GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,398
0 members and 1,398 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

If you could send your daughter anywhere...

I was enjoying looking at all the retro pictures in the epic thread. I started thinking about how neat it would be if my daughter (who is only four) ended up at a school with a really interesting Greek life.

I know we all want our daughters to go where they would be happy. But if you could choose to send her to a particular school and she would be successful in Greek life, where would you send her? And let's pretend you aren't going to send her to your alma mater. Where would you like to be a sorority mom and get to live vicariously through your daughter's experiences?

The one that really got me thinking about this is USC. The pictures of the USC Presents always catch my attention.

Obviously one of the bigger southern schools would be interesting although I can't say I'm drawn to any particular one off the top of my head...

What comes to your mind and why?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Seven Sisters

My daughter is only 11 but I recently started investigating the Seven Sisters schools for her. (Yes, I'm a planner.) I haven't lived in that part of the country and have very little exposure to them, but I think the environment and academics would be a good fit for her. However... I'm not sure if they have much of a Greek life at all. At one (Wellesley?) there were a few local societies that looked very much like sororities but I didn't see any other signs of Greek life at the other schools I looked at briefly.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I would definitely want her to go to my alma mater but given your premise, I would say either Ole Miss or LSU simply because I would want her to have a similar SEC Greek experience as I did.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

my daughter went to samford university. it was her top choice, and i can't think of another school that would have suited her so well. great greek life on a small campus, good academics, professors who know their students and want them to succeed, so i would choose samford.

if you are talking big school experience, i would say georgia or texas.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-16-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: because
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

I would choose for my youngest 3 daughters to go to some incredible university that has a *Pi Phi* chapter because it looks like none of their current choices have Pi Phi. I should bring that up to them.

I want to put my pin on someone.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

It pains me to say this, but I would NOT send my daughter to my alma mater. Gypsyboots is currently a senior there, but between my chapter not being there, the philosophy department being gutted (all professors are being made part-time), cutting my daughter's bus service, and the throwing away of massive amounts of money on a football team that will NEVER be able to compete with UT and A & M ( they are currently expanding the football stadium, which they currently can't fill - obviously, building more capacity is the answer) and the lack of panhellenic spirit I just wouldn't do it.

Looking ahead for my boys, I'd love them to go to A & M. They have an AMAZING Catholic community, and a good chapter of Sigma Chi . . .
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Seven Sisters

My mom went to Smith and for a time I considered going there myself so I do know a bit about them. They are the Five Sisters now as Vassar went coed and Radcliffe merged with Harvard. Barnard is the most normal of the five as it is affiliated with Columbia and a lot of girls go there as back door admission into Columbia. Smith, Bryn Maur and Wellesley have great academics. Don't know that much about Mt Holyoke. You just have to accept there is a big lesbian, bi and very liberal culture at these schools so they are not for everyone. No greek life so far as I know. An Ole Miss sorority girl would vomit and flee in terror if they ever visited any of these schools.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Assuming my daughter sticks with her plan of being a veterinarian, I would like to see her at one of the following:

Purdue
Clemson
Auburn
UPenn (only if a healthy scholarship is given)

Or stay close to home and go to Kentucky as they have a great pre-vet program.

Theta has chapters at all!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My girls went where I went: USC. We feel that it has incredible choices of high quality majors, big city but home and athletics. Yes, Greek life is strong, but one daughter didn't pledge and she loves SC and had a good time. Excellent alum networking. Extremely expensive however.

UCLA, if it recoups financially, is a possibility. And husband went to UPenn which he enjoyed.

.......but I'm sort of thinking for my grandchildren.......my last one is in college!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I'd love my future child (children?) to go to my alma mater--they will be a 4th generation Illini! My fiance's grandparents went there, his parents went there, we went there...
Old 07-16-2011, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVED going to Ohio State. I am a big-school other-than-liberal-arts big-sports kind of girl. I am thrilled one of my daughters is a very happy student at OSU. Great school, city, major/academics, friendly students, great athletics and school spirit. That being said, I would be more than happy if my next (imaginary) daughter went to (Oh Lord this so pains me to say this but) Michigan. Great school, academics, college town, friendly, great athletic tradition and school spirit. I would also take Boston College. Great school, academics, school spirit and athletics (especially ice hockey), Jesuit tradition, and I love Boston.

I know there are fabulous schools on the West Coast, it would just be too far for this mother's heart to have a child so far away. I already envy my friends whose kids are a couple of hours away. They go down for a quick overnight or even day trip. Hate' em.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:11 PM

I'd love for her to go anywhere where she's happy.

With that said, I am biased toward schools with traditional Greek Life (ex: the housing experience, Homecomings, etc.) and large selections of majors that are out-of-state. I'd really like for my kid to experience life FAR AWAY from me. That's a big group of schools to choose from.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I would probably stick with what my parents (and their parents) did, and have my kid go somewhere out of state. I think it's a really good experience to have, and it definitely made me more willing to come back to my hometown after college.

I would LOVE for my kid to go to my alma mater, as it would make her a 3rd generation student, but I want her to be happy. And ideally, at a school with Pi Phi, although I could never pin her since I lost my badge sophomore year (oops).
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...interesting question. If had to disqualifying my two alma maters, I would have to go with Stanford (...as much as it pains me, being a Cal alum) given the academic excellence, the ideal climate, the beautiful campus, and the strong intellectual atmosphere. Granted, they don't have my chapter there (anymore, at least). I guess if she were to apply and get accepted, I could start working a second job, get a second mortgage, and start collecting aluminum cans to pay for that adventure...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is a HS Jr and we are currently considering her college choices. Greek life is a must have for her based on her own choice. Also she strongly prefers campus' with Sorority housing and is interested in Graphic or Interior Design. This has limited our options and so far I find that my alma mater is the best match, but I'm not pleased with that. It is too close, my chapter is gone and was not selected in a recent expansion, and it is too urban. However, my oldest son is there and I am thrilled with that.
So does anyone know of a medium sized school, with good Graphic Design program and a strong greek life that is east of the Mississippi?