GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,197
1 members and 2,196 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't sleep last night ... All I could do was dream about sororities ...

They didn't rush Friday night. I think it's because they couldn't jam 7 45-minutes parties with 15 minute breaks into a Friday night schedule. It's not just weird that bid day is Monday, it sucks! The Panhell website does not say what time bids are distributed, but I'm sure it's later. Can you imagine going to classes with this on your mind?

Good luck to all the girls, their mothers, aunts, sisters, grandmothers, godmothers, cousins and everyone else rooting for them on this board!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Rough day for us at first as her favorite did not invite her back.
Sad for me as I was hoping to be traveling down for the ceremony
But she has 7 amazing houses to visit today and she just needed to hear that she was loved and important. Any type of rejection is hard, but we talked about it and it's how you handle rejection that makes you who you are. It's easy when everything goes right, but we all know the best lives are ones with hills, valleys and mountains. I know my girl, and she will call later and be upbeat and positive and excited. Even though we say it a million times, it can be said again, please pnms keeps your hearts and minds open to the whole process.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM

I've heard of more than one school having Bid Day on a school night to cut down on the partying.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Clara mom.. good luck! Try to relax.. Hopefully all will turn out great! I'm pulling for you and your daughter!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Maryland always has Bid Day on a weeknight, usually on a Monday. Doesn't seem strange to me. It's just how we always scheduled it. Round 1 used to be Sat-Sun, Round 2 would be Tues-Wed, Round 3 on Fri, Pref on Sun, Bid Day Mon. Now they do weekends only, with Round 1 on Fri-Sat, Round 2 on Sun, Round 3 the following Fri, Pref on Sun, Bid Day Mon. I think because chapters decorate the most for round 3 and pref, there's too much take-down and set-up to have those two rounds back to back. They had round 3 on Fri and Pref on Sat my sophomore year and it was hell. They have Saturday off to give everyone a breather.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
DG Illinois, I hope Ava is having a great day! That's so great that she still has so many options (a full schedule!)

Clara Mom, how's the day going for your daughter?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec girl has a full schedule today! She will be returning to:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Delta
Delta Zeta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Old 09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Sending positive thoughts to all the U of I girls and their supporters!!! I know it must be emotionally draining on all with it being so spread out!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

DG Illinois, was it a legacy chapter that did not invite your daughter back?? Ahhh, that happened to my daughter when she rushed three years ago. It hurts when your sorority drops your own daughter!! I actually had to put my badge in the back of a drawer for months!! Just couldn't look at it because it hurt my heart too much!! But, hey, my daughter had a great outcome and is happy as can be in her sorority!! So, yes, your girl will be just fine too!!

Loving this thread!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
The last party is wrapping up! 4 more parties tomorrow (pmns can only visit up to 3) and we're done!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=lovespink88;2092064]DG Illinois, I hope Ava is having a great day! That's so great that she still has so many options (a full schedule!)

Thanks so much! She is a wonderful girl and she has a lot of wonderful options, I am excited for her because I know she will embrace the house that wants her with open arms.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My poor daughter had her heart broken again, and again, and again. She was invited back to only six houses, but not the three she fell in love with last week. She can't really see herself in any of the remaining six, and had a tough time deciding which to preference. I don't think her heart is in at all ...

Last edited by Clara Mom; 09-17-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Doing two things at once ...
Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOwl View Post
DG Illinois, was it a legacy chapter that did not invite your daughter back?? Ahhh, that happened to my daughter when she rushed three years ago. It hurts when your sorority drops your own daughter!! I actually had to put my badge in the back of a drawer for months!! Just couldn't look at it because it hurt my heart too much!! But, hey, my daughter had a great outcome and is happy as can be in her sorority!! So, yes, your girl will be just fine too!!

Loving this thread!!!
Thanks! No I am actually her Aunt so she was not a legagy. My sister was in a different house there though and that house is still on her schedule so my sister is so excited. We are just very close and I tried to convince her that maybe she loved my house so much because she loves me so much. She is excited about the houses she is visiting today, I just think it's a little scary because she told me she's afraid to really bond with anyone in case they don't invite her back tomorrow. I reminded her this process is hard but worth it, throw yourself into these parties and be yourself and don't worry about invites. I know it's easy to say, but I just keep saying positive things over and over again and hope that it sinks in somewhere.

I'm sorry about your daughter and I would be very sad if the same happened to my daughters. But reading that your daughter found her home in a house with different letters and is so happy shows that it is really something that is probably much more important to me because I want to share that with them. But what I truly want is for my daughters to be happy just like we all do. (Thankfully that's a long while away). I can say that the 4 years I was there we really took our legacies in almost every situation. I don't want anyone to get mad at me, I realize the number of legacies is much larger now, but there was no way any of us wanted to call the legacy and advise them their daughter was not returning. I never met any rushee (as we would say) that didn't have special qualities that we would love, so there was never a valid reason to not invite them to join our house.

I appreciate this site so much though because it really helps me understand how today is so different in regards to legacies and RFM.
I will be better able to prepare my daughters for the expectaton of what rush is today and to go into it with an open heart and to expect some parts of it to be difficult. Also I love that I am a legagy to my biological daughter and my beautiful step-daughter who I am lucky enough to have in my life! They are the same exact age too, so I will need all of you when I have both my girls going through at the same time!

And I didn't change the font in italics to be dramatic, it just happened and I'm too lazy to rewrite everything !

Last edited by DG Illinois; 09-17-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Mom View Post
My poor daughter had her heart broken again, and again, and again. She was invited back to only six houses, but not the three she fell in love with last week. She can't really see herself in any of the remaining six, and had a tough time deciding which to early preference. I don't think her heart is in at all ...
Oh, I hope she regains her balance. SIX chapters still really want her; I'm sure there has to be at least one that she would love. Please, please, please talk her into at least finishing the process.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Mom View Post
My poor daughter had her heart broken again, and again, and again. She was invited back to only six houses, but not the three she fell in love with last week. She can't really see herself in any of the remaining six, and had a tough time deciding which to early preference. I don't think her heart is in at all ...

I was worried when we hadn't heard from you yet and I did send you a pm early this morning so I hope you got it and knew I was thinking about you. I don't know what early preference is, but maybe I'm reading this wrong. I just hope she went back to all the houses she could today.
The last parties are really great and pref night at every house is a magical experience that can really give your daughter insight on how much these girls would love to have her.