and apparently neither did the other girls on our hall who rushed as freshman. She did not receive a bid anywhere.

First impressions, even as early as the first night on campus, can last a LONG time.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, I should mention the ending to this story also.

One of these girls - the one who made the most fun of me in front of the guys - well, she also made fun of me the next day, in front of my whole hall at our first hall meeting. She also told everyone about how two of the guys were groping her, and she didn't want to "do" both of them, so she chose one of them for her "affections". All of this was related in an "I'm so mature and cool and knowledgeable" manner, with several snide remarks about how I "fled" the party.

I rushed as a freshman. She waited and rushed as a sophomore. I didn't forget, and apparently neither did the other girls on our hall who rushed as freshman. She did not receive a bid anywhere.

First impressions, even as early as the first night on campus, can last a LONG time.
Very true.

And seriously? What about neither of them?

Groucho Marx
Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, neither would have been my answer, but apparently she's a lesser of two evils girl.

I still remember the girl's name. And that was a long time ago. Taught me a big lesson about first impressions and trusting your instincts. I think the taxi driver was used to that sort of call, because I remember he only charged me $5 for what should have been a $20 ride and told me to have a safe night when I got back to my dorm.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, neither would have been my answer, but apparently she's a lesser of two evils girl.

I still remember the girl's name. And that was a long time ago. Taught me a big lesson about first impressions and trusting your instincts. I think the taxi driver was used to that sort of call, because I remember he only charged me $5 for what should have been a $20 ride and told me to have a safe night when I got back to my dorm.
I mean I'm open minded and all, but damn...what happened to self respect and being selective? (I've heard that same thing from friends of mine. Never understood it.)

Yeah it's a good story to retell because I'm betting many freshmen will be in your shoes. Nice taxi driver. Glad you were the smart one.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Loneliest night of my life, but I learned a lot from it. Also one of those nights that make you wish you hadn't gone far away from home to college (very much a Charlotte Simmons moment for me), but then soon after I rushed and pledged and made friends in other organizations and realized that most girls on campus were nothing like Miss Not-So-Choosy.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Yeah, this is true, however it gets into a lot of really fuzzy places when both parties are drunk. /topic best saved for someplace other than GC or even its own thread. But, if guys have gone to the trouble of getting consent, getting a specific YES, it will go a long way towards protecting both parties.
Right, of course. I was just pointing out that it's a law in most states. Ironic that you bring up the mutual drunk point though, as that's what my friend and I were discussing last night. It was a rather amusing conversation to say the least.

Also, thanks for all the tips everyone. Dunno if anyone has actually come out and thanked you all, but I know all of these will probably come in handy the first few weeks of school.

I <3 Greek Chat.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

It's good to learn that some students at Texas are making the effort to get help for roommates / friends who have alcohol poisoning symptoms. Station KXAN reports:

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/educati...ts-ut-students

Excerpts: [I]
ALMETRIS DUREN HALL, 2624 Whitis Ave: Public Intoxication / Consumption of Alcohol by a Minor: A UT student heard her roommate having an extreme physical reaction to the over consumption of alcohol. The student found her roommate sitting on the shower floor not being responsive. UT Police Officers arrived and detected a very strong odor of alcohol on the UT student's breath and the wafting aroma of vomit. Austin EMS treated the subject at the scene for alcohol poisoning. During the investigation, the officers learned the student was in the process of pledging a sorority. Occurred on: 8-25-10, at 3:43 AM.

HARDIN HOUSE, 2206 Rio Grande: Assist Outside Agency / Public Intoxication: A UT student notified the UT Police Department that her roommate was involved in the pledging process and was bidding to join a sorority. The student reported finding her roommate inside their bathroom losing consciousness and foaming at the mouth. Due to the seriousness of the call, the UT Police Officers responded along with Austin EMS. Occurred on: 8-25-10, at 2:59 AM.[/B]