GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,136
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PoodleDeNovo24
» Online Users: 1,117
3 members and 1,114 guests
Cookiez17, flamboyanttree, MSKKG

Old 07-05-2015, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Unfortunately, going outside of the membership to fill positions and create programs is depressingly common nowadays. This happens to be a very fraught and very extreme case.

I also think they would have been better served by hiring someone older. If the racism within the fraternity as a whole really is so prevalent as to create this position, they need someone who will be able to make a dent with alumni as well.
I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
There are actually two issues, here, in internal vs. external and white guy vs. not white guy, and in both cases, it seems the former may have more credibility with members, but the optics of it may be worse for outside observers.

Which is to say...there are down sides to any combination...at least from the perspectives that can be espoused by people with no actual insight into the candidates and hiring process (i.e. us).

White guy member: they aren't really interested in change
Non-white guy member: they are tokenizing and putting the responsibility for diversity on their non-white members.
White guy non-member: they aren't even interested in diverse hiring
Non-white guy non-member: magical negro

Ultimately, I hope they chose the person who will affect the most change, and that it works out well for both SAE and Ms. Canty.
That's a good way to look at it. I wish the best for her also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I debated about posting this at all, as I was pretty sure that there would be those who would nitpick and be unhappy, no matter what SAE did.
I am neither happy nor unhappy. I am having a conversation just like you are. I honestly wasn't thinking of SAE at all until this was posted. The problem is that they are trying to turn this hire INTO a public relations solution, and that deserves to be critiqued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I don't know if they "exhausted every avenue," but I have several friends in student affairs who are active SAE alumni. I can ask if they even were interested (most are leaning towards the deanery track).
I would be curious to know the response. If this thread dies out, feel free to PM me if their answer is intriguing.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Given the public relations debacle that the initial reports incited, SAE would be remiss if they didn't take into account the p.r. ramifications of the person they hired. It seems to me that the new director has a couple of things going for her - she is a Greek, with experience working with two different Greek systems, and as an outsider to SAE specifically she will be in a position to analyze the various programs from, hopefully, a more objective perspective than perhaps a member would. Ultimately, I join with many of you in hoping this brings about the kind of positive change that will SAE is looking to try and institute.